Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Seasons - ´the summer ´ or ´summer ´?    

Seasons - ´the summer ´ or ´summer ´?

sally259
United Kingdom

Seasons - ´the summer ´ or ´summer ´?

Hi
I was revising ´going to ´ and the seasons with a class of 11-year-olds the other day and I said, ´I ´m going to go skiing in winter. ´  The children asked me should have been ´I ´m going to go skiing in the winter. ´  After the question from the class I was confused myself.  Which one is correct?  I know you could say ´I ´m going to go skiing this winter. ´, but is it correct to use the season alone or not?  Thank you for reading.
Sally

16 Jun 2012      

yanogator
United States

In general, we use "in winter" to indicate the season in general over the years:

It snows a lot in winter.
Is it cold in your country in winter?
It ´s never cold there, except in winter.

You can use "in the winter" in any situation:

I ´m going to go skiing in the winter.
We always go to Florida in the winter.
It snows a lot in the winter.

Bruce

16 Jun 2012     

carinita
Argentina

mmmm...not clear for me In my opinion you shoudn´t use the article "the" unless you are referring to a specific winter or the next winter

16 Jun 2012     

foose1
United States

It ´s like Douglas says.  Both are correct.   When we talk normally we do not talk about the past winter unless we say so.  When we say, "I will be going skiing in the winter," it means the winter coming up.  Pretty simple huh?   People don ´t say, "Where are you going next winter" unless you are already in winter.    People say, "I am going skiing next winter" unless they are already in a winter.

John

16 Jun 2012     

carinita
Argentina

Shocked

16 Jun 2012     

sally259
United Kingdom

Thank you for your answers, they ´ve helped a lot.

16 Jun 2012     

carinita
Argentina

perhaps the article is allowed if you consider winter (or summer) as something unique

Extract from KNOCKOUT First Certificate Student ´s Book Oxford University Press:
The definite article is most often used: (...)
when there is only one (often in a particular context)
The sky is rather grey today.
Can I speak to the headmaster, please?
The view from this window is really lovely.

Now, examples given by Bruce are OK to me Thanks Sally

16 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

But people do say "Where are you going next winter?", even in the Spring or Summer, at least here in Ohio. I don ´t know where John lives, but it ´s pretty normal here.

Bruce

16 Jun 2012     

foose1
United States

I used to live in Arizona and I am now living in Thailand and believe me, I don ´t know when it is summer or winter here.     I agree with you Bruce.

John

16 Jun 2012     

chalii
Pakistan

cambridge says following words

the season between autumn and spring, lasting from November to March north of the equator and from May to September south of the equator, when the weather is coldest
Last winter we went skiing.
It ´s been a surprisingly mild winter.
I think you tend to eat more in the winter.

16 Jun 2012     

seheryeli03
Turkey

in the Winter, l think it is correct one.

16 Jun 2012     

1    2    Next >