Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I ´m lovin ´it    

I ´m lovin ´it

Anneclaire
Italy

I ´m lovin ´it

Hi!
I ´ve always had a question about the continuous form of LOVE. I ´ve always known that it ´s a verb that can ´t be used in the progressive form. But a famous fast food chain uses it in this way. Can one of you explain me if it ´s possibible to use these kind of verbs with a progressive form in some cases?
Thanks a lot!Smile

25 Jul 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yep, it ´s used as a stylistic device though it ´s not grammatically correct.
From a famous song for example "I ´m still loving you"
Sophia

25 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

I thoroughly disagree with the Grammar Girl article, as far as "love" goes. When we use it to mean something like "enjoy", it is definitely not purely a stative verb. "I ´m loving the weather this week" is definitely grammatically correct, because I ´m not talking about an ongoing feeling, just a feeling that is happening this week.

I ´m loving my vacation. I wish it wouldn ´t end!

I ´m loving getting to know ESL teachers from around the world.

Bruce

25 Jul 2012     

Anneclaire
Italy

Thx  a lot!

25 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

That ´s from an American point of view.
Isn´t it different for Brits though?
Sophia

25 Jul 2012     

Zora
Canada

I ´ve got to agree with Bruce here.

The ´problem � is lexical, not grammatical.

"I ´m lovin � it" means nothing else than "I ´m enjoying it very much".

Which works just fine in the progressive. This doesn ´t really break a grammatical rule, it ´s a new meaning for the word ´love �.

In fact, the OUP says that ´love as affection - to love somebody or something � is not used in the progressive... however, when OUP talks about love as ´enjoy � (which comes as another entry), it mentions nothing of the sort.

25 Jul 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Let ´s wait for a Briton´s opinion, Sophia, I guess the meaning ´enjoy � is American, all of my British dictionaries as well as grammar books and the online dictionaries such as:  http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/love?showCookiePolicy=true, for instance, don ´t mention ´enjoy �. 

I remember my American teacher of conversation many years ago during my university time teaching us that I´m loving sth is an American invention ;-) (I mean it´s an American use). Can anyone else confirm it? 

[update: I have just found an interesting post exchange here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=224731, btw. Wordreference.com is a fantastic linguistic source!)

25 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Linda: I must have been reading the wrong forumsConfused
I was sure it ´s a NAm use because it sounds fine to me. I speak NAm English which sometimes makes it tricky to teach using BrEn textbooks. For example, to me the verb fit has three identical forms - fit, fit, fit, so when a student asked about it for a multiple choice test for a sentence which demanded a past form, my answer was fit, alas, the key had fitted:)
BTW OALD (which has both variants AE & BE) has the "enjoy" meaning of love, and yes, it doesn ´t say anything about it not possible to be used in the progressive in that very meaning, although it doesn ´t give an example of such use either.
Sophia

25 Jul 2012     

Zora
Canada

Hi there Sophia,

I know what you mean, my first years teaching were ´odd � to say the least since I had to stick to BE. I still have problems (I start giggling inside) when I hear ´rubber �, ´fag �, ´pissed � (as in drunk), ´cock �... and a few others that have surely escaped me at this moment.

Regarding the past tense of ´fit � - ´usually � (and I say this because both forms are correct) when fit means ´adjust or put in �; we tend to used the past form ´fitted �.

The house was fitted with new windows. / She fitted him for the new suit.

Linda

25 Jul 2012     

afrodite
Italy

Ciao, c ´è un articolo che tratta proprio di questo argomento sulla rivista "Speak Up" di Maggio 2012, prova a dare un ´occhiata! Ciao, e buona estate!
Elena

25 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Elena: Hi Elena,
If your message is meant for Anneclaire only, it ´s better to send it by pm. If it is in the forum, then use English please.

@Linda: thanks for getting back to me and thanks for a tip on "fitted" I think it´s because it has a passive connotation and I know that´s the form to use in the passive, eh?

Sophia

25 Jul 2012     

1    2    Next >