Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To Israeli and Palestinian Fellow teachers    

To Israeli and Palestinian Fellow teachers

HARIM
Morocco

To Israeli and Palestinian Fellow teachers

Good morning my beloved brothers and sisters,

After seeing those horrible pictures of the Israeli repeated attacks on Gaza children,my students bring during the "picture talk" part of my lessons,I couldn�t sleep.The pictures of those innocent Palestinian children loomed large in my mind.
I asked myself,what have those innocent angels done to die like that? How would their relatives feel? Shall we blame their teachers because they taught them more hatered than love? 
What shall I do as a teacher to quench my students� thirst?
I decided at least to launch an anti-war campaign by devoting a whole reading lesson to calm down my students and to show them how precious life is for us and for the others. THIS IS A TEACHER�S DUTY,I think.

I hope your students will like it and we�ll work hand in hand for peace,joy and happiness.
I ended my lesson with Michael Jakson�s song"HEAL THE WORLD"

Teach love and peace and pray for long life to you,to your beloved ones and to this beautiful community.

HAVE A NICE DAY

14 Jan 2009      

eng789
Israel

How many times do we have to repeat this message.
THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL FORUM.   NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN WHAT YOU THINK IS HAPPENNING IN GAZA AND ISRAEL. 

I will say it again,  if the Hamas cowards will stop hiding their people, ammunition, and rockets in schools, then innocent children won�t get hurt.

The fact the thousands of rockets that the hamas have sent into Israel haven�t hit as many innocent people is just a matter of luck  And Israel has be suffering the baobardment for so many years.

Wake up.  Teaching kids about peace is not done by creating more hatred by cshowing them the types of pictures you have in  your wss.  I am appalled that you think that is the way to teacjh the subject of peace.

14 Jan 2009     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

PLEASE AVOID COMMENTS ON POLITICAL ISSUES TOO...

14 Jan 2009     

domnitza
Romania

Everybody has a sad story, a loss or a grief. But we do not read about them on the forum.
There are a lot of bad ugly things in this world. But I WILL NEVER TEACH my own child, my students about war; or about death. I WILL NEVER SHOW them pictures of dead people, because I want to send them a message. What kind of teacher would I be then?

I know that the internet has no limits. No boundaries. But doesn�t it have some common sense left? Some decency?

Many of us are not only teachers. We are parents. And we teach children who will become parents one day. What we choose to teach them about depends on each of us.

And again, I WILL NEVER TEACH them about violence, death, war, murder.

14 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Dear Harim

All sensitive human being suffers terribly at seeing cruelty, injustice, death, suffering...
Not to talk when children are involved.

We are living in a society that is becoming more and more aggressive, violent, intolerant...day by day.
We are not to be blamed on what�s happening in the world, but we may help giving support and showing the benefits of trying to live in harmony.

Personally, I never use names, flags, colours, etc which could identify one side or the other.
We are all the same and we should live in peace.
Peace builds, war destroys.
Equality, respect, tolerance, peace...and something very important: all that we give, we�ll receive.
That is simply LIFE (no political or religious association here, which, by the way, as teachers we should avoid using here or anywhere else)

Our work is becoming more difficult as time goes by as we have to deal with so many other things...apart from teaching the language.

14 Jan 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

THanks a lot for your ideas although I�ll never agree with people who say we shouldn�t talk about such and such topics,We shouldn�t put these in this forum...... I don�t believe in taboos.....

Believe it or not,my students� blood ,as well as the blood of millions ,is boiling and I try to soothe them by puting the blame on both sides.Can you stop your students and your children from taking part in anti-war demonstrations?

Teach peace,Teach peace,Teach peace.I didn�t show the stories and the photos my students� downloaded from millions of resources.I didn�t blame anyone and I intentionally used that old picture to tell them that you can be killed by your own gun.I could have uploaded rampant photos of the UN school massacre but this isn�t my duty.
I hate today�s politics and politicians and I love teaching and teachers who can make better peaceloving nations and politicians.

Peace and love will prevail over hatered

14 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Dear Harim & fellow community members,

the world is not getting worse day by day - a brief look at 20th century history & senseless slaughters will make that obvious.

I�m impressed that Harim believes it is part of our role as educators to spread a message of peace, understanding & goodwill. He acknowledges that we are all people & should care for & love each other. He cares enough to try & teach his students this too.
I�ll give you some feedback about your worksheet & why it isn�t appropriate in it�s current format, but it will take me a couple of days to do so as I�m flat out until Saturday.

Saying that, though, it is important to note that this is not a political forum. I don�t know if anyone else has actually viewed his worksheet - it may be more appropriate for older students (statement edited). Personally I see nothing wrong with introducing peace resolution topics as a worksheet. If I get time I�ll make one myself - but it will be apolitical & aimed at encouraging students to think about the world, international & interpersonal relations.

Harim�s post is significantly different from the other posts I was upset by as he has made it clear he is not pointing the finger of blame at one side, he wants both sides (& everyone) to find a way to peace. I�m a little more upset with the way some of the responses seem to read - they are far more biased than the original post.

Well, that�s enough of my rant for now...

p.s. I was writing this at the same time that Harim posted his response. After reading it I am even more convinced he is a compassionate individual trying to do the best that he can to help improve the world around him.

14 Jan 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

TO Alien boy,

Thanks for your feedback and your understanding.But I�m looking forward to your apology about your wrong evaluation of the language of the text or else we�ll ask other teachers to judge.
All the best 

14 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Harim, I have sent you a reply so you understand why I made the observations. As stated, I am removing the comment - but no apology as yet. Consider the feedback I give you first.

Regards,
Bryce

14 Jan 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

I see no reason why Alien Boy should apologize for providing us with feedback on our worksheets. We are teachers, not students and, as such, have to learn to accept other people�s commments on our work to improve it. Many of us are not native speakers and continue making mistakes because it is unavoidable, as it is part of the learning process. So, if comments on our grammar or spelling mistakes help us gain proficiency in English, it is not bad. It always depends on how those corrections are made (whether they are constructive or destructive).

14 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hmm, I may well be asking for an apology for the demand of an apology! Wink

But lets not get too hasty....

14 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >