Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar dilemma    

Grammar dilemma

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Grammar dilemma

Hello, everybody! 
It seems to me that this question has already been discussed, but I can �t find the thread needed. By the way, where is the button "subscribed threads" now? I can �t find it either.

Anyway, closer to the subject...
Which variants are correct:

There is/are an apple and two bananas in the bowl.

Two bananas and an apple are/is in the bowl.

It was/were they who switched off the light.

The island that / which I go oh holiday is a beatiful place. - I think we can use bith variants here, but is there any difference in meaning? And can we always substitude which for that?

The man who / that is waiting for you has a smile on his face.

Tiger �s paws/ the paws of the tiger?

Sorry for such a bunch of questions, there �s a huge pile of them in my head, and I want to get rid of at least some of them. Thanks in advance.

23 Oct 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The "My followed topics"(i.e. subscribed threads) is under the "What �s hot" heading on the left.
Sophia

23 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

I would say...

1. There are an apple and two bananas (because the emphasis is on there being several things)

2. Two bananas and an apple are in the bowl (too many things to be singular)

3. It was they who switched or turned off the lighs (because the primary subject is impersonal)

4. I �d say both are incorrect. The island that / which I go on holiday to sounds better.

5. Both are possible and correct in this sentence.

6. Both are fine.

Hope it helped.

Smile

23 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I beg to differ: There �s an apple and two bananas BUT There are two bananas and an apple. The choice depends on the first word.

The man who is waiting for you.../ The man waiting for you...

As to the sentence with island, I �d say:
The island where I go on holiday... where can be substituted with which/that +preposition and in that case they can be omitted:
The island I go on holiday to...
As to which and that, there �s no difference and they are interchangeable.

Sophia

23 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1. There is an apple and two bananas... (I think it �s only the plural �are � when the verb follows the nouns), so

2. An apple and two bananas are...

It was them who switched the lights off, or � they are the ones who switched the lights off� ..

I prefer �the island that... � but I would miss it out anyway,. �the island we go to on holiday... �

The man who...

The tiger �s paws... I suppose you may say �the paws of the tiger �, depending on context. 

23 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@ Lynne: you probably haven �t watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X4qi7AwDQI:) (0:58 -1:02)

It was they who ...
though many natives intuitively would use them.

Sophia

23 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

What a delightful lesson, Sophia. Smile

23 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

Hilarious video, Sophia!

23 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Sophia, I have seen that video. It �s hilarious and I sent the link to all my colleagues. I think it was Redbull who posted it a while ago. Btw, where is he? 

I am sticking to my guns! It was them who switched the light off. Nobody would say �It was they who switched the light off. � You would be laughed out of the room. What is the explanation? Them is for emphasis, as in �it was them, not us, or not him... � Otherwise, you would simply say, �They switched the light off �. Well, that �s the best explanation I can give. 

When I was at school, we were taught, �It is I � but we all knew everyone says �It �s me. � 
Same difference!   

23 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

but...

who is them? Only they can be  Wacko

23 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Pilar, I don �t really understand your question... Signing off now. Let �s see if anyone else has anything to say.

23 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >