Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need your answers to my questions    

I need your answers to my questions

oumsalsabil
Algeria

I need your answers to my questions

My first question is
what do we mean by school-days? Does the term mean only the time (years) one spent at school as a student of course, or we can also use it to refer to the weekdays when the student has school that is to say  weekends are not included?
My second question is:
what is the function of the -ing form of buy & increase in the two following sentences is it a verb or a noun?
 1- They prefer buying organic food.
  2- The eating  of organic food will keep increasing.
THANKS  ALL FOR YOUR HELP. HAVE A GOOD NIGHT

26 Jan 2013      

medad
Iran

I think school days refers to the days which students go to school during the week.
buying & increasing are both verbs.

26 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

Yes, oumsalsabil, "school days" can refer to either.

Back in my school days, I hated getting up in the morning.

On school days, the speed limit is 20 mph when driving past a school. This doesn �t apply on holidays and weekends.

1.  "Buying" is a gerund - a form of the verb being used as a noun.
2.  "increasing" is a present participle. "Will keep increasing" is the verb of the sentence.

Bruce

26 Jan 2013     

florimago
Spain

I agree with Bruce and let me add something :Like nouns, gerunds can be the subject, object or complement of a sentence:

Smoking costs a lot of money.

I don �t like writing.

But, like a verb, a gerund can also have an object itself. In this case, the whole expression [gerund + object] can be the subject, object or complement of the sentence.

Smoking cigarettes costs a lot of money nowadays.

I don �t like writing long letters.

Hope it helps

Flori

26 Jan 2013     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Ok, thank you so much flori.  what you have said you and Bruce is fine and has clarified things for me except for the last sentence.Bruce is saying that "increasing" is a present participle. "Will keep increasing" is the verb of the sentence. What i don �t understand is :  does "increasing" have the function of  a verb or not, since in this sentence it is a present participle? And in case it is a verb what is the function of " will keep" here? Both Bruce �s reply & yours are welcome. THANK YOU AGAIN

26 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

"Will keep increasing" is very similar to the future continuous (will be increasing). I would say that "will" and "keep" are both auxilliary verbs, and "increasing" is the main verb, in a variation of the future continuous tense. I don �t know that there �s a name for this form.
Any other thoughts on this are welcome by both me and oumsalsabil.

Bruce

26 Jan 2013     

florimago
Spain

In my opinion, "keep increasing" is a verbal periphasis , that is , the combination of two verbs where the first in declined and the second can be an infinitive or a gerund so , Bruce, I think both verbs (keep and increase) are main verbs .Anyway I must recognise my syntax is a little rusty!!!Disapprove

Flori

26 Jan 2013     

yanogator
United States

I �ve never heard of verbal periphasis, Flori, so I �ll take your word for it.

Bruce

26 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Bruce, I think Flori means periphrasis: using separate words to express a grammatical relationship as opposed to using inflection (compare friendliest and the most friendly). 
Remember, we don �t actually have a �future tense � in English - we often use periphrastic constructions like will be going/going to go. 

As far as the contortions over gerund and participle are concerned, we should bear in mind that both - however you want to look at them - are verb-forms with the same inflection which are functionally similar to nouns and adjectives (we also have some -ing forms which function as prepositions - �following our discussion, we decided... � etc). Because of the problems associated with maintaining a distinction between the two, many modern grammarians tend to prefer the merged category of gerund-participle. See here, for example.

27 Jan 2013     

florimago
Spain

Please, chek this link http://www.spanishdict.com/topics/show/109  It�s the best thing I could find about this topic .
Flori

27 Jan 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

Flori, your post reminded me that the Spanish word for both gerund and present participle is the same: gerundio. Saves a lot of trouble, doesn �t it? Smile

27 Jan 2013     

1    2    Next >