Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > No school on Wednesdays?    

No school on Wednesdays?

irissharony
France

No school on Wednesdays?

Hi,

Is there any other country other than France that there �s no school on Wednesdays for the elemntary schools?
Also, could you please tell me about the schools hours in your countries?
Thank you all in advance!

4 Feb 2013      

anuska8
Spain

In Spain the school hours for the elementary ones are:

Monday-Friday (Saturday and Sunday there �s no school)
From 9.00 to 14.00 every day.

Why there �s no school on Wednesdays in France? 

Hugs!

4 Feb 2013     

papadeli
Greece

Monday-Friday
  8.10 to 14.00

No school: December 23rd   to  January 8th (=2 weeks) : Christmas
                  April 29th to May 12th (=2 weeks) : Easter
                  June 15th to September 15 (=3 months): summer

Greetings from Greece,

4 Feb 2013     

irissharony
France

Thanks for your answers.
Elementary schools do not work on Wednesdays, Satudays and Sundays. Wednesdays are off so as not to have the kids get too tired by the end of the week. At least that �s what I was told.
The hours are 8:30 until 11:40 then they go for lunch and begin again from 13:45 until 16:30.
They are now debating on how to change it, so that �s why I am asking.

4 Feb 2013     

anuska8
Spain

Well, I think it �s a good idea to have one day without school �cause it �s true that children get tired on Fridays. Anyway, in Spain people lunch later (at 14.00 is a normal hour for lunch). The cause of Greece is incredible, from 8.10 to 14.00 working!! haha
Hugs. 

4 Feb 2013     

irissharony
France

Well, as I used to work in Israel I can tell you, it is more or less the same as Greece - 8:00 to 13:30, 14:30 depending on the days and the time table. Of course they take a snack at around 10:00-10:30 I imagine they do the same in Greece. I had something similar in Cyprus as well.
Then the question to be asked, what do working parents in Spain, or Greece do with their kids after school? I have to say that at least in France having the kids until 16:30 at school does help a lot (except for Wednesdays as I mentioned earlier).

4 Feb 2013     

perma
Greece

In Greece working parents (only) have the option to let their children at school (primary) until 16.15
During the extra hours at school they study for the next day, have lunch (they bring their own lunch from home) and do some extra activities including sports, ICT, English or arts, according to demand.

4 Feb 2013     

irissharony
France

Do they pay extra for that? What if they work later than 16:15?

4 Feb 2013     

perma
Greece

There are no fees whatsoever for state schools in Greece.
If they work later they have to find someone pick the kid from school.

Btw in the regular timetable (8.15 - 14.10) there is no lunch break, lessons are appr. 45-50min long with 5-10min breaks in between.

4 Feb 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I remember when I was a kid in Holland we had Wednesday afternoons free (not the entire day, just the afternoon) I don �t know if that is still the case.
Here is Israel we work 6 days a week, Sunday till Friday with Saturday as the only day off.
Most days untill 1.30 or 2.15 and on Fridays until 12.30
Also here, until fourth grade, kids can stay in an after school program which includes a warm meal and games, sports, arts etc. until 16.00 (parents have to pay extra for this service of course)

oops, only now I saw that you are familiar with the Israeli hours. Big difference with Greece though is that we have 6 days, not 5!!

4 Feb 2013     

Bella W
United Kingdom

In the UK the school hours are Monday to Friday as follows: For Primary schools (children aged 4 to 11) are 9am to 3.15 pm (children under 7) and 3.30pm (children over 7). For Secondary schools (children aged 11 to 18) either 8.30am to 3pm or 9am to 3.30pm. School terms vary slightly between different counties. In our county (Derbyshire) this years terms for 2012/2013 academic year are as follows: 3 September 2012 to 26 October 2012 (40 days) 5 November 2012 to 21 December 2012 (35 days) 7 January 2013 to 15 February 2013 (30 days) 25 February 2013 to 28 March 2013 (24 days) 15 April 2013 to 24 May 2013 (29 days) 3 June 2013 to 23 July 2013 (37 days) The next school year starts 4 September 2013

4 Feb 2013     

1    2    Next >