Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Perhaps just a dash of colour would suffice...    

Perhaps just a dash of colour would suffice...

colibrita
United Kingdom

Perhaps just a dash of colour would suffice...

Hi, this goes to those of you who love to add loads of coloured backgrounds and pictures to their worksheets. Sure you think that more colour will attract the bees (us teachers) and therefore more downloads, but it �s not always the case. Those of us (am i in such a tiny minority?) who actually have to fork out for our own toner are flabbergasted often at how much colour is unnecessarily added. And often the effect is really garish. I will actually skip the flashy worksheets unless they are really good (content-wise) in which case i have to laboriously make editorial changes and whip out the excess colour.  And sure your students love colour too, but at the end of the day content is what matters. Isn �t it?
Please bear this in mind next time you �re preparing a worksheet. It �s nice to use colour but less is more (and certainly cheaper in these difficult times, and kinder on the environment!) Or at least if you put a photo, consider this, would your worksheet look just as nice with the photo a bit smaller? Bet it would. Another idea is do as some teachers do, include a less frilly version, or simply black and white.  Ok, will put my soapbox away now. Thanks for listening!
Hugs, Colibrita

25 Feb 2013      

mariemulley
United Kingdom

Why are you complaining? just print it in black and white. Most printers have this option choose colour or black and white. I don �t even have the luxury to print in colour we always have black and white sheets.

25 Feb 2013     

Zora
Canada

I know what you mean colibrita. It seems many people think overdoing the pictures and colours will attract / get them more points. And Mariemulley, printing in black and white still costs a lot of money... I always try to keep my usage of colourful images to a minimum because I know printing, in any colour, can be expensive.

One solution colibrita, not all printers have it, but I remember Douglas saying once that you could pick a �no print images � option on some printers. Mine doesn �t have it, but perhaps yours might?

25 Feb 2013     

mjpa
Spain

I understand Colibrita and i agree with her. I never print worksheets in colour, and even that way i have to do the same as you, take out images, frames etc to make them easier to print.

25 Feb 2013     

titine69
France

Colibrita,I understand what you mean as far as the protection of the environment is concerned .But honestly,we can �t do without technology now ,we are using the web,which is not environmental-friendly if you consider that computers are not 100% recyclable.You know we download pictures from the web which are in colour.You say teachers are attracted by colourful worksheets,that �s true, but  as you previously said,we keep the worksheets which are good or which correspond to our search.You can choose to print them in black and white,so what is the problem?Concerning the pupils,we all know that they are more interested in working with attractive tools .It �s  a matter of generation and we have to live with these changes and adapt our work so that they can concentrate on their work and feel happy to do it.
Well,that �s my point of view.
Have a nice day!
Titine

25 Feb 2013     

decembrina
Portugal

I agree with colibrita. Times are hard and even schools are cutting back on the number of copies allowed per student. Therefore, I try to pack each worksheet with the maximum number of exercises possible (for drilling, mostly) and I try to make them in A5 form to save on photocopies.
I understand we all need some unusual and beautiful material when we want a "different kind" of lesson, but we also need some basic drilling material, since textbooks seem to be lacking in that department lately. Hugas&kisses everyone and keep up the good work!

25 Feb 2013     

photogio
Thailand

A lot of classrooms now have projectors and it is nice to be able to display these worksheets in full colour, which is even better if the students have got the black and white copy.  I agree with Titine, we have to change with the times.

25 Feb 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I �m with colibrita, maybe a lot of classrooms have projectors but mine doesn �t. Even if it did, students would still have to have a real paper copy to do the work on, which means that you still have to take out all the unnecessary color before zeroxing it. (I also donb �t see the point to be honest of projecting a worksheet ???) I usually remove all background colors and borders before printing in greyscale......saves on toner, makes a page look cleaner/fresher than a zeroxed version of a color original since all the colors just turn black and grey anyway...

25 Feb 2013     

sarguero
Spain

I think so colibrita... the simple the better. Clap

Some worksheets are so fully coloured that printing them for a 20 plus pupils class is very expensive. So we need more creativity changing the colour issue for a very atractive presentation of the worksheet, adding the possibility of colouring it as one more class work.

25 Feb 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

I have to disagree with you colibrita. We all need more color in our lives. Our children need more color and more clutter in the worksheets. Cost? Who cares. I live in The US of A. Our streets are paved with gold and everyone has an over abudance of everything. The environment? Phst. Statistically I only have at most 25 more years to go. Let my children and grand children clean up the environment. Ed

25 Feb 2013     

yanogator
United States

Ed, if the streets in my neighborhood were at one time paved with gold, I �m sorry to announce that years ago someone came in and pried up all the bricks!

Bruce

25 Feb 2013     

1    2    Next >