Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > English Only?    

English Only?

Jayho
Australia

Steve - This is what you first see when you go to upload a printable

Grey in colour yes, but very clear:

No 1 rule = 100% English
No 2 rule = your own creations (i.e. not copied from an ESL/EFL website)

Maybe, Steve, you need to open your parachute a bit more

12 Sep 2013     

Doot
Canada

Do you think we could use another name other than Nazis on this site?  I think there are better word choices for people who are diligently doing their job.  Thanks!

12 Sep 2013     

Mr. Wilson
Chile

Ok I appreciate everyone�s time in responding to the topic. I am new to the site and will abide by the rules. Perhaps someone knows of a site which posts work that is bilingual. Let me know the Spanish English angle of teaching is my specialty here in Chile. 

Thanks again for eveyrone�s comments and I will open my mind as well as my parachute a bit more.

ps Just a suggestion, but perhaps transitional teaching tools between languages such as cognates could be give a space on the site or at least links to sites which are open to such methodology. 

Be well and TEACH ON!

ps Really sorry about posting private message. First I wasn�t clear on that rule and second I was just trying to support my point.

pps I retract my statement about nazis, I do appreciate everyone�s efforts on the site and it functions very well on the barter system of give a worksheet get a worksheet. My hats off to everyone that contributes to and maintains the site. Perhaps a bit of my rebellious nature reared its ugly head. Sorry about that...

12 Sep 2013     

Mr. Wilson
Chile

I just saw the posts about copyright and have a doubt. 

Linguasorb was the source for most of the worksheet. YET I ALTERED IT CONSIDERABLY. I edited errors and false cognates, added my own, and reworked the structure presenting the different types of Cognates. My question to Elodie and others is if we take something, such as as song and remix it and add to it, what are the criteria for it being infringement on copy right and just being the inspiration of a variation of original.

thanks in advance for clarification and I would never want to put such a wonderful and useful site in jeoprody

12 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �ll bring up another point about 100% English. I have Spanish-speaking students in my class, and Spanish-English worksheets would be very useful for them. I also have French speakers, Arabic speakers, a Serbo-Croatian speaker, and an Albanian speaker. In the past, I have also had Vietnamese, Jarai, Rhade, Karen, Burmese, Farsi, Turkish, Punjabi, Urdu, Chinese (both Mandarin and Wu), Denga, Krio, Somali, Brazilian Portuguese, and Kanuri speakers in former classes. There �s no way that I would be able to find worksheets in all of these languages if bilingual worksheets were allowed here. If I can �t find something useful for all of my students, I can �t take something that �s useful to only a few.

12 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I hate to tell you, but it�s also against Da Rules to use material from other ESL sources, whether it�s from books, CDs, videos, or websites. This is true even if you only use pictures or you do change things somewhat.

As far as using songs is concerned, you may use songs as long as you give credit to the artist and original songwriter(s) and as long as you create original exercises based on the song. If you write your own song in English, you may contribute without exercises.

12 Sep 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

Maybe we could use zealots instead of nazis? Then again, some hardcore Christians or other religious fanatics might claim to be offended. Evil Smile Pig

BTW, I have a small dictionary that can translate into 8000+ languages, the size of a wallet and not even as thick. And no, it�s not electronic, it is a travelling picture dictionary. Just giving this as an example of how to use images in worksheets that can be useful to multilingual classes.

12 Sep 2013     

douglas
United States

LOLPhilip

13 Sep 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

according to the rules, you �re allowed to use texts you found on the internet but if you don �t mention the source it �s like you �re saying "hey this is my own work, give me credit for it" because when we publish anything here we get a copyright saying it �s our property.

to give you a few example of my own work:
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=676574#thetop
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=706659#thetop

obviously the texts are not mine - i �m not creative or talented enough to write that well :( - i simply adapted them (making them shorter, changing a few sentences that  were too hard/useless...) but i mentioned the source, not just for my fellow eslp members but also for my pupils in case they want to read the real article, and the exercises I added to the texts are 100% my own.
I wouldn �t have been allowed to simply publish the text without the exercises, and if I had found this document somewhere on the internet and changed only a couple of exercises I wouldn �t have been able to publish it either without the consent of the 1st author.

imagine you have a website, and you get to publish esl documents/articles... would you like other people to copy them, change a few words, add a few exercises and get the credit for your own work? I don �t think so...

so please, next time you upload any document, read the rules again and make sure you follow them, because we moderators see dozen of worksheets everyday that do not follow the rules and honestly we would really appreciate if members read the rules/checked their documents before uploading anything...

and if your ws gets reported and removed, before re-uploading it again make sure you changed what was wrong, and if you don �t understand why it was removed (although you should get an email telling you why it was removed), you can try to contact a moderator, altought posting on the forum to complain is not really the way to go...

13 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

And hats off to you, Mr Wilson, what a graceful comeback. Clap I did download your ws and gave it to our Spanish department! I am not so much rebellious as opportunistic!

13 Sep 2013     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >