Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > English Only?    

English Only?

lewisronaldc
United States

Sorry but, I agree that they should be English only. Not everyone studying English speaks Spanish as a first language. MY students would be really confused by seeing a 3rd language on their worksheets, since their first language is Chinese. Ron

13 Sep 2013     

esl-teacher
Peru

I also agree with "English only" because we, as English teachers, must be aware that in most of the cases our English classes are the only opportunity our students have to be exposed to the language.

13 Sep 2013     

Mr. Wilson
Chile

Ok, I made a new version with no Spanish and I must make it clear that the source material was words only and not from an ESL site. I don�t think individual words can be copyrighted. If I copy words from a dictionary they are not copyrighted... it is just a list of words...

My question is since there is a source I based the worksheet on is it best to mention it. If so I will edit the submission with that info, Linguasorb. After all it is the first thing that comes up in Google if you search English Spanish Cognates. 

Also beside Chinese and English, Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world, and second most spoken by native speakers. If I have this wrong someone inform me. That being said if my worksheet helps even one teacher and one student I think it deserves to be on the site. An ocean starts with a drop of water...

14 Sep 2013     

yanogator
United States

Steve,
We all agree that bilingual worksheets can be useful. This just isn �t the place for them. There are many sites available for those, and people who need them will find them.

Bruce

19 Sep 2013     

looky
Thailand

The site is called ESL printables not Spanglish printables. there is no grey area as far as I can see. I worked for years in an International school in Spain where we had a mixture of nationalities and I was a homeroom teacher. The sign on the door said English only to be spoken in this classroom. There are a number of Spanish websites to post your worksheets and download from.Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world I believe.

30 Sep 2013     

looky
Thailand

The site is called ESL printables not Spanglish printables. there is no grey area as far as I can see. I worked for years in an International school in Spain where we had a mixture of nationalities and I was a homeroom teacher. The sign on the door said English only to be spoken in this classroom. There are a number of Spanish websites to post your worksheets and download from.Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world I believe. Please check the lists on the internet they vary.

30 Sep 2013     

looky
Thailand

I checked the facts and some tables say Spanish number 3 or even four. Mandarin number one. English around two or three depending on which table you look at.

30 Sep 2013     

< Previous   1    2    3