Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Thank you!?    

Thank you!?

anaisabel001
Spain

I also did the same last night as I had seen the same mesage in the forum lots of times.IHave only been in this wonderful site for two months and I�ve read much more annoying comments .I must also say that whether you believe it or not I was not looking for fame, I was just being grateful.
I agree with missola

31 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

Do I dare express a contrary opinion?

Though I have never been gracious enough to thank people for downloading my worksheets, I have seen a few others do it and I have never been annoyed by it. It seems to me to be folks who are overwhelmed with gratitude and positive feedback. This is a nice thing to see! Goodness knows we have seen much less positive messages in the forum. 

With all due respect, I think it isnt logical to say these posts are like advertising because these people are `advertising`after the worksheets have been downloaded as a recent contribution. Therefore only a few people are going to be curious enough to go and use their points to download this worksheet and if they want it that badly then it must be a pretty good worksheet and deserves the points!

If we see this type of message as an advertisement then every post in the forum is an advertisement! Because people get curious about people in the forum and go have a look at their page and if they like their worksheets they spend some points!

Do you see what I mean?

31 Jan 2009     

eng789
Israel

Well lets just fill up the forum with thank yous and hugs, hearts, cute dancing animals and flowers.  Then when someone has a real "ESL teaching" problem it will get pushed out of the main frame and lost in the shuffle.

By the way, you can leave a message on the message board under your ws (I�ve seen some people do this) or add it to your profile. 

The forum is supposed to be for intellectual discussions regarding teaching ESL (that was my impression). 

Of course, if when helping someone on the forum, you sound "informed" or your flag is of an English speaking country (not always reliable - my mother tongue is Canadian English -but my flag is Israeli)  then of course people will check you out.  Also there are those who have been around for a long time and have a zillion points that you will check-out because you assume they know what they are doing.  But all this isn�t the same as, THANK YOU FOR DOWNLOADING MY WS - I�M GLAD YOU LOVED.  -  The place for messages like that are the  private message.

I love everyones wss.   

31 Jan 2009     

Im Lety
Mexico

Hi...
Eng789...You are absolutely right...But you know what!!!
This will never end...
We have discussed about this thousands  times and what you find every day in the forum is those kind of messages...Most by old members...
In the morning when I sing in I have to go thorugh  many messages of thanks, jokes, good mornings, afternoons, evenings, nights, weekends etc etc etc and whatever people  like to write...And finally I find what is really important...About Teaching

But anyways...........

I love everyones work too...And my respect for those who work hard to contribute with their work...

See ya

31 Jan 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I totally agree with eng789. Maybe there should be a separate �thank you� message board, so if someone needs to thank 70 people at once, they can do it there. 

31 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

It wouldn�t matter if there�s a separate �board� for social threads if they still appear on the front page.

I don�t know about you people (those who have posted before me) but I suspect you will disagree with my opinion. That�s ok, too!

I find it refreshing that there is more than just the teaching related posts in the forum. Sometimes a little courtesy & jocularity goes a long way towards making my day better.

My biggest concern about forum users is that very few people seem to know how to look for things in it. I don�t really do more than glance at the front page when I log in - my first preference is to look at the thread headings that Victor has so thoughtfully provided. These take me directly to the various technical/teaching/request for assistance discussions that are more meaningful in a teaching perspective.

I do the same thing when I want to check on, or contribute to, an ongoing discussion.

The idea that topics are somehow �lost� when they leave the front page is based on ignorance. Anyone who is familiar with discussion boards should know that there are always far more discussions happening than just the first few to appear in a list.

I wish newbies would read the FAQs & search the forums for discussion about the assistance they need BEFORE they post. I would also hope that people would READ the posts in a thread BEFORE they make their post too!

So, in the scheme of things, I get more annoyed by the technical ignorance of the posters when it comes to posting in the forum than I get annoyed about friendly discussion & general �thank yous� (as distinct from advertising). Even elder members of �the gang� should realise they can continue a discussion even when it�s not on the front page!

That�s my opinion, anyway...

31 Jan 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Thank you eng789
Let�s start discussing serious teaching matters on this page.We don�t want one day to open our eyes on things like:
"Thank you for thanking me for thanking you for downloading my ws"

31 Jan 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Alien Boy and Ivona are at the ESL message room. They are in the middle of an argument that started with a simple �thank you�.

ALIEN BOY
: ... It wouldn�t matter if there�s a separate �board� for social threads if they still appear on the front page.
IVONA: The separate board wouldn�t be on the front page. The �thank you� seekers would click on the �Thank you� tab and look for �thank you� notes that would make their day there.
ALIEN BOY:
Well, I find it refreshing that there is more than just the teaching related posts in the forum.
IVONA: I agree that the message board needs a little refreshing, but not with monotonous thank you notes. Same old ding dong all the time. That�s why the other day i started up Joke Time to see what will happen and - BOOM! It showed what people were in need of - FUN! That�s the way to make their day!
ALIEN BOY:
Also, the idea that topics are somehow �lost� when they leave the front page is based on ignorance...
IVONA: I�m not ignorant about that!
ALIEN BOY: Please, let me finish.
IVONA: Sorry.
ALIEN BOY:
Anyone who is familiar with discussion boards should know that there are always far more discussions happening than just the first few to appear in a list.
IVONA: Yes, but that�s time consuming. I wonder if YOU do that. Even when
i go to �recent topics� when the poster i am interested in is squeezed out by other posters, it�s often gone from there, too. Then i wreck my brain to remember what the heading was and ... Ahhh, even this is time consuming.
ALIEN BOY: You�re right. Let�s go for a drink. I�m buying.
IVONA: As long as it�s not beer. I hate it. By the way, do you know that joke about ...

(exeunt)

31 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Yes, Ivona, I�ll be in that.... BUT... it�s your shout first!!!!

By the way, I actually check the topic threads more so than the �recent topics�. If I can remember if it was linguistics, a cry for help, teaching materials, etc... I find it a LOT more efficient. I also try to be a little selective as to when & where I�ll reply to a post.

Though, obviously, not always Wink

Oh, & make mine a double!

Cheers!

31 Jan 2009     

missola
Palestine

let me again say that this "thank you" message is not this much annoying. What is actually annoying is cticizing people and their intentions. If you think it is annoying just don�t read it. Some people get annoyed of these "thank you" messages maybe because they themselves hate to thank others.

It is so strange that some of those who get annoyed by the thank you messages feel ok with themselves when they don�t thank others. Maybe they hate the idea itself and that�s why they get annoyed from such messages.
by the way, criticizing such acts is not at all related to educational and more useful materials. Don�t you think so?

1 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >