Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What would you say?    

What would you say?

RileyR
Israel

What would you say?

Hi Everyone! What would you say: a crew of experts use different techniques or a crew of experts uses different techniques I told my students we use the first sentence but I didn �t know how to explain why�. Any help will be useful.

15 Oct 2013      

SaraMariam
United States

I would actually use the second one, because it is A (one) crew (of experts.)

15 Oct 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I agree with saramariam

15 Oct 2013     

RileyR
Israel

I know.. it makes sense... but one of the teachers in my school is from South Africa and she insisted on the first sentence... I am confused

15 Oct 2013     

RileyR
Israel

and the first sentence sounds better.... also, my american friends would use the first one....

15 Oct 2013     

diana_elena
Romania

With collective nouns such as crew you can use either a singular or a plural verb. You choose a singular verb (a crew experts uses different technique) if you think of the group as a single unit or a plural verb (a crew of expert use different techniques) if you think of the group as a number of individuals.

15 Oct 2013     

RileyR
Israel

Thank you Diana! It �s a nice way to put it out.... I think like American and sometimes can �t explain the things I say

15 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would use the plural �a crew of experts use ... � As Diana says, you can use either singular or plural with collective nouns. I think the plural sounds better here because it isn �t just �a crew � -  it �s followed with �of experts � and so the plural agreement comes more naturally.

By the way, it �s a colourful way to describe a group/team of experts!

15 Oct 2013     

diana_elena
Romania

English grammar can be tricky sometimes ...but I had a very though grammar teacher in college, and that was a good thing especially because my primary profession is translator

15 Oct 2013     

RileyR
Israel

Thank you everyone!!!

15 Oct 2013     

libertybelle
United States

A crew is like an umbrella that is one thing but covers for many - just like a family is composed of many people but the unit of a family is one.

I wouldn �t use the word crew at all in this example.
Crew is usually people working on a boat, a group of backstage people or people who work in groups - often manual labor.

I would use the work a group of experts.
You �d never say a crew of scholars.

Libertybelle

15 Oct 2013     

1    2    Next >