Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Subject Verb Agreement    

Subject Verb Agreement

kavitap
Japan

Subject Verb Agreement

Which of the two sentences is correct and why?

1. Here is your room key and two tickets for breakfast  or
2. Here are your room key and two tickets for breakfast.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

14 May 2014      

elsnert
Russian Federation

The first one is correct because "room key" is  singular.  If you have singular object you use "to be" in singular. If you have plural object you use it in plural form. Good luck!

14 May 2014     

etoilist
Tunisia

The first one is correct because "room key "is singular and because it is implied to say ( Here is your room key and here are two tickets for breakfast)

14 May 2014     

kavitap
Japan

thank you for your answer. What about the �two tickets for breakfast � part? That is where the confusion comes in.

I thought that it was straightforward as what you said but a Teacher of English argued that �Here are your key and two tickets for breakfast � is the correct sentence. This was seen in a textbook. However, when the assistant (native speaker of English) attempted to correct it, that attempt was met with rejection.

Other answers welcomed. Thank you in advance.

14 May 2014     

allanwooding
Trinidad and Tobago

The verb should match the plurality of the first object in the list of objects, regardless of the plurality of the following objects in the list.

For example, "There is one boy, five girls and 2 adults in this room."

Hope that helps K!

14 May 2014     

kavitap
Japan

Thank you so much Allan. That is exactly what I needed. It was asked on behalf of a friend. I gave my linguistic explanation but just wanted other answers. There are so many rules in English and so many exceptions to the rules. This particular teacher is being a tad bit difficult and stressing my friend. 

14 May 2014     

hope223
Turkey

15 May 2014     

hope223
Turkey

The second one is correct because we consider your room key and two tickets subject and since they are plural the verb must be are

so you can say (your room key and two tickets for breakfast are here) to make sure if it is right and that �s how we teach our student in my country when we have here or there!
I hope it help!

15 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Allan has it right.

Bruce

15 May 2014     

essam35
Egypt

what about starting with two tickets would it be Here are 2 tickets or we would consider them all a unit Here is your two tickets and your room key ?

15 May 2014     

paulanavarro
Chile

I learnt once that the object(s) which is nearest to the verb wins, and you have to conjugate your verb according to this.

15 May 2014     

1    2    Next >