Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > DESPAIR! HELP!!!    

DESPAIR! HELP!!!

allakoalla
Latvia

DESPAIR! HELP!!!

Dear teachers!
I am very upset to start this topic on St Valentine � s day!
This is the first time I will take part in the forum for such reason. I always read the messages written by other members but avoided taking part as considered it is better to stay aside.
BUT NOW IT IS DIFFERENT as we are all threatened. Recently a friend of mine had to pay 20 000$ to the printing house for using their material at her classes without their permition to photocopy them. This is what can happehn to YOU too as you do not know that the material you download has been uploaded illegally! I myself and Cheezels have been warning you about it but more than 70 people have downloaded it without paying attention to the comments. PEOPLE! Do you really want to make your own mistakes and pay your own money?! not virtual points?!

14 Feb 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

I have posted the actual link that he has stolen from in the comments section of the printable. And another link in the comments in his most downloaded one.
So this is not just speculation this is FACT.

Come on guys. Lets keep the site free from dishonesty and cheats.

14 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Allakoalla!
I �m not sure I understand. Many people here use either free clip-art or pay for clip-art.
I often use books that are over 20 years old and are out of print, or coloring books that have
no restrictions. If anyone just scanned from a published book, they are asked to remove it from this site.
In which way do you mean that we might get in trouble???
L

14 Feb 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I don �t understand either. What is printing house? ( I googled it, but I could not find it) Is it a clipart site? How would they now, that a teacher in Latvia used their material. Or did your friend publish it. So please, let us now.
Silvia

14 Feb 2009     

allakoalla
Latvia

The person who I am talking about uses several books which rights are reserved and there is clearly written that it is forbidden to use the material without the permition of the publisher. They renew the copyright regularly. Cambridge University Press Raymond Murphy is one of the books he scans! There are aslo  others.
My friend who got into trouble having to pay 20 000$ ignored just the same warning written the same way! It was: " This book is in copyright. Subject to statutory exception and to the provisions of relevant collective licensing agreements, no reproduction of any part may take place without the written permission of ....."

14 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

S.
I think she means a publisher. Publishers and the authors have publishing and copyrights.
If you re-write verbatim from a published book, you can get into serious trouble.
It seems someone here is writing word-for-word from a published book and adding a few images and a border and calling the work his own.

14 Feb 2009     

allakoalla
Latvia

Yes libertybelle it is just the way you understood! Of course until you see the thing happen in real life you think that the world is too big and you will never get caught. We have already reported the "teacher" to Victor and hope he will solve the situation. 

All we need to do is to be very careful reading the comments and we really should avoid downolading the "stolen"  material not because it is not fair or something but because the legal consequences are too serious no matter if you knew that the material is protected or did not know it.

14 Feb 2009     

frenchfrog
France

I think we can get into trouble for EVERYTHING we do here on eslprintables (use of pictures, use of texts, use of songs...). E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!

14 Feb 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Wow!!!! What a mess!!!

We reached this level of cheating!!!

I don �t remember this was the case of our web. What �s happening,for God �s sake????

I �m angry and absolutely Angry!!!!!!!!1
You �re right, Frenchfrog!!! It �s nothing but E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-N-G....................
Nebal

14 Feb 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Whilst I accept the need to adhere to the laws of the land and be prepared to accept consequences for any illegal actions we may be involved in, I really do think that you should put the problem into perspective and not try and scare people into worrying about being fined or arrested for uploading material which may or may not be copyrighted.

I would suspect that the person who was fined such a huge amount was wholesale copying books and reprinting them for resale - probably on a large scale.  This amount of fine is totally disproportionate for uploading a few worksheets on a site.

Several weeks ago a member posted on the site that they intended to copy over 1,000 differnt publications for people to download and I pointed out that this seemed to be opening himself up to legal action by doing this.

Every effort is made by Victor, by virtue of the rules of submission, and this is regularly policed by faithful members of the site who report on members who upload copyright material - if anyone should be worried by this then it is Victor, but I do not think he will be losing much sleep over this as he seems to have taken every reasonable precaution to prevent breaches of copyright.

There is a saying �There is nothing new under the sun � and this I think can apply to many of the worksheets and submissions most of us upload to the site.  Very very few of the submissions are totally 100% original, with illustrations and examples that we have made up ourselves - but I believe that the majority of contributors are abiding with the spirit of the copyright law, rather than the letter of the law.

As our noble frog points out - potentially everything we submit may come under scrutiny, but I do not think we should become paranoid or afraid of the police knocking on our doors because we used a few illustrations.

Please, everyone, continue to contribute without fear and get the creative juices flowing by changing, adapting and originating lots of new material.

14 Feb 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

French frog is partially right!!! (I would not say that everything) I have also talked about this issue:

It �s not only about the risk of paying a fine but also about the underlying risk for the site as well as the moral recognition of the authorship of a person who works hard as we do.

As far as I know you can include up to a limited amount of words from a text and pictures as long as you credit the author and the printing house. If you take it/them from the Internet, quote the http. Then you can do your own activities but always pay attention to the copyright issue in that book or site and try not to get any economic  profit from those wss!!!

PD: I think that you shouldn´t be pity for posting this issue in the middle of some Valentine�s messages. Lighter posts appear on the forum until someone writes a serious one (as you did here) and that´s welcome!!!

14 Feb 2009     

1    2    3    Next >