Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Asking for help - text correction    

Asking for help - text correction

Gi2gi
Georgia

Intellectual disability (ID), also called intellectual development disorder (IDD) or general learning disability (UK and Ireland), and formerly known as mental retardation (MR), is a generalized neurodevelopmental disordercharacterized by significantly impaired intellectual and adaptive functioning. ... 

7 Mar 2015     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Lynne,

and I am grateful for your help. U was just trying to explain that in my country it is commonly used term in literature and among professionals and nobody considers it being offensive. But it is probably a language problem, IMHO. If you understood my language I could send you some professional resources.

Gigi - sorry, but it seems you don �t understand the point of this issue. You are maybe a teacher, but I work with handicapped clients. As I wrote above, it may be a language issue, nothing else. And what more...I know how to use wikipedia. Unfortunatelly, wikipedia is NOT a relevant source for professionals as everybody can write it. But you probably didn �t know. :-D

7 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

:) strangely enough,many other sources (not wikipedia,which you detest,  but academic ones) just state the same, but you , I presume, are a better scholar than the authors of the of the source ... :)))))))

7 Mar 2015     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Oh, dear, this talk with gi2gi is hopeless :-(

But all the sources you are talking about are in English, so they have to use English terms. As I �ve got the Master degree in Psychology and I work with these clients on regular basis, I know pretty well, how to use my native language and proper terms. Unfortunatelly you are not probably able to get it into your brain, that in my language it is perfectly correct term. 

You can read it here, if you manage ;-)

7 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

You are being polite, as ever, MJ Misa, but your manners are not of my concern at all. So, you have started a topic on an ESL site and asked the community members (especially Native English Speakers) if the English in your post was Ok or politically correct. At the same time you are quoting Czech sources to disprove the English of the English speakers  who kindly expressed their opinions as well as the English sources on the Net,. So, how do you call this phenomenon in Psychology? In logicism this would be called an incompatible or an illogical conduct, I daresay... 

7 Mar 2015     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

As you pointed out, I asked NATIVE speakers. So I don �t understand why have you got involved because you �re not one of them. I got some PMs from native speakers, who got the point. So you �re the only one who still hasn �t got it.

BTW, the WHO (World Health Organisation) still uses this classification for mental retardation, as you can see here: http://www.who.int/mental_health/media/en/69.pdf

For me this discussion with you is getting pointless so I am off. 

7 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Michaela, well, it shouldn �t be about being right or wrong on here; it �s about getting the correct information. I don �t want to embarrass you; there is no losing face: we don �t really know each other. Therefore, I am pointing out that the link you include looks to be from 1996 and insofar as I can see, at the bottom of every page, it states that the terms �retarded � and �retardation � are under consideration. They have largely (maybe not everywhere) been re-considered now and thrown out, although I fully accept that that is clearly not the case in the Czech Republic. You asked whether it was PC - I thought you meant in English and in English, it isn �t.
Goodnight,
Lynne 

7 Mar 2015     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Der Lynne,

but the WHO classification from 1996 is still used by professional psychologists,  the politicians have their own vocabulary. 😉

Night, night. 😊

7 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Well, I think it is getting really absurd here, but a last shot ...

---- 
The diagnostic term �mental retardation � is finally being eliminated in the upcoming international classifications of diseases and disorders. The term �mental retardation � was introduced by the American Association on Mental Retardation in 1961 and soon afterwards was adopted by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) in its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSM-5).[1,2] Mental retardation replaced older terms such as feeblemindedness, idiocy, and mental subnormality that had become pejorative. Now, over 5 decades later, the term �mental retardation � is being eliminated for similar reasons.

The APA �s fifth revision of its DSM-5 and the WHO in the 11th edition of the International Classification of Diseases (lCD-11) will revise their terminology. This is consistent with the abandonment of the term by medical and educational professions and advocacy groups over recent years.

SOURCE

7 Mar 2015     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello everyone:

I am a native speaker, but not a medical professional.  I agree with Gi2gi and cunliffe.

Zoe Morosini 

7 Mar 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >