Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Asking for help - text correction    

Asking for help - text correction

Jayho
Australia

As an aside, I am very interested to see that WHO still use the term mental retardation here on their 2015 website when the 1996 document specifically said that the term was under consideration, as pointed out by Lynne.

This WHO 2010 report on Bahrain still uses the term.  But, there is a relevant 2011 paper here where they (WHO) propose the vocabulary change, and many of their reports now do use the term intellectual disability. So, is what I found a mistake or do they still in fact use that term?

Furthermore, here is an American website that uses the term.

It seems to me, that although the term is no longer used by many English speaking countries, WHO maybe continues to use this term as do some professional associations.

Cheers

Jayho

7 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Jayho, thanks for this.You probably know, though, that you can find a justification for anything you want on the internet. I have found articles from bona fide associations calling for all sorts of things. That term is definitely on its way out and for my money, the sooner, the better. I really dislike it. My sister was disabled and the number of times she was called �Retard! Retard! � and another horrible term - spastic. My original answer of course, was not based on emotion, but on reality.
Long live �the PC brigade �; I �m one of them.
Actually, what is the point of this post? No-one has said you would never see this term anywhere.
Lynne

8 Mar 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3