Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Make your own Dobble    

Make your own Dobble

dobrawaa
Poland

Make your own Dobble

Hello everyone,

I would like to recommend a great website:
 http://www.gorfo.com/dobble/#/home/en

It allows you to create and print your own dobble game!

Cheers

Ania

11 Oct 2015      

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Thanks, that looks like an interesting and useful resource.

For anyone as puzzled as I was, this video helps:

Dobble Card Game - How To Play - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZDh93o3yM

It �s kind of like "Snap!" but smarter. If I understood correctly, I think most of the time is spent visually processing the images and then one brief moment recalling and saying the name of the item. So it looks like fun, but I guess you �d only use this very briefly in the classroom? Are there other ways of using the cards that generate more extensive language practice?

Tap

11 Oct 2015     

dobrawaa
Poland

You can practice any kind of constructions eg. First you must find the same item on the card from the pile eg. an apple and then you must say I like / don �t like apples. it �s possible to practice almost anything :)

11 Oct 2015     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks to both of you!

11 Oct 2015     

blunek
Poland

I love playing Dobble and I had no idea that it can be used to teach English! Thanks a lot for this link!!!

In fact Dobble has different variations.
Here are the rules for 5 different games and of course you can play with cards made on this website too!

Have fun!

Dobble

A series of games for 2-8 players

Designed by Denis Blanchot

Illustrated by Igor Polouchine

And published by Play Factory in 2009

Ages 6 and up

Playing time: 5-10 minutes

(Game components: A round tin containing 55 cards, each with 8 symbols, and each of which has one and only one symbol in common with any other card.

Game #1: The Towering Inferno

Deal one card, face down to each player. Place the rest of the deck in the center of the table as a face-up draw pile. Players simultaneously turn over their cards. The first player to find – and call out -- the item his card has in common with the center card claims that card, which is placed atop her face-up card and play immediately continues as a new center card is revealed.

When the draw pile has been exhausted, the player who has claimed the most cards wins.

Game #2: The Well

Remove one card from the deck and set it aside face down. Deal out the deck so that each player has an equal number of cards in a face down draw pile. Now place the original card set aside (or one of the extras) face up in the center of the table. Players turn over the first card on their draw piles simultaneously. The first player to find/name the item on the center card that matches her top card places her card on the center card and turns over the next card in her draw pile. The player who exhausts her draw pile first wins.

Game #3: Hot Potato

Each player holds out a hand and is dealt one card face down. Using the other hand players are simultaneously reveal the hidden card. The first player to find a match between his card and any other player’s card, calls out the match and places the card in the other player’s hand. That player then searches for a match between the new card in her hand and any card remaining in another’s hand, while other players remaining in the game are simultaneously searching for matches as well. Whenever a player finds a match, he places all of the cards in his hand on top of the cards in the hand of the player with whom he has identified the match. The round ends when all of the cards are in the last player’s hand. They are then set in front of that player and a new round is dealt out face down.

Players play a fixed number of rounds (minimum 5, agreed upon in advance) and then the player with the most cards loses.

Game #4: Catch Them All!

One card is placed face up in the center of the table and each player is dealt one card face down. Players simultaneously reveal their cards and then search for the match between the center card and any other revealed card. Whoever finds a match claims the revealed card, placing it face down in front of himself, but leaves the center card in place and, along with the other players, continues searching for matches between it and the remaining cards that were revealed.

When all those cards have been claimed, place the center card at the bottom of the draw pile and deal out another hand. When the draw pile has been exhausted, count the stack of claimed cards in front of each player. The player with the most cards wins.

Game #5: The Poisoned Gift

Deal each player one card, face down. Place the rest of the deck in the center of the table as a face-up draw pile. Players simultaneously reveal their dealt cards and then look for matches between the center card and the card in front of any other player. The first to find and name a match places the center card on top of the other player’s matching card. Play continues with the newly revealed center card.

The game ends when the draw pile has been exhausted. The player with the fewest cards wins.

11 Oct 2015     

MoodyMoody
United States

I have never heard of this game before. I may try to learn it with a professional deck before I try to make my own. Thanks!

Edit: Apparently it is called Spot it in the USA, and there�s a Basic English version. Just ordered both the base game and the BE version from Amazon. Thanks again!

11 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply dobrawaa!

I love the card games "Uno" and "Solo" (almost identical but a bit more fun) - does anyone use them to teach English? Both of them are variants of a non-commercial game called Mau-Mau.

Tap

12 Oct 2015     

dobrawaa
Poland

There are special "uno games" prepared especially to practice language constructions. For example Genki English has got a few such games called "one left":

http://genkienglish.net/theonecardgame.htm

I have made some games on my own, but they aren �t as professional as Genki �s.

Ania

12 Oct 2015     

Tapioca
United Kingdom

Fantastic, thank you so much Ania!

Tap

12 Oct 2015     

pardofelis
Poland

Great website, thank you very much!
However, it is really time-consuming to edit all cards if you decided to make 57 of them... :D 

12 Oct 2015     

EstherLee76
Peru

Thanks so much Ania, et al.  Great discussion!

By the way, there are at least 2 uno games here at ESL Printables.  One is for classroom language and one is for Christmas.  I can �t find them right now but I know they �re there and they are very nice! 

12 Oct 2015     

1    2    Next >