Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > s ´ vs s ´s    

s ´ vs s ´s

cunliffe
United Kingdom

MarietheHouse, yer link was great, man; really canny and it hit the nail reet on the head! The ´answer ´ concurred with mine, by the way: St James ´s.

All the contributors on here are educated, erudite. You know the rules of the apostrophe, but that is not so with the general British public. Young teachers don ´t really know the rules - simple as they are - and so it ´s not taught. It will go before long and its omission will be as acceptable as double negatives in many quarters. 
Does it matter? 

13 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

I liked the vid link too. All in all, a nice post and interesting point raised by Gi2gi. It ´s something that we natives are busy tearing ourselves apart over. I think the next time I ´m in the UK I ´ll be taking some piccies of all the incorrectly used possesive cases in signs and notices that are seen on a daily basis. It doesn ´t bother which form other people use but I ´m firmly in the "s ´s" camp.

13 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, Mariethé´s link is very relevant.

13 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Mariethe, thank you. The video was excellent and entirely relevant.

Here ´s my opinion (which Giorgi will most likely deem irrelevant & valueless). The apostrophe in every context is gradually becoming extinct in casual written English. SMS, emails, quickly scrawled hand written notes, and the like are whst I mean by casual writing. Apostrophes will continue to be used in formal writing because they aid interpretation of the written word.

Which to use ( ´/ ´s) is entirely dependent on how one pronounces the word in question, which seems to be the generally accepted rule according to many writers on English usage.

Getting feedback from 4 or 5 teachers may be interesting but, in statisticsl terms, too small a sample to provide an accurate snapshot of usage. Style manuals are regularly updated these days. They provide relevant examples of usage across many industries and native English cultures. The sites I linked are far more relevant than Giorgi ´s arrogance & bigotry would attest.

Have a wonderful day everyone! AB

13 Feb 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Good to see such involvement, so many responses. Some might consider their posts critical while they are self-revealing. I will not comment on angry posts from angry people, though, no matter how offensive they get. Arrogance, bigory... Some, who hold an old grudge, have been given a chance to fill the topic with such wonderful vocabulary, good practice for those who study words related to negative personality. Do keep it up.

13 Feb 2016     

alien boy
Japan

Anger? Hardly (unless you ´re projecting again)! But,as.you.say, it is possible to develop a ´descent ´ vocabulary even from ´morale ´ lectures!

I ´ll just slither back under my rock now.

Take care, all. :)

13 Feb 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There is indeed a sub text here and it was disappointing to see personal attacks, some more thinly disguised than others; indeed, some are very subtle. There is a history here and I don ´t think for one minute that you alien boy are the one who should be slithering under a rock. 
It is interesting to note that one member made a post, eliciting a response and then deleted his post. This is sneaky, unpleasant behaviour. 

14 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

You made a good point there, AB. This isn´t the place to conduct any sort of meaningful quantitative research (and we didn´t know it was only native speakers the OP wanted until his charmless response to Mariethé´s perfectly justified complaint). If he simply wanted a bit of preference-airing from native speakers rather than a discussion based on informed opinion, he should have been more specific.
And for the OP to effectively exclude half the contributions by summarily dismissing online links, grammar and style guides as tending to become "outdated or even obsolete" was rude, obtuse and breathtakingly hypocritical.

14 Feb 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Haha! I just realised we´re like kids on a long car journey.

14 Feb 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

@ Almaz - No we ´re not. We are all rational and responsible adults.
P.S. Your mum ´s bra smells of poo! 

14 Feb 2016     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >