Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Saturday evening without "on"    

Saturday evening without "on"

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Saturday evening without "on"

Dear all, 
Could you clarify which one is correct, or if both are correct:

1. What are you going to do Saturday evening?
2. What are you going to do on Saturday evening?
                                             Thanks a lot 

12 Mar 2016      

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

According to "English Grammar in Use" by R.Murphy the correct answer is  2. What are you going to do on Saturday evening?

12 Mar 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. Have a good day.

12 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Both are good. Omission of the preposition is more informal � and tends to be more common in American English.

Incidentally, Raymond Murphy does point out in �English Grammar in Use� (3rd edition, Intermediate) that "in spoken English we often leave out on before days" and gives "I don�t go out Monday mornings" as an example.

12 Mar 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a lot. Is it also possible to say "I don �t go out Mondays" in informal English?

12 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Yes, on and in can be omitted before the name of a day whether in singular or plural form. An example that the A–Z of English Grammar & Usage (a descriptive grammar based on the Longman Corpus Network and Corpus of Learner English) gives is: "Tina has to work Saturdays and Sundays".

12 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I note Alex and his links, but I agree with Julia Karaban.  in English English, we use �on � in the examples you give. Leaving the �on � out is American English. I think the example �Mona works Saturdays and Sundays � is different and quite OK. 

12 Mar 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks so much for your clear and quick answers.

12 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

With regard to the "links", Lynne, Raymond Murphy (who Julia and I both cited) is English (from Devon) and presumably speaks "English English", while the authors of the A�Z are all UK-based linguists and teachers. I also mentioned earlier that omission of the preposition tends to be predominantly American, but I�m sure you�d agree that 1) this doesn�t mean it�s in any way incorrect and 2) it doesn�t preclude its use among British English speakers (I�m hearing it more often now � but that hardly constitutes evidence, does it?  ).

To recap, Riham: both forms are acceptable. In the UK at least, it�s a question of formality and frequency.

Alex 

12 Mar 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I don �t think there �s as much disagreement as you think and certainly not enough to warrant another post from you: the one usage is British English and the other, American English. I don �t hear this (going out Monday etc..) at all, although it wouldn �t be a bar to communication and nobody would say it �s �in any way incorrect. � However, it is not at all common usage. I will add that whenever I read a newspaper report and I see the �on � omitted with the day, I know that that is an American article.  

12 Mar 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Sorry, Lynne, I think I know where the heart of the "disagreement" lies. By way of illumination, here�s another recap:  
  1. Riham asked which one was correct or if both were correct. 
  2. Julia said the second one was correct and cited a grammar book. 
  3. I said they were both correct and cited the very same grammar book which supported this (Unit 121 in my edition).
  4. You chimed in with "I agree with Julia" which might suggest that you disagreed with what I had said and that only one was correct.
Now 1, 2 and 3 are pretty straightforward; it�s how things often work here, and all it takes is checking the sources. But it�s 4 I have a problem with: although you didn�t offer any evidence for your statement (no mention, even, of the Murphy book both Julia and I referred to), you followed this by virtually repeating what I�d just said about it being more associated with American English, as if this were new information, and then � bafflingly � more or less saying both were OK anyway. In other words, you agreed with what I had said after all (but presumably couldn�t bring yourself to actually say it  ).

And given that I�d already stated twice that it�s more common in American English than in British English, can I assume you�re talking about the UK only when you say "it is not at all common usage"? Personally, I�m not too sure how uncommon it is here nowadays, bearing in mind the pervasive influence of social media, but I�d love to see what your evidence is for this. Please.

Riham wanted to know if both were correct. The answer is a simple �yes �. Yes? (see 3 above)

12 Mar 2016     

1    2    Next >