Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > weekly teaching obligation around the world    

weekly teaching obligation around the world

ssob
Austria

weekly teaching obligation around the world

hello everybody,

I am Austrian and have to teach 21 lessons a week. we have 9 weeks summer holidays, 2 at x-mas, one each at semester break and easter. our government wants to increase our weekly teaching obligation by 2 lessons.

I �d be interested about the situation in your countries. I am not sure, if this topic can be discussed here.

4 Mar 2009      

Londonthanhhoa
Vietnam

hi there,
We have to do the same here, each lesson here last 45 minutes. How long is that in Australia ?

4 Mar 2009     

ssob
Austria

hi,

thank you for your reply. one lesson lasts 50 minutes.
It �s Austria. That �s on the other side of the globe.

4 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I teach Junior High - 20 lessons a week - 5 lessons per class = 4 classes.  ( 45 minutes each.)

Our school year is from September 1st  till  June 20th

Have great day.
Barbara

4 Mar 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Well, in Belgium, we have to teach 21 hours a week fulltime, that �s without the extra hour to replace absent teachers. So in fact we perform 22 hours. We also have an average of one meeting a week. We have a two-week break at Christmas and Easter and a one-week break at Carnival and All Saints. We teach from 1st September until 30th June. Many teachers don �t work fulltime because of the heavy workload. There are more women than men teaching the children/students. I �m still one of the fools working fulltime but I do enjoy teaching English so muchLOL. I teach 9 classes 1-3 hours a week.

Enjoy your day!

Kristien 

4 Mar 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, from Portugal
I have 24 hours a week, including 4 to replace absent teachers, three to provide extra support to students with special needs, and 3 to work on the internet page of our school, dealing only with English topics; so it means that I have 17 classes a week, for granted.
We have some classes of 45m and some of 90.
Cx and, Easter holidays are about two weeks ( we have meetings during these breaks to evaluate students, usually about 3/4 days ). Three days for Carnival and one for All Saints.
We finish school by the end of June and restart at the beginning of September.
Classes have about 27/28 students each.
Enjoy, hope you have a shiny day; it is raining here.

4 Mar 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Oh, my god and I thought we were unlucky...Wink

Kristien

4 Mar 2009     

lidiab
Portugal

Well, my situation is very similar to Olinda´s. I teach 22 classes of 45 m a week. I have 4 more hours to help students with special needs. and two more hours for meetings. A total of 28 hours a week.

4 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hello

Well I�m from Australia, down at the bottom of the globe.

In government schools and post-secondary colleges full-time ESL teachers generally teach 18-21 hours face-to-face.  F/T staff are paid for approximately 37.5 hours and the remainder of the hours are for preparation, marking, professional development, team meetings etc. Plus, the additional duties you are given to support the other teachers and director of studies, such as maintaining resources, designing assessment tasks, meeting AQTF requirements etc.

In post secondary, if you teach more than 21 hours face to face you are paid the additional hours at an overtime rate and many teachers do this to earn extra money as well as meet the ESL teacher shortage.  There is lots of evening work available.

Holidays for teachers in gov�t instututions are generally: 5 weeks in summer (Dec/Jan) and 1-2 weeks between each term.  If you work at a private language academy you normally get 4 weeks holiday a year however most of those jobs are casual and therefore you don�t get any holidays and you only get paid for the days you work.

Many ESL teachers aspire to a permanent gov�t teaching job where employment conditions and salary are good but these generally require higher level qualifications:  a 4 year bachelor teaching degree with a TESOL majorand/or a recognised post-graduate TESOL qualification which most teachers don�t have - they just have a 3 year bachelor degree and a 4 week CELTA qualification and they usually work casual usually 25 hours a week face-to-face.

Cheers

jayho

4 Mar 2009     

teletubies
France

in France, we have 18 hours in front of children, but we are highly encouraged to do extra hours. (i actually do 21). the classes last 55 minutes. The day usually finishes at 4 /5 o �clock pm. we don �t work on wednesday afternoon, some schools are open on saturday morning. we usually end school on the 4th of July (later for the teachers correcting the baccalaureate) , and go back on the 1st of september. During the year, we have one week for all saints, two for christmas, two in the winter and two in the spring. The meetings are during lunch break and after 5pm.  

4 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

Well, I just thought I �d throw this in to make you all feel a little bit better about what you do... Tongue - I own my own English center and  I work - as in teach - over 40 hours a week - plus the other 4 hours a day I am at the center preparing classes as well as doing other stuff like helping out with paperwork or answering phones!

To boot... I work Saturdays in the morning and Friday night til ten!! So? Is your life really THAT bad?! LOL

And as much as I may complain, I love what I do... so I can �t say I mind working so much at something I adore! Smile

4 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >