Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Feeling so depressed, so demotivated, so useless...    

Feeling so depressed, so demotivated, so useless...

frenchfrog
France

Feeling so depressed, so demotivated, so useless...

Some of my students have been studying / learning English for 7-8 years, so you would assume that their level is quite good � But these students ask me questions like �What does �come� or �get up� mean?� They don�t even know basic vocabulary. They don�t even know how to express what they like. Some of my students write �My like �� instead of �I like�� This is so depressing for me. I really don�t know what to do for these students. And believe me, it is not just a few students, sometimes they represent half of the class... I show them what is correct, I explain and repeat several times, or differently, but they don�t learn, or they forget very quickly� My French colleagues will know what I am talking about� Many French students do not consider learning English as important for their future job� It is such a pity to see their state of mind every day�

What about your students? Are there times / moments when you also feel depressed and demotivated?

Frenchfrog

4 Oct 2008      

gilorit
Israel

DearFrenchfrog :-)
I am with you with all my heart Heart.
When I read your words it was as if I had written it. ...
There will always be those students that will give us this feeling - students who were left behind before and have a huge gap between their level of English and what we assume they should know.
We are not foing to succeed with all of them but we must try and never give up for those who we will "rescue" from their ignorance. (Do you know the story about the starfish???)
Sometimes I get so depressed after a  certain class - but remember - even the most difficult hour has only 60 minutes... (and a lesson is 45 minutes)
On the other habd we have brilliant students that light our days and give us energy.
It is a duty - a mission - to try to teach the slower ones...
Wish you all the best :-)
your friend
Orit

4 Oct 2008     

taka
Poland

I know what you mean. I also try as much as I can persuade my students to learn. They don�t seem to care. The worst thing is that when I explain something to them, like tense, they seem to understand it, they use it correctly but the next day they don�t remember anything. I�m devatated because I�m wondering "Is it me? What i�m doing wrong?" It� s really demotivating. So, a udertand you perfectly. My students often ask me a question "What do they need English for?"
Unfortunately, there is no remedy for that. We are only teachers no miracle-workers.
If anyone knows how to motivate students, please shear your secret.

Taka   

4 Oct 2008     

H.AL-Shamsi
United Arab Emirates

i feel the same sometime when i teach some students something when i come to check their understand they make the same mistakes again-_-

last year i took the group i teach right now when i started when with them some of them don�t know the letters of the english but i took them on the morning before the classes started this year i feel little of my effort come out this year my students improve

i hate them when they say teacher we don�t know english speak arabic *-*

4 Oct 2008     

helenemonge
France

Dear Frenchfrog... I�m a French teacher as well, and I DO understand what you�re talking about!!!! It may happen that you feel depressed or demotivated. But, you�ll never be useless! Wink

We shall not surrender!

H�l�ne

4 Oct 2008     

agusjavier
Argentina

Don`t worry Frenchfrog. It happens in every where!!! Here in Argentina, at least inthe schools I work or have students from... they have english from the first grade and when they are in high school they don�t know the simple present. The thing is that students nowadays don�t wnat to study and this situation makes us feel that we aren�t good enough.
A thing that I do sometimes is to keep on my class and don�t explain anything again, so in order to follow me or pass the subject they study...

4 Oct 2008     

Victoria-Ladybug
Israel

Dear Fenchfrog!
Each of us has sometimes the same feeling of disappointment.... I understand what are you feeling now!
Weak students come in all sizes and shapes,in all countries and cities...
Sometimes children have learning disabilities or behavior problems and some just hate the subject because of negative learning experiences. I also struggle teaching  pupils who don�t prepare homework  and don�t show minimal wish to improve this situation and their horrible grades.....It�s so disappointing.
I also ask myself  the same question...
How to motivate such students to learn?  Teaching weaker students is not an easy job
I agree with Orit,that  we do have  hardworking and serious pupils and they make our day!
 In our profession we need a lot of  enthusiasm, initiative, positivity and lots of encouragement......    You are  not alone,dearest Frenchfrog...

4 Oct 2008     

Mietz
Germany

It�s the same here in Germany for me at times. At times it is rather tiring to explain to people (who are given a whole course for free...) ten times or more, why it is great and useful to learn English. I found, that putting the measure really low with these groups still makes the work rewarding - not with everybody, but with quite a few students.
Don�t give up. Your worksheets here show how great a teacher you are! Clap

4 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Frenchfrog!

In first place: THANK YOU for  the wonderful work you share with us!   Thumbs Up
You are an artist. Quite creative. Great! Star Star Star

Now...reading you makes me feel better.
I have been teaching English for a long time now  and I have been  having the same feeling .
You work hard, even harder than before trying to reinforce what they still do not know -but should- and get nothing.
I can see they understand and work well when we see something new but when we come back to it, they are in blank.

This situation has been worrying me for over two years as i can see it is getting worse.

I have found out the main reason is they spend more time in front of the machines -call them play station, computer games, chat, internet with blogs and golds and all that!.
I find their interests have changed and they keep thinking on getting home to sit at the pc.

Besides, their lack of interest does not only affect English but school subjects in general.

The root of the problem is in the family as there is no control neither limits...and we are the ones responsible to make them learn against their own interest!

I would need to take up a course on magic!

Anyone having suggestions, some bright idea that may make a difference, pleeeease?  Question

cheers Smile

4 Oct 2008     

afrodita08
Spain

Dear FrenchFrog:

It happens the same here in Spain. I go to my secondary school everyday trying to make the best of my students after hours of preparing my lessons at home and I have to face children who sit down and stand at me with a face of not knowing what I am talking about.  I really try to do everything I consider will motivate them but they don�t answer at all at my "prompts". I even tried to lower the level, to make them consider everyday situations about which they can speak a lot, but they don�t even try. The problem of all this situation is that it is really demotivating for me (and I suppose that for all of us) but I always have in mind that I have to try it as hard as possible, because perhaps in a not so far future, they will look back and think about me and about what I tried to teach them....and they will regret not even trying because they will have to pay for something that want it or not is a real need.

However, where there is a dark whole there will always be a light and this year I have seen this light. I has been given a group of students who really want to learn and to study English. They try to speak in English and try to do their best everyday. They make worthwile projects instead of a "cut and paste" from the Internet.  It is a great pleasure having them three hours a week and being able to share my knowledge with them instead of disciplining them.

5 Oct 2008     

Profevelise
Brazil

yeah, friend, i know what you mean...

Brazilians who study English at school, as a regular subject, don�t find it very useful... the ones who look for courses are more interested, but many teenagers are only studying english because their parentes want them to. but we can�t give up!!!!! give them some time, someday they�ll notice they really need english for life... i hope they notice it in time! ;)

5 Oct 2008     

1    2    3    Next >