Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > passive from    

passive from

mimib21
Madagascar

passive from

Hello everyone!

I really need your help, please! I would like to ask you if the following sentence can be put into passive form or is it already a passive one? What is the active form of it? 

"The photos will be ready for collections on Tuesday."

Can you explain please? 
Thanks in advance for your answer. 

23 Mar 2022      

yanogator
United States

I�m sorry to disagree with Lisa-Jane, but the sentence is active, and there is no passive form for it because the main verb of the sentence is "to be", which can�t be passive. The passive voice is used when the subject of the sentence receives the action of the verb, but "to be" is not an action, so there is no action for the subject to receive.

We know that this sentence is not passive, because the passive form is "will be" + past participle, and in this sentence, "will be" is followed by the adjective "ready", not a past participle. 

Bruce 

23 Mar 2022     

mfraczek
France

Hello,
I agree with Bruce. You can�t put your sentence into the passive voice because the verb is Be. 
You need an object complement and you haven�t got one in your sentence.
Murielle 

23 Mar 2022     

Mar0919
Mexico

"The photos will be ready for collections on Tuesday."

Actually I think it already is in passive. I was teaching this exact topic to a business student and I was investigating a lot about passive voice structures. 
The active would be something like this, although I might be wrong, I have to go over my notes, and right now, I am about to start my class. Will check back later!

THEY WILL HAVE THE PHOTOS READY FOR COLLECTION ON TUESDAY.  

23 Mar 2022     

mimib21
Madagascar

Thank you so much to all of you for your answers. You are very helpful.

23 Mar 2022     

yanogator
United States

@Mar0919
Passive is formed by a form of be, plus the past participle of a verb. "Ready" is an adjective, not a verb, so the sentence isn�t passive. The concept is similar, but it is definitely active voice. (Ready can be a verb, but this isn�t the past participle of it).

Bruce 

23 Mar 2022     

Crespus2006
United States

Hi everyone, 

I think it is active. Since ready is not a verb here, it can�t be passive!  

23 Mar 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The photos will be ready to be collected on Tuesday.

24 Mar 2022     

douglas
United States

Perhaps the confusion is in the phrase at the end of sentence appearing passive (collected by me), but the photos are subject here.

24 Mar 2022     

Peter86
Poland

To me, it is definitely not the PV. There is just no main verb in the past participle.
Cunliffe�s suggestion seems to be right, however, the sentence sounds not so natural ;)
I would suggest using impersonal construction such as:
It is said the photos will be ready to collect on Tuesday
or
The photos are to be collected on Tuesday. (slightly different meaning, though)

Good day to you all ;) 

24 Mar 2022     

GAZA_CHILD
Palestine

Hi
as most of my friends here,I don�t see that the sentence is in the passive.
it is similar to the the following sentence :  The students will be absent for the exam next Monday..

24 Mar 2022     

1    2    Next >