Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > DON ´T MISS THIS THREAD! WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?    

DON ´T MISS THIS THREAD! WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?

svetamarik Svetlana
Russian Federation

DON ´T MISS THIS THREAD! WHAT DOES YOUR NAME MEAN?

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS THREAD! Do you know what your name means? What is its origin?

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=7694

I started htis topic some hours ago and I �d like to continue it. Thank you for all your amazing �posts! It is very interesting to find out something new about each other,isn �t it?

So let �s keep on discusssing....Big smile

PS We all need some relaxation and positive emotions!

2 May 2009      

Aimee/S.
Israel

Hi Manuela. Indeed names like "Emmanuel" "Manuel" "Manuela" come from the Hebrew "God is with us"
This topic is so interesting! I love it! Thanks again, Svetlana!
As a French-speaker, I knew the meanings of the Latin-originated names such as Cecilia, but it �s fascinating for me to learn the meanings of the Turkish and Estonian names! Wonderful!
To "Nikita" - I �ve heard the name Romina before. There is an Argentinian actress with this name - do you know her? - my 14 years old daughter used to watch a lovely series for children "Chiquititas" (it was hugely popular here in Israel) a few years ago and the main actress was Romina if I remember correctly.

Dear Svetlana, should I thank you again or yell at you because you keep me on the site, making my addiction even worse than it is and preventing me for watching the news, cleaning the kitchen or getting ready for tomorrow (our sunday is your monday.... deep sigh... Enjoy yours!)
Love and "paka"

Aimee

2 May 2009     

yayamaj
Turkey

Hi friends!

My name is Tuba.The origin of Tuba comes from Arabic.Here are some explanations about my name below and these are taken from the reliable books about Islam:

(Tuba is for he who saw me and believed in me. Tuba, and another Tuba, and another Tuba for he who believed in me, but did not see me.) A man asked, "What is Tuba � � The Prophet said,

(A tree in Paradise whose width is a hundred years, and the clothes of the people of Paradise are taken from its bark.)  the Messenger of Allah said,

(There is a tree in Paradise, if a rider travels in its shade for one hundred years, he would not be able to cross it.)

Regards.Have a nice weekend!

2 May 2009     

mariamit
Greece

I agree with Aimee. I am supposed to be working and I find myself checking the site and reading this thread every so often.  Helen, your name is not plain. I �m sure you are aware that  it comes from the Greek Eleni, which means bright one or according to some scholars sun torch. Eleni was the face that launched a thousand ships.

2 May 2009     

lolelozano
Argentina

hi teachers ! how are you doing today?

I�m glad we can go own with this topic. I�m learning a lot about names this afternoon.

Thank you very much Svetlanan !

Guadalupe, or (pronounced [ˌɣwa�̪aˈlupe]) was originally a Spanish toponym that derives from the Arabic word for "valley" or "river" (wadi) and the Latin word lupus, meaning wolf. The name referred to the Guadalupe River in Spain.

The name may refer to

Religious images

Our Lady of Guadalupe, in Mexico City

Santa Mar�a de Guadalupe, in Extremadura, Spain - I hope you will find my name as inteteresting as I found the rest.

Hope to read more about names.

have a nice day !

My name according to the site missveronica posted  

GUADALUPE

Usage: Spanish

Pronounced: gwah-dhah-LOO-pe  

From a Spanish title of the virgin mary Nuestra Se�ora de Guadalupe, meaning "Our Lady of Guadalupe". Guadalupe is a Spanish place name, the site of a famous convent, which means "river of the wolf" in Arabic. In the 16th century Our Lady of Guadalupe supposedly appeared in a vision to a native Mexican man, and she is now regarded as a patron saint of the Americas.

thank you sooo much, I didn�t know the site!

2 May 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

Hey there!
Im new around, I had to look up the meaning of my name, but here it is

VERONICA

Latin form of BERENICE, the spelling influenced by the ecclesiastical Latin phrase vera icon meaning "true image". This was the name of a legendary saint who wiped Jesus �s face with a towel and then found his image imprinted upon it. Due to popular stories about her, the name was occasionally used in the Christian world in the Middle Ages. It was borne by the 17th-century Italian saint and mystic Veronica Giuliani. As an English name, it was not common until the 19th century, when it was imported from France and Scotland.

I also leave a link you might find useful

Hugz, Vero

2 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I too, am supossed to be working at home.  Today is dedicated to gardening, taking out the patio  furniture and bbq, but I just coundn �t resist checking in.  My name  � �Nancy � �, which is Hebrew-derived, means "full of grace".   I try to be graceful, but it doesn �t always work.LOL

2 May 2009     

totya ( F )
Palestine

Hi everyone,

very nice topic.

My name is Tugreed ( Arabic word which means the sound of birds )

2 May 2009     

Dalya
Kuwait

hi .. nice topic teachers :)

My name is Dalya .. It was Driven from Dalal which is an arabic name
Dalal means the noun of spoil

cute hah ? Tongue

2 May 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

I �m called Kristien which is in fact the Dutch writing for Christine. It means follower of Christ.

I also went to Veronica �s site and looked up the meaning of my name.

From Christiana, the Latin feminine form of CHRISTIAN. This was the name of an early, possibly legendary, saint who was tormented by her pagan father. It was also borne by a 17th-century Swedish queen and patron the arts who gave up her crown in order to become a Roman Catholic.

I �m not going to discuss whether my name suits me. I �ll become too philosophicalWink.

Enjoy your evening!

2 May 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

I �m called Ana Isabel, but everybody calls me Ana which is of Hebrew origin. It means Grace,Favor.
My number is 11 whose characteristics are high spiritual, idealist, a dreamer..
My  soul number is 3 which means I like enjoying life to its fullest.In a positive sense the 3 energy is friendly, outgoing and very social.On the negative I may at times become too easygoing and too optimistic
In Spain Ana is a popular name.There were some famous women called Ann:Ann Frank, Ann Boleyn...

Lovely topic Svetlana!!!

ClapHug
Hug

2 May 2009     

1    2    Next >