Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > violence at schools    

violence at schools

khaled69
Jordan

violence at schools

first good morning to all members here
second id like to start an important issue here
you all know that the school year is almost fifnshed i think in the all schools arround the world.so all teachers finished or have alittle bit from curriculm to finish
we are suffering here from violence especially at the end from each year ,i dont mean that teachers hit students but the true is the contrary
we havent problems with the earlt stages but we have it with the 9th and above
so ithink most schools need apolice centre to be there in case of fighting
so id like  to ask you is that happend there in ur countries ?
so what do you think the reason is in your opinion?
regards
khaled69

19 May 2009      

Mariethe House
France

I am sending my post from last night as an answer to isabelucha �s thread: sunshine and to sextem �s answer about the situation in her school
How good it is to see someone mention ,write about real issues! Thank you Sylvie!
Yes, our French system is going down to the drain!

So much effort that had been made and is falling down to bits! Just seen an article in the paper: they �re thinking of setting up a special police to interfere in schools to calm down the angry mob!! They don �t want to know why the angry mob is crying shouting, burning things down! They jusut want to ignore that people are suffering of all the cruel things of our times: unemployment, lack of money , lost parents in front of their angry teenagers!! And their answer is: more kids in classes ( 30 will soon be the average per class for 11to 15 year olds and 35/ 40 in the higher grades!)
So your comment , Sylvie is very much up to the point!
So, i think, instead of spending our time quarelling about stolen ws, i think, we should , as mature adults ( or supposed to be, ) we should try to think and exchange ideas about how to handle things, how to help kids, because this is the main issue, after all or, IS IT NOT?

what do I do in my school? Because there are drop outs too! I have  suggested we have some sort of tutorial system to indivvidualize the system, to make those kids feeling left out  have the feeling that they are important, let them talk about their frustrationetc..;
Concretly speaking, I , with 2 other teachers, we spend aquarter of an hour every week , to talk individually and listen to each kid. Each teacher sees 4 kids a week in the free time, so that means 12 kids being taken into acoont and it helps them simmer down and consider their future in a positive way, rather than destructive!
I am sur YOU all have suggestions . Let �s share!
Thank you Sylvie and I suggest you take a subscription to "les cahiers p�dagogiques" You should find some help there!

19 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Here in the southern part of Serbia things are not that bad. The students are still controllable.
but i don �t know for how long this �half-blissful � state is going to last having in mind the transition that the country is going through, the growing corruption that is penetrating all the spheres of life and the rush for a �happier and richer � life, which in the end proves to be the very opposite.

The children are the ones who are suffering the most. There is no one to look after them. In the past everyone took part in the upbringing of children, not just the parents, and things were so easier and nicer. Now, there �s only school left and it can �t manage it on its own, especially when half of the school stuff have become indifferent to what is going on, having the �overall conditions � as their excuse not to lift a finger and make a change.

As i said in my profile, i �m an idealist and i want to make a change regardless of how huge the obstacles i have to overcome. I do not want to give up that easily. If they make me stoop, i will stand up again, and again, and again ... If more people had that attitude, things WOULD change.

We have a student in our school who was transferred from a nearby town (i work in a small village) and the moment he got here, he turned the school upside down. He would disrupt classes, fight, argue with the teachers, etc. He got on my nerves and there was constant friction between the two of us. Until one day. It happened that we shouted at each other so much and it turned out that he thought i hated him (which was true) and that it was the reason why he was behaving the way he was. Then, it turned out that the mother had left him (to start a new family), the father had left him (already has a new family) and he was crying for attention. The "tough guy" broke down and started to cry....
To cut the long story shorter, i began working with him, staying after classes to talk and tell him things. I told him about my personal life, how i myself grew up without a father (never seen him, never had the wish to), YET did not let resentment and anger fill my heart...
What i did was channel Stevan �s anger into sth creative by giving him a role of the Grasshopper (ironically, because he was lazy) and he marvelled at the performance. HE got the best critique. He craved attention and he really outdid himself only to tell me afterwards it had been worth it...

I have to go to class now. I will send a link later on where you can see the boy performing ...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hcgii4bnqgq/The Ant and the Grasshopper.mp4
hope you can open MP4 files ...

19 May 2009     

freddie
Canada

Bless you Ivona again and again!

It is strong and noble hearts like yours that effect all positive change in our world. Thank you for the inspiring story!

19 May 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Indeed! I was really touched Ivona! Thanks for sharing your story with us and for being such a positive and determined person.

Hugs,
mena

19 May 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

btw, there �s a great thread here that libertybelle started once:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4806

19 May 2009