Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Only To My Dear Moderators...    

Only To My Dear Moderators...

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Only To My Dear Moderators...

I have a clear question and I need a clear answer please:

Is it permissible, according to the website �s rules, to copy another person �s layout and then use it in my worksheet? If I do that would my ws be removed?

So dear moderators, I need a clear answer with proofs that this is against or not against the rules and not just your views on this point. This is something important since it may cause someone �s ws to be removed or to be kept. Your CLEAR answers would, therefore, be stored and used for or against anyone who copies someone else �s layout, so please be clear and precise!

Thank you for your help

AbdelhadiSmile

25 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

This was a debate today on the reported printables page. Personally, I think it �s not against the rules but you should ask the person for permission to copy their layout. These members work really hard at creating their own personal styles so the least we can do is ask permission.

I sometimes see people recommending new members to have a look at the most downloaded printables to get inspiration so we should not be surprised when that happens.

25 May 2009     

paula_esl
Portugal

Hi manonski,

It happened to me today and no one asked for my permission. And the person who did that is not a new member in the site, so why have I been a source of inspiration to her?

25 May 2009     

sazzag
United Kingdom

I �m afraid there really isn �t a CLEAR answer to your question.  There is a debate of this type going on on the moderators page right now.  And people are arguing both sides.

Technically it is permissible under the current website rules to do exactly that but it is a very emotive issue and you are likely to upset the person who you have copied the layout from if you haven �t asked permission to do so. 

And I think with good reason.  It takes a lot of time to develop a nice style and one that can be recognised and identified as "yours".  If someone comes along and copies it isn �t it natural to be upset?  The line between "inspired by" and "copied from" is a very delicate one.  Especially if someone is creating a series of worksheets and someone else starts doing the same thing.

This is a subject which certainly needs more clarification.  I think respect and common sense comes into it.  You only have to think how the other person  will feel to know that copying is going to cause problems and one should think if really it is the right thing to do. 

25 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi Paula
I know what printable you �re referring too. I don �t think it �s ok to copy a person �s style unless you have their permission. We can �t vote to remove a printable because it resembles someone else �s style.  We do have the choice to not download the printable and leave comments.

Did try contacting the person who did that to you?

25 May 2009     

paula_esl
Portugal

I don �t think you or anyone else would like to see a worksheet resembling your style Smile, am I wrong? So why can �t we remove a printable for that reason? It only opens the door for more and more people start copying each other �s layout and style, don �t you think?

Of course I contacted the person. She claims the layout isn �t the same and people will judge it.Smile In fact there was at least one person that thought that worksheet was mine.

And another thing I can �t understand is why sometimes those layout copied worksheets are removed and others aren �t. I �d appreciate someone explained that to me.

25 May 2009     

Rosario Pacheco
Portugal

Hi EVerybody!
This is what I wrote to Paula when I saw her comment on the worksheet: "Hi Paula!
Sad  to read the message you left but ok. Sorry that you think I  copied your layout but as you can see it is not the same. The only thing you can say that I copied from you, I would say inspired by you, is the layout of the pictures which I really like. Maybe I should have spoken to you first, I really don`t know. I``m not in a competition! I�m too old for that!I just want to share things with the community. In fact I don`t want to copy other people`s layout, style,ideas,etc. Sorry that you think that way!
Have a nice day!
regards Rosario"

I never imagined that the worksheet would  create such a confusion! Probably the best thing is to delete it not that I feel guilty because I did the worksheet myself. I just don`t like this confusion going on
Thanks
Have a nice day.
Rosario

25 May 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

I often see many worksheets that resemble each other but sometimes it is just because all of us use the same programmes and common sense. For example, when we create a wordsearch, the usual thing is to insert pictures in columns to the sides of the wordsearch, or when we want to pack lot of info on a page, we use clip art, dialog boxes and shapes. We are only allowed to upload word documents. It would be different if we could create activities with MALTED or other programmes.

25 May 2009     

Rosario Pacheco
Portugal

Hi EVerybody!
This is what I wrote to Paula when I saw her comment on the worksheet: "Hi Paula!
Sad  to read the message you left but ok. Sorry that you think I  copied your layout but as you can see it is not the same. The only thing you can say that I copied from you, I would say inspired by you, is the layout of the pictures which I really like. Maybe I should have spoken to you first, I really don`t know. I``m not in a competition! I�m too old for that!I just want to share things with the community. In fact I don`t want to copy other people`s layout, style,ideas,etc. Sorry that you think that way!
Have a nice day!
regards Rosario"

I never imagined that the worksheet would  create such a confusion! Probably the best thing is to delete it not that I feel guilty because I did the worksheet myself. I just don`t like this confusion going on
Thanks
Have a nice day.
Rosario

25 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Paula,
I understand how you feel but I have to tell you I �ve never voted for the removal of a printable because the style had been copied or resembled someone else �s so I can �t tell you why it �s done.  I vote for removal if the printable has been stolen.
Besides, I rarely vote these days because this is getting so confusing. 

25 May 2009     

andreaewa
Uruguay

Are there "OWNERS" of layouts? so perhaps we should start writing backwards to be original!

25 May 2009     

1    2    3    Next >