Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar question    

Grammar question

juraflei
Argentina

"It �s a long time since I last saw you."

"It �s three years since I last went to the theatre "

in both cases the "it" is acting as the anticipatory of the real subject....the real sentence is "three days is since...." a long times is since..."

2 Jun 2009     

ssrl10
Spain

That�s what I said: cataphoric reference. There s no need of context to see it. Have a look at Quirk and Greenbaum�s grammar or Halliday�s . It is perfectly explained.

2 Jun 2009     

lunilu3
Argentina

I absolutely agree with juraflei. Considering the tenses, I would definetely use present perfect in this type of structure. There �s a chapter in Quirk about anticipatory it, I tried to find the book to give you the page but unfortunately I lent it to a student.

2 Jun 2009     

juliamontenegro
Brazil

Thanks to you guys at least now I know where to look for it and the name of the topic to look for.

I really didn �t know how to even start looking for that subject!!!

I �d never heard of that in college! Cataphoric reference, SUPER!!!

Big smile

3 Jun 2009     

[email protected]
United States

It is so British, to me..."It is a long time since I last say you."  It is being brought out ahead of of to what is refering.  Switch around the sentence "Since I last saw you; it is a long time."  It means that the pronoun was "switched" to go ahead of the antecedent.  Hence it being cataphoric v anaphoric in which the pronoun refers back to the antecedent.

Cataphoric:  It �s in there, the little cat.

Anaphoric:  The little cat, it �s in there.

If you said that here in the US people would think you were speaking a strange dialect.  We say, "It �s been a long time since I last you."  Nothing is implied.

3 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

The context I was really looking for was in regard to the questions in the exercise. For example, did they give alternative answers as a multiple choice. If they did, what were the other options? Why were they incorrect when the statements quoted are correct for spoken British English but certainly aren �t written according to Standard British English prescribed grammar.... so in that regard context is actually very useful!

6 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2