Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > precious space    

precious space

alien boy
Japan

Dear Abdelhadi,

Alas, I didn�t have time to go through your whole post & write a thorough & complete response to every point raised... I have teaching duties, preparation & reports to write for 300 students across 2 subjects... so when I get the opportunity I will respond with suitable depth & eloquence, I can assure you. It may be a lengthy wait... you should expect the complete & unabridged version in July or maybe August of this year. Until then, please don�t think I haven�t read, considered or internalised your thoughts because I will definitely examine your arguments prior to completing my own �thesis �.

My own response was a very quickly worded response prompted by issues that came immediately to mind.

Oh, by the way.. has anyone here actually read �The Prince �?

Kind regards,
Alien Boy Smile

4 Jun 2009     

peiolei
Spain

I think you are right, Missfrancisca (Paqui), getting 30 points is quite easy. some people stop uploading things when they get those points because they can download 30 contributions everyday, and that is not fair.
Paola

4 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Manon

This website is great but it has many problems, some of which are just illogical to exist. If we want to improve this website and make it work for the benefit of English teaching and teachers then we should cooperate and follow accurate and logical methods and solutions rather than stick to our way of thinking and likes just because they are our way of thinking and likes and they make us feel better inside.

The case I presented in my previous thread is specific since I myself admitted that contributing in this website shouldn �t be limited to uploading wss only and I also said that there are many members with 0 points or more who could be active on the forum, which means that they are cooperating with the others for the benefit of the teachers and the website alike, but there are many others who are total passive and maybe active just in downloading the members � wss, which is a clear sign of opportunism; and there is a large number of users with 0 points (or more) who created their accounts here once and stopped coming here forever. Certainly those people are taking space in the website, creating a problem at the technical level.  So how would you deal with this problem if you don �t implement a relevant rule?

I introduced the case and made my suggestion which is to set a minimum number of uploads to 1, 2 or 3 wss let �s say a YEAR Or even a minimum number of forum contributions (as agreed) so as to know who is "active" and who is just a dead body in this website (I mainly refer to the last category of ppl). And I don �t think that setting a minimum number of uploads or forum contributions is an act of forcing the users to move since the number is very low and anyone cis able to do it no matter how busy or sick he/she is. In fact, that �s not forcing, rather it �s testing/checking. We need to get rid of the abandoned accounts and the opportunists too. We need that space which is occupied by the empty passive accounts and also we need people who would give and take as much as they can. Just show that you can also give be it a ws, a piece of advice, an idea, a word or whatever may be useful to the teachers here. 

After making my suggestion, I asked everybody for their views and I told those who would disagree about the idea to help us with a better suggestion to overcome that problem or at least to be logical and accurate in their answers since it �s impossible that everybody agrees with whatever you say. I was, however, astonished to receive some comments void of any accuracy or logical thinking. If you read their comments you would realize that some disagreed just for the sake of disagreement (and they are known of that), while others just said no without trying to give sound arguments and support their views with better suggestions if they have any. To my mind, Only children may say �no � without even trying to convince you; otherwise there should be a psychological problem related to selfishness!

By saying all that I don �t mean to hurt anybody bcz I �m not here to quarrel with anyone and bcz there is no benefit at all from doing so even if some users, as may be seen on the thread, have the habit of being rude in their comments and I wonder how come they are teachers!! Manon is however an exception. She is a nice, polite member and this is clear in most of her comments on the website. I �m saying this in public bcz she deserves to be respected.

So plz I hope that nobody is hurt. I just would like to cooperate in the improvement of this website and that �s why I �m making such a suggestion which would need to be voted by the majority of people here, then either we take it if we see that it is useful or we forget about it and wait for someone else to make a better suggestion. This is if we want to make this website a better place, rather than stick to our own views only because that makes us feel better!

Thank you

Abdelhadi

4 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Sending such lengthy argumentative responses is such a contradiction, especially when they come from a person who advocates saving space ... Hmmm ... Ermm

4 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

bigbang

You are more than welcome and you have the right to agree with Serene or whomever; however, explaining a specific point may make things a little clearer for you. I would agree with all what you have said if the 0 accounts cause no problem. We don �t carry them on our backs anyway. Unfortunately:

1- This big numbers of empty accounts causes a technical problem to the website.

2- Ab ig number of 0 accounts users have abandoned their accounts forever.

3- Some users with more than 0 accounts are active only on the downloading level while they are corpses when it comes to uploading or giving help of any kind on the forum.

4- This great website is supposed to be a give and take website and that �s what we mean by sharing if i �m not mistaken.

As you may see dear bigbang, we don �t segregate people here nor prevent them from using the benefits of the website on any grounds and anyone who is doing that is totally wrong, but you know, sometimes you need to issue some rules for the benefit of the majority, especially when you have clear and sound reasons for that.

Thank you 

4 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Still, I wonder, and maybe Victor could enlighten us on this:
What takes more space? Useless accounts or sheets that have only one point because they have been uploaded for the sake of getting to 30 points?

It is my belief that if forced to upload a certain amount per year, people will upload sheets just to fill in a mandate to this site. I rarely upload now but I �m not inactive. I share my own ways and sometimes on personal levels outside of this site. Hundreds of members are like me here.

4 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

alien boy

Are you referring to Nicolo Machiavelli �s "The Prince"?

Ivona

Your comment has made me feel so much disappointed. I can assure you that you are the type of users I don �t like on this website. If you had a logical way of thinking, you wouldn �t have said that silly comment. If you don �t have the ability to read my comment, you can just ignore it and there is no need to say silly things which show what kind of teachers you are.

P.S. The space I referred to is used by abandoned accounts, which means that they are just there and there is no meaning for them to be so. However, the space I may occupy with my "lengthy argumentative responses" as you called them are meant to convey a meaningful message through clear and simplified arguments. So here we have two opposite things: sth meaningless (empty accounts) Vs. sth meaningful (lengthy argumentative responses).

If you regard this clear difference as a contradiction, then I �m sorry to say that you need to go back to school.

4 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Abdelhadi, i love you too! Hug
Btw, logical thinking sucks. Try IMAGINATIVE thinking. You �ll reach much great heights!

4 Jun 2009     

gunner10
United Kingdom

i dont understand why people with only 2 ws uploaded can spend a lot of time here in the forum, and always arquing with other members

4 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Manon

Your I don �t think that "forcing" (it �s not really forcing but testing) people to upload a certain amount per year, people will upload sheets just to fill in a mandate to this site as you mentioned because we have moderators in the website and I don �t think that they will leave a sheet which was clearly uploaded for the sake of filling a mandate to the site. All we need is accurate moderators and I will assure you that you won �t have any problem with that cuz we certainly have great moderators here, people like you Manon, mena and many others, but others are just proved to be useless and the cause of many problems.

It is clear to anyone that my suggestion of issuing a relevant rule doesn �t include people like you Manon since we all know how active you are on the forum. It doesn �t matter if you don �t upload as many as the others since  �contribution � isn �t limited to wss uploading. I would certainly vote against the removal of your account if (let �s assume) you had a 0 points account and the rule was put into effect. We need people like you on the website whether you upload wss or not.

Have a good day

AbdelhadiSmile

4 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >