Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Anger issues and arguments seem to have continued and grow…    

Anger issues and arguments seem to have continued and grow…

roneydirt
United States

Anger issues and arguments seem to have continued and grow…

Now we must remember we are a community of many cultures and views.  What one person may think is being kind another may view as being hostile.  But no matter where there are some things that do remain the same in the subconscious portion of the mind whether we know it or not.  “!” usually means excitement or yelling, if there is a disagreement it comes out as yelling especially if you have more than one.  Certain colors will come off as yelling even if you don’t mean too and just want to add some color to your text like the color red.  Red is a color of violence and anger; or can be a color of excitement or warning.  Typing in all capital letters is usually a yelling statement, once again if there is a disagreement going on not only is it yelling but saying I am more important than you.

I know my issues when it comes to talking to adults I don’t like wasting words and I am a long-winded right down to the point person.  So my words can be taken as argumentative or depressive depending on what I am talking about even when I don’t mean to.  I am trying to improve that and definitely a whole lot better than I was 20 years ago.

I would add more but students are walking in the door, but here are two sites on online etiquette.  I was trying to find a couple others to talk about the colors and symbols that can be easily mistaken like the ones mention above.

Chat room etiquette

http://www.essortment.com/all/chatroomsetiqu_rixx.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2196144_use-chat-etiquette-online.html

19 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

HEAR HEAR!!!  Some people don ´t know HOW to chat or post.  I OFTEN SEE THIS ON A POST!!!! lol  Caps are for EMPHASIS!!!!! 
Btw, isn ´t this a contradiction? I am a long-winded right down to the point person.
HAHA  How can you be long-winded and right down to the point?  Again, I tip my hat to you ,sir.Clap

19 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hmmm, interesting. In my first appearances on the forum, I did not use colours or exclamation marks or capital letters, but smileys Smile to show my playfulness, my jocular mood and YET was accused of being "sarcastic" and "caustic" only "trying to cover it up" with those little yellow faces ... Luckily, people have gotten to know me better and i ´m happy for it. I don ´t have to weigh my words (too much) before posting, but can speak my mind ... Kisses and ice cream to all of you! Hug (now, i ´m being slightly mean here, re ice cream and dieting Big smile)

19 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Ha ha Ivona.  Yes when I saw some of your first posts I immediately thought "Ohh...brilliant... what a cheeky little imp we have got here!" LOL . I was so delighted because I recognised my own type of humour in your quirky posts but I thought that nobody would understand and that you would get crucified Wink. Then I noticed that gradually most of the colleagues began to realise what you were doing and got "hooked". That gave me to courage to "let rip" then hahaha! I just love the forum now. It ´s so nice to be able to laugh with eachother as well as to be serious in sharing ideas.  It is especially wonderful when we can laugh at ourselves too (which I notice that you do a lot Ivona)Big smile. Thank you for all the fun that you bring to the forum. Don ´t you dare change please!!!! 

CarolineHug to all.

19 Jun 2009     

sanchan
Spain

posting nowadays is getting kinda scary. ^^ I ´ve tried posting two things but I ended up deleting them because I didn´t know how to do it or if I was about to offend someone in the forum or something like that! I´m used to posting in a lot of forums but I find it difficult here now.

are there any specific rules apart from the normal ones or something? I mean, like the use of colors, capitals, exclamation marks, smilies, etc?Official ones that we must follow, you know. :) I know it ´s my fault for not knowing it, but if there are, I´d like to follow them so as to get along with everybody here.

anyway... Smile Thanks again.

cheers.

19 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Dear Sanchan.  Just be yourself here.  If you wear your heart on your sleeve and just want to say something in your own unique way then just say it. People will get to know you and they will understand that you would never mean to be rude or nasty. Don ´t worry...just enjoy the friendship of those who want to hear you and want to listen to you and to share their opinions with you. As is in any other forum you will find some who may not agree with you at times. But that is ok. There is a wonderful mix of different cultures here and sometimes difficulties can arise in interpretations. But in time, things almost always level out and we can be at ease here. I just love it. So do not be scared of posting. Just enjoy the wonderful friendship that you will find here.
CarolineHug

19 Jun 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Yes Sanchan, Caroline is right. I think there are no special rules for posting here... At least I read everything about the site and saw no rules about that... Anyway, I also think we should just be ourselves, natural, no maks added, as much as possible. I use a lot of smileys, because I REALLY smile a lotSmile. But, that ´s me. I ´ve already made some friends here and I ´ve tried to be myself, all the time. I think that when we are not natural or lie about something, people will soon find out, even in a chat room.SmileHugJust BE HAPPY!

19 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

The problem is that some members take a lot of comments, that are contrary to theirs, to be an ´attack ´ on them, on their personality, on their ego (i don ´t mean in a negative way) and feel an immediate compulsion to defend it. And even though neither of the members initially meant harm, they tune in to the same negative and insulting wave length in the end ... and  they live ´happily ´ ever after. Wink

Just a thought ... if only we could have an insight into some of the pm´s between the rival parties .. OUCH! Pinch

When my ss get into an argument between/among each other, i insist that they turn a deaf ear to the insult (whatever it is, even if it is about their mother) and deal with it with a "bah!" instead of an insult back. I tell them that in that way they will drive the insult-er even madder because he/she did not achieve the goal of making them lose the cool. Now they joke about it and i heard a few weeks ago a girl (who ´s in my class) reply to a boy ´s insult that she was fat (now imagine that! calling her ´piggy ´) with "I love you, too." LOL It made everyone crack. Even the boy who tried to tease the girl.
I say, laughter and giggle and tickle can save the world... AND eslprintables! Cool

19 Jun 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

Ivona, you couldn ´t have said better!Thumbs Up Taking my hat off:)))))
Yes, people do have different opinions on nearly everything, and anyway, isn ´t the forum a special place to exchange them? But on the net it ´s so easy to break any rules... When I post something or write a comment, I try to imagine how my words would sound if I said them aloud in a real conversation. And one more thing: one can get insulted only if he/she lets him/herself to be insultedWink

19 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Like the comments just wish the ones that seem to be in the arguments most of the time I come on here read your comments.  That is why I posted this, sort of a way of opening the eyes of a few people.  It is one thing to have a disagreement and another to keep it going with several posts.  I also wanted to add a couple psychological items that some seemed to have miss when they are offering advice or disagreeing with someone.  Kind of a way that we can know when we want to offer advice and we don ´t really know how the person will react a more peaceful way of doing it. 

I know as stated I can be a little hard to understand and my form of sense of humor/sarcastic comedy nature does not type out well but still try to use it.  It is interesting that my students pick up on it even the low level English ones, but when it comes to adults it is either the old school "military type" or individuals from certain neighborhoods usually low income or artistic ones. 

Yes Ivona some even when we try to be as nice as possible view critics as enemy and take it personal.  What did old saying go, "Opinions are like brains everyone has one..."  Well actually it is another word than brains but didn ´t want to use it.

Sanchan just try to be as natural as possible.  No matter how hard we try we do have a tendency to offend someone even in the nicest method so be natural and don ´t worry the best speakers in the world have offended people but that hasn ´t stopped them from speaking their mind.

See if you catch the joke in the dialogue, student caught it and they had to explain it to the co-teachers.

A) Hey, __________ do you have a family day?

B) What spend time with my family?

A) Yes, with your mother, father and everybody in your family.

B) Yes, we do and we chat about everything.

A) We do too, ours is on Sunday.

B) My dad works on Sunday, so we do it after school on Friday

19 Jun 2009     

jocruz
Portugal

Someone emailed this to me yesterday, and I thought I ´d share it here:

When Insults Had Class

These glorious insults are from an era when cleverness with words
  was still valued, before a great portion of the English language
  got boiled down to 4-letter words, not to mention waving middle
  fingers.

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor: She said, "If you were
  my husband I ´d give you poison," And he said, "If you were my wife,
  I ´d drink it."

A member of Parliament to Disraeli: "Sir, you will either die on
  the gallows or of some unspeakable disease." "That depends, Sir,"
  said Disraeli, "on whether I embrace your policies Or your mistress."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
  - Winston Churchill

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about." - Winston
  Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries With
  great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send A reader to
  the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come From big
  words?" - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I ´ll waste no time
  reading it." - Moses Hadas

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea Of any man I
  know." - Abraham Lincoln

"I didn ´t attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter Saying I
  approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -
  Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new Play;
  bring a friend.... If you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to
  Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... If there
  is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it ´s almost like having You
  here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness In
  others." - Samuel Johnson

"There ´s nothing wrong with you that reincarnation Won ´t cure."
  Jack E. Leonard

"He has the attention span of a lightning bolt." - Robert Redford

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always Yielded
  easily." - Charles, Count Talleyrand

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without Any address
  on it?" - Mark Twain

"His mother should have thrown him away and kept The stork." - Mae
  West

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, Whenever they go."
  - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For
  support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh ´s ear for music." - Billy Wilder

"I ´ve had a perfectly wonderful evening but this Wasn ´t it." -
  Groucho Marx

19 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >