Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > By 2050 ...    

By 2050 ...

Brentboy
Japan

They have also built a robot teacher here in japan... also many schools are using Nintendo DS in classrooms to teach english.... Im all for it... However id like to see a robot discipline a crazy 7 year old hell bent on ruining the class....

Maybe the next development will be a chip implantent inside the students that will give them a slight electronic shock everytime the misbehave.....

Updated version of Darwins theory of evolution:

25 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

(6h later) I �m up and about and in my school waiting for the teachers � meeting (or maybe i could call it a �council �) to begin in an hour �s time.
Firstly, i �d like to say that all of the above was act (e.g. me plucking out the creative buds, etc.) in case someone thinks that i �m demented and should be treated in an asylum. Wink I am, actually, one of the loudest advocates for creativity and imagination. ( Schools kill creativity by Sir Ken Robinson)
Secondly, i was serious when i asked the Qn. It did occur to me once or twice that things would change so much that we would no longer be needed considering the fact that our ss are getting used to self-studying more and more. While my imagination was strolling casually, i did not see robots who have replaced flesh-and-blood-lively-cheerful-dedicated-teachers, but more of a(?) studying from home, emailing hw to someone or even something (e.g. computer) ... that kind of stuff.

25 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

oh, dear ivona, you really have a talent for stirring things up - people/teachers like you will and should never become extinctWink... as manonski said - we �ll probably just have evolved, maybe grow a new organ or sth, but we can never truly disappear...(just kidding, or not)

25 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Your whole premise supposes there will be a 2050.  What of we don �t make it that far? A lot of people are talking about 22/12/2012 (winter solstice)being a significant event in time.  There are numerous prophecies that tell of the end of the world. In that age there will be no need for education so we will ALL be out of a job. lol  Also, I think a computer can be programmed to zap or incapacitate an unruly student very easily.  Have you ever seen Robocop? :)  NP!!!

25 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Ah Spagman ...don �t take this too far LOL. �I know that Ivona was purposely stirring things up to get a debate going on the issue in a serious way. �When I first saw her post I got a little depressed thinking that all the young teachers here would see themselves as being surplus to requirements by the year 2050. But after looking at her following posts I can see (I think Smile) what she is at . I can never see the day when robots will take over from us. �Yes...methods will change but hopefully...hopefully .....hopefully we as teachers will never allow the "Powers that Be" �to bring in a form of teaching that will quench the gift of creativity in our students. �It is so essential to have the human touch to stir our students forward �towards creativity. They have PC games that (for the most part) do nothing to stir their �imaginations. And instead of being refreshed and elated afterwards all we see are red and bleary-eyed children. �It is all there in a ready-made package...they were passive. So can we as teachers make a difference. I believe we can. We can get the students involved . We can help them to be creative and active...keep their minds and bodies healthy.

Gotta run now..see you all tonight. Hope to see the different opinions here�Hug

25 Jun 2009     

Brentboy
Japan

just thought i would butt in with two points. First I think everyone will just roll with the changes of the future.... Look at this site!! can you even imagine such an extensive resource available ten years ago? i think our jobs will get a lot more interesting and we will probably have to use a lot more technology in the classroom in the future

Sorry, now I just thoght I would stir up a wee debate about the end of the world....

Every generation has its "end of days scenario"Evil Smile..... The cold war felt like it the end of days as im sure the first and second world war did..... If anyone in the world ACTUALLY believed in this  2012 nonsense, there would be chaos!!!! If I actually believed it I would quit my job and spend my remaining days eating cheese doritos on my sofa......

But the Mayans and Nostrodamus predicted it!!!
But the Mayans and Nostrodamus predicted it!!! Everyone says....

Yes well no one believes other mayan traditions like commiting human sacrifices to the sun god for human sacrifices....

Wow that was a bit of a rant... sorry guys....

Good one Ivona!!!!!!!Thumbs Up

25 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

RONEYDIRT: Most countries use eduction as a political tool for the elections and seems to be a common agreement amongst all parties ... At the same time there are these individuals who have either only taught for a couple years or none at all pulling in all these new theories. 
IVONA: Usually it happens (here) that the minister of education is a person who couldn �t be a minister of anything else, so in the end accepted something, which is better than nothing.
RONEY: Teachers who actually speak out for the students are called radicals while most keep quiet. 
IVONA: Yep, and the quiet ones and the ruling ones join to try to silence the radical before becoming too radical.
RONEY: Misconception about teaching that it is only a part time job when most work from early morning in till late at night. 
IVONA: Most?? Not where eye come from. Most run home as soon as the classes have finished.
SPAGMAN: May eye say something?
IVONA: Sure.
SPAGMAN:
Your whole premise supposes there will be a 2050.  What if we don �t make it that far?
IVONA: But we �re just hypothesising, "what if?"
SPAGMAN: NP!!!
IVONA: What does that mean?
CAROLINE: Wait, you �re diverting the debate in the wrong direction now. Get serious.
IVONA: Lol, you want to get serious? Tongue
CAROLINE: Cheeky brat, i �m warning you. Anyway ... (C. repeats what she said above)
IVONA: Well, you seem to have tuned in to my wave length in the end ... (sec, must grab a bite to eat ... brb)

25 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

I do agree one thing most teachers do try to quiet down the radicals but history has shown that the radicals are the ones that have made the most benefit changes in education.  Radicals argued that the world was round even when it meant the death sentence, that girls should be educated, poor should be educated, equal education for all, computers in schools, technology in schools, TEFL, disable allowed education..... and more.   I also find it interesting when you do studies of the individuals awarded teaching awards many are from the radical movements.

Yes there are teachers who run home right at the end of the shift, but how many are going to reeducation classes or doing their work at home???  Those that don �t do work are either nearing retirement or don �t last long in education.  (my opinion)

Now not certain Ivona you will see my add on.

25 Jun 2009     

Zarade
United States

Beam me up Scottie! �Why is my alien ship running so late? LOL

Well, in 50 years if I �m lucky to be around, I �ll be at the end of my life anyways...it seems so far away, but the way time �s gone by so very fast and faster, it really is around the corner. �Scary! �Still, just take it one day at the time...

If the system tries to replace teachers with robots and long-distance learning, they �ll be greatly disappointed. �De-humanize instruction will put learning in a frozen state...that �s just my humble opinion
Nuke

25 Jun 2009     

ajaaron
Thailand

Hey, I can see the classroom bring computer run and the teacher actually being a computer controller/programmer. Students will probably be one on one at a console so discipline is not an issue ;)

Of course, the very poor (the other 90%) may still require some inept human to actually have to give them some kind of information, and the world will feel so sorry for these poor backward kids.

Oh. the computer controller/programmer will be earning 10 times more than the human teacher :)

30 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2