Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "Teen Angels" by Tanya Byron (and how to deal with them)    

"Teen Angels" by Tanya Byron (and how to deal with them)

Ivona
Serbia

"Teen Angels" by Tanya Byron (and how to deal with them)

A couple of years ago, there was a programme on BBC prime, "Little Angels", on how to deal with 3-5-year-olds and their tantrums, how to overcome common child behavioural problems, etc, and i recorded 4 episodes thinking it could help me with �tough � kids in a private school i used to teach in. And it did.

Then, another series started called "Teen Angels" where they outline positive routes to overcome issues and transform your relationship with a teenager (unfortunately, i got only 4 episodes recorded).
The episodes are basically done like this:
- a family with a problematic child (teen) is being filmed throughout a month �s period (or so), as if in a Big Bro show.
- the footages are sent to the two pshychologists who are working on the series to analyse them.
- the pshychologists come to the family (with the crew) and play representative and pinpointing clips to the family, which are supposed to open the parents � and the children �s eyes to the issues that have to be tackled and solved.
- the parents follow the guidelines given by the psycologists as to how to deal with those problems in a different, more positive way and things do begin to change. of course, it does not happen over night, though it may seem that way because it �s all squeezed within a 60 min episode.
- at the end of each episode (which is about 3 months or so later) things are much calmer in the family who are finally understanding of each other.

Now, being thrilled with the series, i did a translation of one of the episodes and showed it to the school psychologist who was thrilled herself. I thought, �Why don �t we present it to the parents and the school stuff? Why not create a workshop and make these adults see things more clearly? � She thought it was a great idea. We prepared a Qnaire that would introduce the people to the subject and that would make them think first about their relationship with their own children/students and then (maybe) draw an analogy by watching the video. It was a huge success and we had a loooong discussion afterwards, especially with the parents. I heard from the SS afterwards that their parents bothered them with Qs, lol, that they wanted to spend more time with them, etc. They said, "Teacher, what have you done to our parents?!?" I was glad that we got through to them. At least for a while. What the parents said was that we should have such meetings a lot more often.

Now, to finally come to the point. I have uploaded one of the episodes (not the one i did with my colleagues, but i will put that one up too). I shrunk it as much as i could. It might take a while for you to download it but it �s worth while. You can translate it into your own language and do a workshop in your school as well, even if there are no problematic children in your classes. It �s always nice to get together with the parents and the students ...
Ok, i �ll stop here and now. If you have any Qs about the series or the ws that we did, i will be more than glad to answer them.

Hug from Ivy Idealistaly

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=cf34d43787b36952e7c82ed4b8f0c380bbcdd1f4f1c2948b5621d66e282a0ee8

EDIT: To those who have downloaded the file, it seems that i didn�t upload N2, so i�ll do it right away and you can take that one too in a little while.

26 Jun 2009      

mjpa
Spain

We have the Spanish version of these two programmes "Supernanny" and "Hermano Mayor". And some others as well. And I agree with you this time. They are really good and I think everybody (teachers, parents,....) can learn a lot from them.

26 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thanks a lot Smile- good advice is always useful to those (of us) who want to hear it(we had the same type of show Superdadilja in Croatia, and some parents commented it gave them great ideas, insights and concrete adviceThumbs Up, whereas some said it was complete rubbish from people who have no idea what real family life is and that it was all staged - I don �t have to describe you their kids � behaviourConfused)... I �m so glad you got a great response from the parents and kids, because I know how much energy and passion one puts in such projects, and how much it matters to have people �s reactions and effect...Clap
Anita

26 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Thanks Ivona for sharing that with us. I too have seen some of those Teen Angel and Little Angel videos. Someone went to the trouble of recording them on disk and kindly posted them to me. I am so happy that you took it a step further and had some parents viewing them with you. It was nice to hear that you got a positive reaction. Thanks again for all the wonderful advice and help that you have given to me and to others here. You might be a "BRAT" but you are a lovely one�WinkLOL

26 Jun 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Thanks Ivona...

26 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Well, Anita, i had some people almost say it was rubbish, but in the sense that their children were already angels and that there was no need for them to see it, that we shouldn �t have called them. To that i provided them with some clips i took from the last school trip and raised a few eye brows. It was nothing �big � but still they were surprised at how freely their children behaved in an environment without parental home restrictions.

It is interesting to note that in all the episodes the parents thought that the root of the problems lay in their children and their being ... �wicked �. But on watching the clips provided by the psychologists, you would see (in every episode) the parents crying because they saw themselves from a different perspective and they realised that they were no better than their children. In all the Teen episodes, the relationship between the parents and the children was broken and had to be restored.

It is really important that we see each other from a different angle. All those parents in the series can be said to have been good parents in the sense that they really tried to make their children behave and to restore peace in the house, but they were obviously doing it the wrong way. The same can be said of us teachers, too. I think of myself as a very good dedicated teacher, and I believe you are the same, too. But we do need feedback in order to make things even better. That �s why i carried out that poll on the last day of school ( From the students � point of view ... ) and learned about the things i should work on  from next Sep ...

And yes, Anita, you �re right. You cannot make those who do not want to see see, but it �s (always) worth a try. Thumbs Up

26 Jun 2009     

anaisabel001
Spain

Thanks for sharing ,Ivona.!!!Hug

26 Jun 2009     

meuge
Argentina

Thank you Ivona!

As always you are yourself a fantastic source of inspiration for me and I believe for many other teachers in this site!!!

Thank you so much again!! Hug

26 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I must say i �m pleasantly surprised at how many people took the trouble and time to download the clips. It either means you �re just intrigued or you have similar problems in your own schools. I would like to hear contradictory opinions, if any, too.

26 Jun 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Awww! Is this thread finished!? �Just when I was really enjoying it. Our esteemed "brat" must have retired to bed. Maybe her legs are aching from running in and out of here to feed us on her "gems". She might stir things up tomorrow for us again. Sorry Ivona but Im in a bratty mood myself tonight hehehehe�Wink

26 Jun 2009