Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To bloggers    

To bloggers

zailda
Brazil

To bloggers

We �ve had some problems with pictures posted in Picasa and no one knows for sure about copyright laws concerning to that website.

Picasa and Blogger are Google resources and if you have a weblog at Blogger, all the pictures you post there will be stored at Picasa. If you are not sure about the copyright laws on the pictures you post in your weblog it �s wise to go to your Picasa Album (which you already have since you posted your first pic at Blogger), go to "settings" and make them private.

All the pictures posted at Picasa are total responsability of the Album �s owner, as they agred when  uploading the first picture in Picasa or Blogger.

As far as I know all the pictures  considered to be an infringiment of copyright laws at Picasa will be removed soon.

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009      

Tint
South Africa

Zailda, the copyright issue is much deeper than just where your pictures are hosted, whether at Picassa, Blogger, or Google. We, as teachers who use the images, need to start by assuming that the image is owned and copyrighted. Only download and use that which is labelled as free for use.

I occasionally use images that are not �free �. Those images, I will use in a worksheet and only use for my students. They are never distributed by me on another site, such as ESLprintables.

No one here would like their printables distributed on other sites without permission, so why use graphics that are created by users on other sites.... without permission?  Naturally, if we ask first, then we can use the images.

8 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

You �re right, Tint, I just wanted to warn the bloggers, since many teachers have blogs for their students and Blogger is the main free weblog plataform. Today we have a ws reported and someone raised this issue at the reporting page and I don �t know if all the bloggers know where their pictures are stored.

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Hi!..Thank you for the info!!  I really didn �t know that having a gmail account automatically makes you have an album. I �ve just used my gmail account and found that I could log in to an album in picassa which I didn �t know existed and  the pictures I �ve uploaded in my blog are in an album in picassa. Wacko

8 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

I understand that, Zailda and I think it �s good you �re warning people. I tend to get carried away on the subject of copyrights, as it is an important subject for me. There are so many ws I don �t download because they are obviously largely scanned from a book, for example. Unfortunately, I can �t say which book, so they can �t be reported.

8 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Tint:

Victor said that if a ws is clearly scanned or copied from the net, we don �t need the source. We have common sense, don �t we? So we use them and report/remove the copied wss. I don �t believe that we all aren �t able to recognize a scanned ws, or if it �s a copy from the net. And sometimes we have it on our computer and used it many times, so we have the right to give our opinion. If I �m sure that a ws is copied I report it or vote for its removal.

Every time someone refrains voting for the removal of a ws that has the unfamous cells someone provides the link for the original. 100% of the times. So if someone makes the cells in his/her own document, s/he should kindly inform it in the ws description, or it would be removed as a copy. BTW, why do we need a button to click in a ws? Is it really necessary?

8 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

Last week we had some ws with a button to be clicked and in the directions: "click the correct answer". I didn �t need the link, but looked for it and found - of course.

If I already have a ws in my computer or if I had used it I don �t need the link. If I have already seem the ws in a site I don �t need the link. If I know the book (and I have many as the majority here) I don �t need the link or the books page.

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

Victor himself said the we are free to use our common sense if a ws is clearly a copy but we do not have the link. 
It �s true that we can make cells using word, Silvie, but - why would anyone is his/her right mind choose to make a printable using cells? Besides, some reported wss also have a blue click button.  I always try to be as fair as possible and I vote for removal if a ws is an obvious copy, even without the source.

8 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear zailda!

Giving the link of the copied WS and the name of the book and page is not for you.
It is for those who are going to take a decision with/after you about a reported WS.
If you know the site or have the book or the origin of a WS it does not mean that all the other know it or have it.
When you say that you saw it on a web site or a book people aren �t forced to take it for granted.
We are here to respect each other of course but not to take what any say or does for granted.
Giving those evidences is a marks of respect. When we leave room to doubt, we open a window to misunderstanding and this can only lead to loss of respect.

Regards

8 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Hm... the example I was thinking of is a series of worksheets where most of the page is clearly scanned from an ESL or similar book. It is an obvious scan with added text. The thing is, ESL teachers were downloading those worksheets by the hundred. Who doesn �t want ws with lovely images? I just felt that was a little unfair.... to get heaps of points for work that is obviously not yours. Unfortunately, I don �t know which book it is from, but having worked with a large variety of ESL books, I recognise the format.

Zailda, thanks for explaining. I was under the impression that we needed to be able to show which book it was from to be able to report a copy.

8 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Goodnesses:

I said "I didn �t need the link". I don �t think someone will vote for or against a ws removal because of my vote, do you? I �m sure everyone here votes with his/her own conscience, don �t they? I �m sure all moderators vote according to their beliefs and opinions and not guided by mine. I said "I didn �t need the link to vote". And I �m responsible only for my vote. How the others vote is a personal question that I won �t like to be involved in, because, as I said, it �s personal.

Cheers

Zailda

8 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >