Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!! URGENT TRANSLATION NEEDED!!!!!!!!!    

HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!! URGENT TRANSLATION NEEDED!!!!!!!!!

angmiranda
Mexico

Hi Mar!

Why don �t you use PREFECT?

Look what Macmillan Dictionary say about it:

prefect

noun

in some schools in the U.K., an older student who controls the activities of younger students and helps them to obey the rules

Or  might be you �ll prefer MONITOR:

monitor

noun

someone who checks to see that something is done fairly or correctly.

monitor

noun

a school student who helps a teacher with a particular job.

Best regards,

Angie

8 Oct 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Andreia, I don �t think "inspector" would work here in this case. I think I �d go for superintendent... until now, it �s the closest translation to what I need. Thank you!

8 Oct 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Angie, thank you for your help!.... Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! such a hard decision!!!!  ha ha ha!!! PREFECT = 1 point, SUPERINTENDENT = 1 point. Now all I need to decide is WHICH to use!!! Confused

8 Oct 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Dear Angie, thank you for your help!.... Ahhhhhhhhh!!!! such a hard decision!!!!  ha ha ha!!! PREFECT = 1 point, SUPERINTENDENT = 1 point. Now all I need to decide is WHICH to use!!! Confused

8 Oct 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

Hi people.... I would say the equivalent is "dean".

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Inspector would be okay. An �Inspector � is also a police rank. There used to be a senior public servant called �Inspector General � - the last time I heard that as a title in Australia it was related to the postal service, & that was many, many years ago (the position was renamed probably around the time I was born in the 1960 �s) so I feel it is very old fashioned.

Most English & Australians I know would relate �inspector � as being a police officer because that is (I feel) the most common relationship of that word to a government official.

A �prefect � or a �monitor � would be a member of the student body (as the word is generally applied in relation to education in England & Australia) so it would not seem correct for an official in education in either country. That �s just my experience, though.

Cheers
AB

p.s. If we were in ancient Rome then �Prefect� would be perfectly appropriate, because they were senior officials!

8 Oct 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

TO ALL: Thank you so much for your feed-back on this issue, you �re such a great bunch!!!
Gaby, thanks for your suggestion, I had also thought of "Dean" but not quite comfortable with it... but I �m still considering it, though. Thanks again, ESL GANG!!! Hug

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Gaby - a dean  is usually a senior executive in a specific School or Educational Institute, or again, that �s my experience of the word as it is used. Universities usually have Deans in charge of specific faculties & administrative areas. I haven �t heard it used in governmental positions as they relate to education.

8 Oct 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Charmed One!!! I �ve got a few minutes more to keep "chewing on it", like we say in Spanish!!!

Mextesol: Yep! I �ve already got my eye on Cancun!!!!

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

With regard to the dictionary definition... it doesn �t necessarily show the common usage of the word.

for example...

1. A high administrative official or chief officer, as:
        a. Any of several high military or civil officials in ancient Rome. This is based on historical Latin use & is not a particularly common usage in modern English.

b. The chief of police of Paris, France.
         c. A chief administrative official of a department of France. This is a position in France - English is definitely not their first language!

d.
The administrator in charge of discipline at a Jesuit school. There are not many Jesuit schools in the English speaking world. England has not been a Catholic country for several centuries (You �d have to go back to the Stewarts & Tudors for that). The Jesuits were an order originating in Spain, if I remember correctly, so many of their institutions & positions  would not be based on the English language.

2. A student monitor or officer, especially in a private school. This is the only contemporary common English usage noted in the dictionary definition provided.

Cheers,
AB

8 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >