Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!! URGENT TRANSLATION NEEDED!!!!!!!!!    

HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!! URGENT TRANSLATION NEEDED!!!!!!!!!

Portugal

Mar,
Prefect, tutor,monitor, according to the degree of responsability and functional assignments. Check here: it will give you an idea of related vocabulary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefect#Academic

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

With regard to the wikipedia article, the positions mentioned (in academic terms) are student positions in English speaking countries, not official administrative positions. As such, they would not be appropriate (according to that article) for the equivalent position in the defining information provided by Mar in her original question.

Regards,
AB

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

EDIT: this is the article that nikadixon linked in  her deleted post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefect#Academic

Please read this before reading my post, that way my post will actually make sense & be relevant.

Regards,
AB 

They are not actually paid positions in schools. They are usually positions of status with additional duties (except, I expect, for Sweden�s usage - but I also don �t expect Sweden uses English as their official language, so it isn�t particularly relevant as an application of the word for English speakers....). In the final example for American Catholic institutions it is commented as being a �former � use of the word, so is no longer current!

So, as a vocabulary builder, it is interesting (edit: but not 100% relevant), but as far as being useful for the initial question posted, it is actually misleading!

Regards,
AB

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

This is in response to nikadixon�s deleted post recommending the book �A Prefect�s Uncleby P.G. Wodehouse as a reference to �prefect�, �monitor� & something else....

Regards,
AB

With regard to Wodehouse & prefects etc, please refer to this article on �fagging � in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fag_%28personal_servant%29

This sense of prefect & associated  duties is now quite out of date. SO, while very English, it is by no means contemporary.

Regards,
AB

8 Oct 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

What about "hall supervisor" "playground supervisor" or "site supervisor" (especially in middle and high school). 

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

nikadixon? me? encouraging ethnophobia? Not likely... my family is from several continents (& that �s just my immediate family...)

The problem is that a translation has to provide an accurate meaning, that �s all.

Using Wodehouse as an example is quite archaic. When did he write the book you named? First edition published in 1903, if I �m not mistaken. It �s more than 100 years later... so of course English has changed quite radically since then!

Also, I thought this site was for English Teachers to discuss English related topics... so if a translation is requested then surely the implication is for a meaningful translation in the requested language!

So, as you have often asked of people in discussions before... I am simply wanting you & any one else) to make postings that are relevant  to the discussion thread. So please, don �t accuse me of something that cannot be supported by my posts!

Smile Hi damielle!

Long time no see...

A �hall supervisor � would be responsible for many things within one school, as distinct from a larger area or government department with responsibility for many schools. A �playground supervisor � or �site supervisor � would have a similar jurisdiction.

Effectively, none of them would have authority over an area outside of their own school or location.

Cheers,
AB

p.s. nikadixon, it is a shame that you deleted your last (edit: several) post(s)  (& removed your initial wikipedia link) rather than editing or inserting a response!
This certainly does set it up to look like I am at fault...

SHAME ON YOU for not living up to your own demands of other contributors within this forum & manipulating things so that you appear 100% correct. Are you the Pope? No? Then like everyone (me included) you are fallible!

8 Oct 2009     

Portugal

Mar,

Prefect, tutor, (even monitor?) would be quite appropriate, but it �s up to you to decide.

Edit: the choice depends a lot on the approach  of each educational system to disciplinary issues, meaning that none of those would apply to the Portuguese, for example. Good night!

Edit 2: I apologize to the members who participated in this thread, for being unexpectedly involved in a conversation that I considered inappropriate, mixing in the same sentence British and fagging (excuse me, the term turned out to be rather  polissemic in English ). I said in the post I deleted, but I say it again, and more assertively, that I can�t go along with conversations that mix British and fags, even in the old sense of fag, which developed in time, for reasons explainable by diacronic linguistics and contextual factors; I assume this is rather inappropriate. Such a mixture could be regarded as homophobic &  ethnophobic. I believe that mixing British and fags is no proper argumentation for the issue raised by Mar. In fact, as far as I�m considered, it is no proper argumentation in whatever situation, even when I chit-chat with my dear (old) friends whose sexual orientation could lead to that direction. In such a case, I always withdraw. My apoplogies, but it seemed, no matter how I avoided it, the tone was somehow raising, with letters growing big and bold.

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

@nikadixon

waiting, waiting...

I �d like an apology for that deleted post. Or have you taken your ball & gone home?

AB

8 Oct 2009     

snshine001
Mexico

Hi,

I would use either "Perfect", "Disciplinarian", or "Administrator".  "Perfect" is the best translation, but where I was raised in the USA we used "Disciplinarian" and "Administrator".

Sunshine

8 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Ah, nikadixon, you still left out the erroneous comment you made (in the linked post) that the student positions were paid positions!

Maybe your ego will allow you to admit an error someday!

8 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >