Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To the moderators of the website who deleted my worksheet !!    

To the moderators of the website who deleted my worksheet !!

happy-Austrian
Austria

To the moderators of the website who deleted my worksheet !!

Hey dear moderators !

I logged in this morning and found that my � bear bells � ws had been removed.

I could not figure out why because the reason stated was simply � it is not an ESL resource �.

At first I was puzzled but then I saw more messages in my inbox from 3 nice members who told me that there had been kind of a dispute about my ws. The exercise I had done with my students was considered not to be ESL related in the end.

I had to do this kind of exercise a lot of times when I studied English. My professor was a native speaker from Ireland who used to say that this type of task makes the pupils remember the new vocabulary for a long time.

Why do you do word searches with your students then if it is pointless ? Of course word searches are an ESL resource ! My prof �s and now my approach was just a lot different from the usual one and by the way very original: that �s all. :-))

So I won �t tell you what I think about your narrow-minded decision. :-)) I am only telling you that I have done this type of word search with my ss very often and that it has always been successful. They enjoyed it a lot and the learning effect was also great.

I have just uploaded an updated version of my ws again. It still includes the first task for the open-minded teachers in this website who would like to try it with their ss but I have added some reading comprehension questions to serve my not so modern fellow teachers. ;-))

Thank you for your attention. I �m wishing you a wonderful first working week or if you are still on holiday some more time to relax !

The happy Austrian

3 Jan 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

So I won �t tell you what I think about your narrow-minded decision

I  think you did a pretty good job of doing it. I have not seen your printables but I doubt calling people narrow-minded or not so modern is not a good way to pass your opinion along.

3 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

mmmm this all sounds too weird to me. But I can tell you something, I think it �s wrong that you say �narrow minded � teachers because in fact, I can �t see how students would be able to remember random words by putting them 1st, 2nd and so on. I believe you have delusions of grandeur, I don �t see this as original and apparently many other teachers think so too as I wasn �t the only one to vote.
Now with the questions you´ve added it´s better.
If you plan on inventing new activities I recommend you read some methodology books to have as a guide.
If you want to know what was said yesterday in the reporting section here it goes:

THIS PART OF THE MESSAGE HAS BEEN REMOVED FOR PRIVACY REASONS. -VICTOR

3 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Come on Samantha! why do your post this here???... I see no reason to do it!

You are just being bad, trying to make this guy feel bad!... I disagree with this post, so sorry, and I won �t reply if u tell me something, this is kind of childish

3 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Sorry, but the moderators � page isn �t a secret place. 
As this person called us ´narrow minded´ and sounds like she hasn´t seen the reporting page I thought she might find some answers to her post.

3 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

I dont agree with posting moderators comments on the forum. Can you remove this please.

I also liked the different approach to learning vocabulary. I know that the words I have to look up over and over I remember more when I am learning Swedish, so I do think that the professor who was this members teacher just had a different way of helping retain some vocabulary and read a text closely in a different way. Are you a professor Samantha? Do you know everything that there is to know about how people learn?

I do find many of your comments quite abrupt.

3 Jan 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Well, I think this hot discussion from reported wss page should stay where it was...
I don �t know whether  I am narrow-minded or open-minded, but this ws is not very useful for my students...
On the other hand, I can see hundreds of wss accepted every day and they are not useful at all... Unless the wss breaks the rules, it should stay...
I think this ws doesn �t break the rules, so let it be...
We can see hundreds of copied picture + 10 words wss here, so why not accept a text + activity?

IF I got it right the ss are supposed to remember and make sentences from words...
This kind of activity would be great in case of mini-stories or jokes consisting of 30 words or so...
But maybe I am wrong and Bear Bells ws might be useful to advanced ss... I don �t know...

Edit: I see... Look up several words + put them into order... Hmm, might be a good way to force the ss to read the text over and over... Unfortunately my students would get tired quite soon...

Dear Happy Austrian,
You are new here. So take few weeks to look around and you will find this site is excellent source of creative wss and helpful friends... Please judge people AFTER you try to know them...

3 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

I am just a little bit tired of people voting things to be deleted just because they dont understand or know how to use them. Do any of the older members remember a time when so many resources for younger members were being voted off because people had no clue how to actually use them in class?
This worksheet broke no rules. There was an activity. Just because it might not have been suitable for SOME does not mean that it would not be a different task for others.

Again, the comments from the moderating page should not be here. I am pretty sure that this has been mentioned before by Victor on the forum somewhere.

3 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Moravc,
The new worksheet isn �t the one which was deleted!. She uploaded a new one with questions now. Before it was only the text and random words to put in order of appearance...that was the whole wss.. now it has added questions. And it �s better. 

3 Jan 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Right, Samantha, a nasty thing to post the moderators � discussion on the forum!

And I want to add that the discussion was not fully copied, there were opinions (e.g. mine) that said this ws should stay because :
1) it had a text (the source was given),
2) it had a language task.

It was not any better or worse than hundreds of other worksheets on this site! And we know that we should not judge the quality!

So what EXACTLY is all this about?

3 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

The comments are not all there because that was the last time I saw the worksheet!..
And what is all this about!?.... Happy Aus.. uploaded a new version of the one deleted yesterday.
I just find rude that as you can �t defend things you start accusing and attacking! Why don �t you tell us very well what can be done by putting random words in order of appearance!?...
I wonder..... who are the nasty ones here.. Instead of providing an asnwer you start arguing and accusing and fighting!..
Ladybird: and I�ve also mentioned that the fact I don�t like some things is not why I reported this! Don�t twist things to fit your glove!..

3 Jan 2010     

1    2    3    Next >