Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ta!    

Ta!

libertybelle
United States

In London the cockney say, Ta love  -when thanking a person. I read that it  comes from the Nordic
languages for thank you. The word in Danish and Swedish is tak.
There are many Nordic words integrated into British English because
of the Viking invasion.
Words like the town name Kirkby, which is Danish for Church town.
Just to mention a few.

Just my 5 cents worth
L

9 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Amazing how a simple word like �ta� can provoke so much contribution - and not one single word about borders and clipart -hooray.

English has to be one of the most (and this is not a rude word when used correctly) basterdized languages in the world.  Are folks aware that nearly 80% of English is not really English.  We can not only blame the Danes, but the French (always the French!!) Germans, Arabs, Greeks Latin speakers and many many others for contributing to the confusion.

We tend to try and teach our students all these difficult foreign words, but another general statistic is that 80% of what we say in social conversation is actually only taken from the 20% which is the original English.  So if you master the basic 20% of the language, you should be able to speak perfectly well for 80% of the time.  But always remember, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. G�day y�all.

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hahahahaha!!!

Ta everybody, you�ve made my night!!!!

B-)

p.s. �Ta Love� is also considered extremely Aussie - a lot of Australian English is related historically to Cockney with Irish, Welsh & Scottish influences.

9 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

And especially the Normans, Logos!! (I saw a documentary on TV once) And I am from Normandy!
There are many similarities: the word �chat� was pronounced like �cat�, and the verb �carry� comes from the verb �charrier� (ch was pronounced /k/)

9 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I can�t agree more with Logos. that what I pointed out in some other posts todays.
Let�s spend our precious time on this kind of discussion which could turn to be of great importance for a lot of teachers especially non-native speakers, , whatever simple the topics are or could seem.

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

There is a reason that aussies and kiwis stick together overseas. 

1) we both mean the rest of the world when we say overseas.  Ironically when we are talking about going to aussie (which is just over the tasman sea) we don�t consider it going overseas because it is just aussie!

2) Kiwi�s also ask people how was your weekend and then ignore the answer compeltely.  I think both aussies and kiwis truly believe in the same saying "Actions speak louder than words".  although neither species of human will wait for your "fine thank you" - both species will be there to lend a helping hand when you need it - no questions asked - just get stuck in and help! best example of this is - how does a tourist get the best tour of aussie or NZ? Hold a map on a street corner and look lost.  You will be swarmed by people wanting to take you home.

3) Both species smile a lot.  I was recently told it was extremely bizarre how much I smile.  I didn�t realise that smiling could be considered a negative about someone!  And laughing - uh oh!  now i am just headed straight for the looney bin!

4) We can give and take a lot of Sh... umm hassling/teasing without taking offense.  The best way to gage the amount of friendship between 2 aussies/kiwis is to count how many times they insult each other - the more abuse the better the friendship!

5) We are both great at rugby....  Oh, nope - theres the difference - NZ is great at rugby, Aussies like to take a strong second.

9 Dec 2008     

spring
Turkey

Wow,wow,,,
Ta everybody:)))
I like this.
I am not a native speaker and the people in where I live compose of natives.
So I haven�t got any chance to observe this kind of language events.
How different English is when it comes into real..
Theory and practice doesn�t match every time..

9 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Believe it or not... I�ve only ever heard "ta" as in "ta-ta" .. or as vickii pointed out when you are talking to babies or little children maybe three and under.

Must be an Aussie, Kiwi or Brit thing... or I am (was) just not around people who used that expression. Though quite honestly, I don�t think it is all that common in Canada ...quite unsure about that though since each region is / can be  different due to its historical influences...

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Probably because NZ and Aussie are made up of the commoners, miscreants, and in Aussies case - murderers.  Of all england and associated countries whereas canada got mroe of the toffs.

In NZ we like to think we got all the intelligent hardworking ones - but I am sure that alien boy will tell you that once the prisons closed down they sent all the inmates to NZ on a big boat <lies I tell you lies!>

Although my own family history contains one aussie who never did disclose how he got there from england!

9 Dec 2008     

frenchfrog
France

... and France (Les Bleus / The Blue!!!) is going to play against ... yes, New Zealand, the All Blacks, in the Rugby World Cup, 2011!!! Confused

9 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >