Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ta!    

Ta!

eng789
Israel

alien boy
Japan You should  put that info into a ws.  waste, waste, waste.

9 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

To the Aussies and Kiwis down under.

Lets get things clear,  the only people who speak a decent English are the Canadians(like me).  Just kidding.
I was in London a long time ago and I approached a "bobby" and asked him for directions.  He answered me very politely and I looked at him and I said that I knew he  spoke English and so did I.  But, I didn�t have a clue to what he had said.  His accent was soooooooooooooo heavy.

Now, I have a complaint against the Aussies and Kiwis.  Both my daughters have visited your countries and worked in Aus.  and they both fell in love with the people and country.  Both talk about living there some day.
Which means leaving me.

So stop being so nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Logos, sorry mate, me fingers were typing arse about there (too much grog & not enough sheilas...) . I�ve fixed it up now though!

Eng789 - you can have me little brother - fair swap! Actually, he�s been in Canada for the last 15 years. I like it there too, except for the funny accent...

One day that & much more interesting stuff will turn up on a ws near you... just have to finish humping me bluey, take a smoko, & get me act into gear... Maybe when I finish waltzing Matilda (which is originally a Germanic term)

See ya round, like a rissole!
B-)

9 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

I think I should report your forum entry to Victor as being �Non English Worksheet�

I assume by your logo that you are now in Japan, and I am in Malaysia - so if we are so fond of our language so much, why on earth do we move away from it.  Getting a bit late here so will bid you adieu (another fine English word!!)

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Going back to the original post,

I have noticed this with my daughter (18 months). �She can differenciate between languages, with regard to who she speaks to: �So she asks me for "ammummy" (Dummy) and her grandmother "apete" (chupete - Dummy in Spanish). �But at other times she uses the simplest concept: "in air" (in there) is much easier than the Spanish.

Just the other day she asked her granny "ame pollo" (dame pollo - Give me chicken), then turned to me and said "icken pleezze" (chicken please). �What was intereting is this: "dame" is a nice "give it to me" concept. �In spanish we have: "dame" and "toma" ("give it to me" and "here you are"), in French too. �When I read you post I understand that you are using "ta" in the same way, am I correct? �At the moment I say "give it to daddy". �Obviously I�m loosing that battle as "dame" is much much easier. �Both are complete sentence. �There are other situations where it�s much easier in English, Please vs "Por Favor". �I think it has to do with how easy the sentence is to say.

But Vickii are you sure the toddler is not saying "(es)ta", as in "you mean this one" or "(aqui es)ta" as in "Here it is".

It�s possible they are using the simplest concept in this case in Spanish.

9 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

The child is used to speaking only english at home around her parents and tends to adapt her language for visitors.  she only really speaks spanish at daycare.  So I am certain it was �ta� just because of the way she used it as well.

I really find it interesting when children swap between languages like that - it makes so much sense to them.

9 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Do you use "ta" as in "give it to me"? �This would really help me in my battle over "dame". �Although I�ve never used it like that, so I probably wouldn�t anyway. �They also use "ta" as in thank you in Bolton.

9 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

I agree with logos, alien boy  some people may think you are being crude.   

I think you better translate the following line before we report you to Victor.Wink

"just have to finish humping me bluey, take a smoko, & get me act into gear"

9 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

... well, I know what a "smoko" is..  and the phrase "get me act into gear" we use in Canada too... but  have to finish humping me bluey... well THAT just scares me.. lol

9 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

well, well, well.... Aussie English strikes again!!!!

Does anyone know what �Waltzing Matilda� is? (besides being a song). Any ideas anyone?
�Humping a bluey� is similar!

Tongue
B-)

10 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >