Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What my son told me last night    

What my son told me last night

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

What my son told me last night

I always read my sons a story before going to bed.... last night the oldest asked me... "mom, why are you always asking me to be behave and be a good kid?" before i could say anything he said " look mom, cinderella came home after midnight, pinocchio lied, aladdin was a thief, batman drove over speed limit, sleeping beauty was lazy, snow white lived with a bunch of guys, hansel and gretel left crumbs all over, the little red riding hood didnt obeyed her mom, goldilocks entered trespassed and  stole from the bears  and popeye smoked and they all have a book and are famous!"   wow i guess i have to be careful from now on!

3 May 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

LOL...How old is your son??? Ed

3 May 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

3 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

Liz, I agree with your son, I �ve been considering tales terrifying since I was a little girl, with witches poisoning their step-daughters, girls throwing elderly ladies into hot pots with boiling water (after eating her chocolate house), kids being left by their father in the woods alone at night, wolves eating grannies and having their stomach opened with a knife...
And then parents complain the TV has too much violence! Disapprove

3 May 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Liz...Your son is very insightful. But look at our society, how many crooks go on and write a book or make a movie deal and make tons of money off of their infamy?
Hi Zalida. From what I �ve read (although never the original stories) Grimm �s fairy tales were truly terrifying. Over the years they �ve been tamed down.

3 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

See this:

Fitness freak want Santa Claus banned

3 May 2011     

zailda
Brazil

I ask my students if it �s acceptable that Rapunzel allows the Prince to enter her bedroom through the window at night... not really a problem, but is it a good example? Shouldn �t we read the tales first, before allowing our kids to have access to them?

I know it may sound funny, but how many unethical concepts do they have?

I also consider the tales sexist: why would a princess have as her main objective in life to marry a stupid prince that is unable to distinguish between her and her cruel step mother? Why shouldn �t the princess go to medical school and save many lives? Why do we want our "little princess" to believe that after marriage she �ll be "happy forever"?

3 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

hi all of you,

yes Ed you �re absolutely right about Grimm �s original fairy tales. But I think that there are some little things to take in account.

first of all the 1st �fairy � tales were not written for children but to denounce, in a hidden way, some �little things � that were  not told.

Then, dear Liz you have to be very proud of your son becauxe, like most of our young, of the present generation, he is able to analyse, or at least to understand better than grouw ups, subtle messages hidden in stories.

Our youth may teach us more wisdom than we usually expect from them, won �t they ?

Many thanks for such an interesting debate, Liz !

Plenty of hugs to all of you.

Maryse.

3 May 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

You are absolutely right Zailda. That �s why I love the story The Paperbag Princess. Ed

3 May 2011     

britishschwa
Cayman Islands

Your son? I �ve read that ! but in Spanish http://www.mimejorfrase2.info/mifrase-141160.html

Hug

3 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

hi again Zailda,

remember we read old standards, I mean with the values the societies considered at the time of the writing. Then fairy tales are �international roads � to transmit universal symbols and in psychlogy our readers may identify with the character(s) they �unconsciously � �twin with � in several aspects.

That �s how some psychanalists dealing with children can identify some characteristics of the problem to get rid of.

Nowadays these fairy tales are readable under other kinds of stories... Let �s think ot that and try to identify our �new � ewpressions of the same timeless symbols...

Really surprising, indeed.

3 May 2011     

1    2    3    Next >