Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A new rule against flashcards?    

A new rule against flashcards?

mariannina
Italy

Well, flashcards are essential in teaching English to young learners. I totally agree with Ali Ali  that it is handy to have all the material in our site and that the FCS could be placed in the same way as the templates.
Thanks and ciao.
Mariannina

9 Sep 2011     

jg574
Argentina

DON �T DO THAT PLEASE!!!!!Cry

9 Sep 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Victor, please don �t do that, FC are very important to teach english to children (especially young kids) they need concrete things to grasp the vocabulary, imaging a kid who had never seen snow to try to understand the meaning of that word without a picture of it, more so when they live in a country where they dont have it.  For teachers who do not use any of their native language in their classroom and teach only english the whole class, FC are the only way to explain the concepts (aside from TPR when it is possible). I do think that maybe we can have a section for free FC as other have said.  

9 Sep 2011     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hello Victor!

Please, don �t remove flahcards from your website! I use them a lot, here in Portugal, especially with children who come from other countries and don �t speak portuguese. They are an excellent way of communication!!!

But Ali �s idea seems to be Great: Creating a specific place for "FLASHCARDS" like TEMPLATES!

Have a Great Weekend!

ascincoquinas.

9 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

While it can �t be denied that flashcards are a useful tool, we should also bear in mind that they �re not that difficult to create either. I can certainly remember making them -  pre-internet - either by my own fair hand or from readily available sources like magazines and so on. And that �s not counting the cards which were bundled with course books from the publishers (whether your department opted for them or not; we never sent them back anyway).

More to the point, I just checked �contents � here for flashcards and found that there are 136 pages of flashcards - not 136 flashcards but pages. Each page (not counting the power points) has 20 flashcard �worksheets �, each of which might average a set of 6 x 4, usually following a specific theme. That, by any reckoning, is a helluva lot of flashcards. I �m with Victor here: there �s nothing particularly creative about sticking a border round someone else �s artwork and there are already enough flashcards to go round... and then some (including so-called �pictionary � cards). If you can �t find what you want here, perhaps you �re not looking hard enough.

Oh, and I can �t really see the point of captioning flashcards - unless you �re going to use them for a display. 

9 Sep 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

I agree that flashcards are a helping tool for all of us.It takes a great effort for someone to make them even if he doesn �t draw the pictures.They should be here for everyone to use.Yes, having a special place for them like the templates is great but I think the people who make them should get some points-maybe have a system like the OE points system.
Lilia

9 Sep 2011     

imelda
Mexico

Hi, I would just like to say that making flashcards is an effort on behalf of the person who makes them and they are so necessary in what we do that there are flashcards which have been downloaded up to 1200 and some times. I think that it would be great to be able to download flashcards for free because i wouldnt have to use my point to get them and they are something that I need but I think that it is not fair for the person as said before who spends sometimes up to days looking for just the right pictures to make them.

10 Sep 2011     

ppcal
Peru

Hello Flashcards are very important I take them from here they well done and kids love them so please we need flashcards from here.

10 Sep 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

I join the ranks of those voting for flashcards to stay. IMHO they are a valuable esl resource, especially when working with young beginners. I know there are lots of flashcards around but everybody likes a different style of graphics (and obviously different sets of words). With so many around each one is bound to find a style s/he likes.
Even though many of the flashcards don �t contain �original � work, I do appreciate the amount of time and thought which goes into putting a nice set together. Whenever I download a set of flashcards from here, it saves me a lot of time! For me that is definitely worth the points!

10 Sep 2011     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

Victor ... just a question, there is a rule that says that if a ws is not dowloaded after some time it is going to be removed but it isnt... i think that there are too many ws with 0 downloads taking up space and making us so difficult to search for ws. is it possible to clean a little bit so we dont have to spend so many hours searching? 

10 Sep 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >