Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Inappropriate worksheet content    

Inappropriate worksheet content

goodnesses
Algeria

YOU TOO

27 Sep 2008     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Dear Goodnessess,

I�m sorry, but I have to disagree with you when you say: "The owner of WS will have shown his respect to the majority of the members because no one said he is to be banned because of one WS (which most said it is inappropriate but no one said it is useless or worthless)."

For fletsch said (on the first post): "I think that all of us at ESLprintables should boycott his worksheets, etc, and I think his account should be closed." 

In my opinion, once you said: (on the second post) "I absolutely agree with you". you agreed with everything fletsh suggested, including CLOSE/BAN the guy�s account.

When I saw that worksheet I was a bit shocked too, and I didn�t download his worksheet for I�m not going  to teach biology in my English class, until now I�m only teaching The LANGUAGE, but at the same time I thought: "If I were working on a project about the WHOLE BODY, this worksheet could be useful or if I were giving a course for medical students...)

To conclude, I think everybody has his/her genital and its still a tabboo to talk about it in many socities, including mine (Braziilian), but it�s not a SIN... and maybe one day I�ll need to talk/teach about it in English,
but if most of the people in this WONDERFUL AND DIVERSE site think this worksheet should not be here, just report to VICTOR, and let HIM decide...

But start a BOYCOT and BAN chain it is TOO CRUEL  for me...  (speacially when we know nothing about the person). Even though, it wans�t you intention to do that, once you and all the others agreed with fletsh, you all signed the boycott and ban chain!!!!!

PS.: I MAY BE WRONG, BUT THAT�S HOW I FELT WHEN I READ EVERYHING THAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN IN THIS POST, AND I REALIZED HOW WE MUST BE CAREFUL WHEN WE AGREE WITH A PERSON�S SPEECH...

28 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Wakebeauty. Nice to read from again.
I immediately was tempted to answer you marked a point. But, when I reviewed my post I found that I needn�t to. Maybe you are right as long as we consider that I maybe did not express myself clearly.
When I said to fletsch "I absolutely agree with you." I meant only that the WS is inapropriate. Because if you read the rest of the post you can realize that I tried to take the issue objectively and fairly. Then I started with "if" condition that is suppositions because no one can affirm the WS author intententions.

If the purpose is ((=this what I think it was)) to give the SS (more importantly the young ones) some general knowledge about intimate parts of the body, it can�t be but the job of the parents themselves and/or some specialized people/teachers
((=biology, genitics, natural science=somehow advanced age)) in some particular situations. That is absolutely not the job of an English language teacher....

then I said..

What I am mean here is more to protect (in many cases) the teacher than the Ss. Don�t you ((=impersonal)) know that a lot of teachers have been accused of the most unthinkable things and where even sentenced to unbelievable sanctions. All this because one day they open "maybe innocently" the way to discussion about some political, cultural issues thinking they were just teaching their kids universal freedoms and liberties and how to express themselves....

Do you really think I would have said this and more IF I had been in a hurry to cut this member�s head off?
Do you really think I would have spent hours trying to explain to some members that using the word "Inquisition" is too much and unacceptable and that I don�t like it IF I had been in a hurry to cut this member�s head off?
When the discussion went on I even forgot the member�s name because I was trying to focus, as far as it was possible for me, on discussing the issue of who can teach what? What can be taught and when and what age?

Sorry if some misunderstood my words maybe because I didn�t formulate my thoughts correctly and accurately.
Sometimes I answer (I don�t have enough experience and knowledge about forums usage and practices) many post at a time especially when I feel they are all nearly the same direction.

Finally, How is "little Beauty" Clown Tongue is she still shining like the sun and enlightening you days and nights. I am sure she is.
CU

28 Sep 2008     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Hey Goodnessess,

I agree with u when u say that in the rest of ur first post u tried to take the issue objectively and fairly - and u really did, because the law is very strict against the teacher, so we should be really careful!!!!  

Then you started with the "if" condition that means suppositions, what shows that u weren�t affirming anything, just supposing... and for supposing so many RIGHT things as u did in your whole first post u weren�t in a hurry to cut  iagomez alfonso�s head off...

BUT I�M SURE THE WHOLE INQUISITIVE, INQUISITOR, INQUISITIONS (whatever) started not  because ur suppositions, BUT BECAUSE U SAID U COMPLETELLY AGREED WITH FLETSH and one of his POINTs OF VIEW  WAS TO cut the guy�s head off...

So, answering ur question, I really don�t think you were in a hurry to ban iagomez, and I�m sure u really DIDN�T/DON�T want to do that,  but I think u were in a hurry when u agreed with fletsh, and once agreeing with him (with everything he said, even though u didn�t mean it), u joined the REAL inquisitor... �COZ FOR HIM iagomez HAD TO GO TO THE (boycott and close) HANG, WITHOUT FORGIVENESS...

In my country there is a saying that says: Tell me with whom u walk and I�ll tell who u are (I don�t know its version in English!)  

So dear Goodnessess, if u had said u agreed IN PARTS with fletch, I�m sure people would have seen that u only agreed with the inquisitor�s REASONS (that were coherent), but NEVER, EVER with the inquisition itself...

I sincerely  mean it from the botton of my heart... HOPE U UNDERSTAND IT!!!!!!

PS.: I love when u ask about my LITTLE BEAUTY!!!! She�s, for sure, shining my life... BTW, her name is Hannah and she is 3 years old, but if you preffer u can continue calling her LITTLE BEAUTY, �coz I don�t know why, but I totally agree with u... kkkkkkkkkkkk

And fletsh, if u read this post, I really think u REALLY ACTED as an inquisitor..., U MAY NOT BE ONE, BUT WHEN WE ACT AS ONE, WE BECOME ONE!!!! (at least that�s how people will see u... 

28 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hannah! what a beautiful name.

You know it was a name (I am sure there is no difference between Hannah and Anna it�s just a matter of pronunciation) many people used to give to their little beauties here in my country Algeria until it was banned like many other beautiful names (male & female) which originated from thousands of years in our history. You know why? Because of the late years, decades Inquisition and intolerance. Yes, so unbelievable it could appear for some people living in the warmth and fuzziness of their wealthy countries (Brazil not included),  Inquisition and intolerance in the 21st century.

So, understand me, when someone uses instantly without thinking about others feeling such words as Inquisition, intolerance, obscurantism and as the one who used the word "fun", what an innocent word, to talk about 9/11 as if it were just a fiction movie so I lose control. I become more than upset, angry, outraged at the limit of ...intolerance.

Maybe for those European "Inquisition" is so far away behind that the term became a run-of -the-mill. It is not the case for many, many countries. So, I think there is a handful of words/terms that we here, especially as teachers,  shouldn�t take as granted and use instantly without thinking that maybe they can hurt some other members feeling.

Anyway,

Yes I�d like to continue calling her "little beauty".
I call her so because of your user name "wakebeauty". Who can use such a lovely expression "wake beauty" if not a loving mother waking up her beloved one when the morning has come?

May God protect her. And you too.

29 Sep 2008     

wakebeauty
Brazil

I see what u mean... �coz u suffer in ur flesh/country  the intolerance we were talking here, so it must be really hard to hear somebody call u intolerant when in reality u weren�t ... 

But as u said, an innocent word/sentence can have a tremendous impact on somebody�s life... so let�s all be careful with what we say and how we say that, right?!?!?!?!?!?

Unbelievable, for me, a Brazilian, that in the 21st century a name is still banned from a country because of intolarence, may it be political, religious, etc. It�s really sad...

I don�t know much about ur country, but I�ll read about it...

And, yes, Hannah means Anna, which I think its origin is hebraic, but in my country it is spelled ANA. So Hannah in Brazil is a foreign name, so when people ask if it is an English name I tell them it�s a Hebrew name and if it were spelled without the last "H" I say it would be a Japanese name. I Don�t know if it�s correct, but I remember reading this somewhere whem my husband chose the name...

May God bless our words/world(s)

29 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Sorry to seem tag-along but I�ve just reviewed my comment left for iagomez about his WS. I let you judge. don�t feel obliged to reply. This is just a reminder.

Absolutely inappropriate. We are all here teachers of ENGLISH not even biology. Be careful not to mix up every thing.          posted by goodnesses

29 Sep 2008     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Ok, Goodnesses -I see what u mean... Wink,
so it�s totally understood, my dearHeart !

a little kiss  for you (*.*) and...
...a big warm hugHug (as warm/hot as our countries are, right? hhehehehehe)

29 Sep 2008     

Zora
Canada

I�d just like to point out since I have taught in Spain for many years ... (hola todos Smile) and that Natural Sciences (as many of you have experienced already) is sometimes taught in English (granted it�s at a lower level but who�s not to say in the future it doesn�t continue up to the higher grades) and now Math too, starting from this year onwards...  Also, I�d like to point out that my boyfriend has friends in Portugal (in university) and some of the subjects are taught in English, or if not taught then the work and exams are done in English (especially Engineering degrees) because books on the different subjects are not readily available in Portuguese.  So, in other words, please don�t be so quick to say such things since some of us might actually need worksheets like iagomez�s, believe it or not

And I completely agree with Beauty, each person should be allowed to decide if they want to download the worksheet or not.

29 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

This is my last post here.

Though somehow long but it is just a reminder:

As far as I know this is a website specially and exclusively for teachers of English as a Second Language (ESL) and/or English as Foreign Language (EFL)

Nothing to do with teaching biology or natural sciences in English. No one can deny to teachers of these subjects to do what they have to do as for ESL/EFL teachers no one can deny them to do what they feel they have to  do in their classes.

There are tons of websites out there dealing with biology and natural sciences in any language which can be much more interesting for the teachers and/or SS of these subjects.

In his last comment to respond to the other members� comments Iagomez said he made this WS and handed it his SS in order to give them vocabulary related to the "intimate parts of the body" "in another language".
I invite you to consider this "in another language" in his comment and what does it infer?

Before I continue, let�s make it clear, I am speaking within the limits of someone trying to understand and/or giving advice if possible. I am not ordering, commending and not even recommending.

Back to: give them vocabulary related to the "intimate parts of the body" "in another language"
I am quite sure if not certain according to this that Iagomez is not a teacher of English (ESL or EFL). At least this is what I understand from "in another language".
He is more a teacher of Biology or something like that. So, don�t you think he is falling in behind a teacher of language ("in another language")?

We concede he lets this job to the teacher of English. The question stays always true form this one too. Don�t you think the teacher of English (language) would be falling in behind the teacher of biology ("intimate parts of the body")?

This leads us to the following conclusion:
A teacher of Biology doesn�t have to fall in behind his colleague teacher of language (ESL/EFL). Because at the moment we start dealing with vocabulary we get into the shoes of a teacher of language.
BUT
A teacher of language may from time to time (because a rich vocabulary is ncessary to enhance the SS�s understanding and comprehension of written and spoken language) fall in behind any teacher of a scientific subject at a certain extent (not teach any vocabulary anyhow, anytime at any age and still remains some Voc. that should be the parents�s and society�s job) within certain limits (not get in the other teacher�s shoes and teach his subject in his place ie. Voc. not scientific rules, formulas and theories)

Finally, this is just to say that no one is here to be in the shoes of another because we never can.
No one is here to commend or give orders to others.
We are all here to exchange ideas and advice.

Regards evry body.

29 Sep 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >