Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Inappropriate worksheet content    

Inappropriate worksheet content

jcirnes
Mexico

Goodnesses,

Good thing you heard wakebeauty. I totally agree with her in everything she says and with you in your first comment, especially in the aspect of appropriateness of material for the subject taught.

When I mentioned the Inquisition I meant we are in no position to ban anyone (judge and cut a member�s head off). I�m sorry if by my doing so, I offended you. It was not my intention.

I repeat (as others have said as well) �If you wouldn�t use the material, DON�T DOWNLOAD IT.� I don�t want to start another argument about this.

BTW my avartar is a picture of a teacher who is satisfied because he�s just finished doing his job and relaxing for a moment. Please don�t misinterpret it.

Regards, Julio

29 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, I am happy to see more opinions.

I do not see why an English teacher cannot teach Biology or any other subject, if she/he is prepared to do so.

Besides, many of us work with different texts on different subjects to improve reading comprehension in our students and in this way we are also dealing with different topic, other than grammar rules.

As an example of this,  I have a friend in Bs.As who is an English teacher and she is teaching Biology in English. This school has classes both in Spanish and in English. Biology is one of the subjects taught in English.

Adios :)

30 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, Everybody!

I said I stop participating in this discussion, but since it has taken this turn (Who teach what?When?How?) so why not profit from your opinions. I think it is  better topic to discuss.

If you permit I�d like to start by quoting myself.

�This leads us to the following conclusion:
A teacher of Biology doesn�t have to fall in behind his colleague teacher of language (ESL/EFL). Because at the moment we start dealing with vocabulary, we get into the shoes of a teacher of language.
BUT
A teacher of language may from time to time (because a rich vocabulary is necessary to enhance the SS�s understanding and comprehension of written and spoken language) fall in behind any teacher of a scientific subject but at a certain extent (not teach any vocabulary anyhow, anytime at any age and still remains some Voc. that should be the parents� and society�s job) and within certain limits (not get in the other teacher�s shoes and teach his subject in his place ie. Voc. not scientific rules, formulas and theories)�

BEST REGARDS to ALL

30 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, I forgot to say my friend would probably find this worksheet very useful :)

Thanks!

30 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

In this case, your friend is a teacher of biology (in English) not a teacher of English (ESL/EFL).
And yes, the WS in question may be very interesting for her. I say "may be" because I don�t see when a teacher of biology can use puzzles and crosswords in his class except during slack periods.

BUT here a question comes to the mind: A teacher of biology does he have to teach "vocabulary" with games, crosswords and puzzles?
According to me when we start dealing with vocabulary for the aim of teaching (new) vocabulary we become a language teacher. Because what ever he uses and what ever the method is a teacher of biology (or any other science subject) should keep in mind it for teaching biology.
However a teacher of language may teach scientific vocabulary as part of language learning and keep in mind he is not teaching that subject.
Example: I have to deal with the topic of natural disasters. Let�s say tsunami.
Of course here I have to introduce some vocabulary related to many scientific fields; geology, astrophysics, oceanography, meteorology...
This Voc. is to help the PP with their understand of written language(reading and writing) and the spoken language (listening and conversation).
Now the situation is simple:
If my colleague of natural science teaches in English the deal is obvious: The Voc. is for me the Formulas are for him.
If he teaches in the SS� mother tongue that is not English the deal is also clear: the Voc. is for me and only me. There is no need the SS� be bothered with learning a scientific subject in English. It is no use. Otherwise the Gov. would have stated teaching this subject in that foreign or second language.

30 Sep 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

In the UK, as well as EFL and ESL we also have ESP (English for Specific Purposes) - the most common areas are English for Law, Tourism, Banking, Engineering and of course Medicine so it isn�t uncommon for English teachers to be teaching these topics in more detail.

30 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Yes But this is ESP it means what it means. Specific is not General.
In ESP we don�t teach engineering as an example. We teach the language through a specific vocabulary related to engineering to help the specialized teachers by avoiding them to deal with things related to language learning which could be handicap for them when dealing with their own subject.
In ESP we teach the language using the specific Voc. to prepare the SS especially to the communicative side of their careers.
In ESP we have to deal with adult SS or at most young adults not teens or young children.

So, a teacher of English for specific purpose could he be considered as a teacher of bilogy, trading, engineering..?
Excuse me but I doubt.

30 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Goodnesses dear, my friend is an English teacher (ESL). So please do not take for granted that what you know is the only right thing. Puzzles can be great activities.

For me, there is no need to have the last post or write in big fonts in red and yellow to make myself heard.

That�s all. I think most of us have agreed there is no need to ban a worksheet and be so censorious because its topic is a bit sensitive. We can really hurt people�s feelings.  And I am glad about it :) Au revoir

1 Oct 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

I wasn�t aware that I implied that an ESP teacher could be considered a teacher of biology, engineering etc.  Far from it, what I was saying is that as an English teacher you sometimes have to teach courses which involve teaching English for a specific purpose - for example to nurses and doctors which has happened often in the past here.  As you rightly say this involves teaching the vocabulary for that particular topic - and we are doing that as English teachers not as teachers of biology or engineering. 

1 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Jorgelinaac
Argentina
The content of my post was clear enough to know it was not addressed to you. I am not obliged to mention who I am replying to. This shows that you don�t read all the posts. I don�t want to be rude. But if you can�t follow the discussion or you don�t find it interesting so leave it please.
Yes I said that I am not staying but when I saw it took a more interesting turn with Kaz76 and others I decided to keep on participating to profit from their opinions because this is a very serious issue for me and I think for many other teachers.
And please, this "
So please do not take for granted that what you know is the only right thing" is at the limit of politeness.

Dear
kaz76
United Kingdom
You can see that I agree with you and that we on the same line.
Up till here I think we answered the question "Who teaches what?"
However you say it yourself, this concerns teaching English to people such as nurses, doctors, engineers, businessman... in other words adult people. Then, the question "How to teach, when, what age and how?" is not completely answered.
If you don�t mind, I�d like to remind you that the example all started with was "Can a
teacher of English as (ESL/EFL)
teach the very intimate parts of the body to young learners (that is primary, middle and secondary school or the equivalent in any country)?"

1 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >