Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Confusing modal meaning    

Confusing modal meaning

alien boy
Japan

Such arrogance! But not unexpected. Well, if are happy to remain ignorant about a language you profess to be an expert in, so be it.

9 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

You will be the last person to judge my expertise , AB... I guess you still have to learn a lot before you teach, because an ignorant teacher teaches ignorance. And I would also suggest you do a short course in etiquette. 

9 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Nice continuous updating Gi2gi. Such perspicacity on display! Enjoy your fishing and mental onanism.

9 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

alien boy,mental onanism, huh - probably it took you some hard practice before you started using the term  :D Slowly you are starting to reveal the reason for your blurred mind. Everything is clear with you. I �ll leave you alone with your pervert fantasies. 

9 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Georgi,

Your example about all the forms "must have been completed and returned" might be grammatically correct (I �m just not sure), but we wouldn �t say it that way. We would say "must be completed and returned", because it is a future requirement.

Bruce 

9 Mar 2015     

slavchik
Russian Federation

it is wrong, of course

9 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Bruce! I �ve actually seen Giorgi �s final example used in guidelines for tertiary admisson to several colleges in the UK. The initial structure that Giorgi stated seemed strange at first glance. With expanded context, it is something used in formal British English. This leads me to think that it �s the lack of additional contextual detail which creates the immediate �wrongness � felt by native speakers when reading his first passive future example, as distinct from the rigid logic of arrogant grammarians. Cheers, AB

9 Mar 2015     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/199390/use-of-must-have-for-obligation-in-the-future has more details. 

9 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I �m not a grammarian and so my head is spinning after this, but the first example is compulsion (it must be!) and the second one is deduction/inference. (I think it must have been...) Just to clarify;-)

You might see the second one, but only if the sentence continues. �It must have been finished by Monday, because it was published on Tuesday �.

I do hope this helps! 

I  

9 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

To finish with this topic, as I said in my first post, I am convinced that there are cases when the perfect infinitive combined with a modal verb CAN be used to refer to the future tense. Although, such cases might not be as common as when they refer to the past. This source has some examples:

We�ll meet again next week. We might have finished the work by then.

I will phone at six o�clock. He should have got home by then.

As for must, my last example is indeed extant and used at least in some places/context or probably dialects.
Good night everyone. 

9 Mar 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >