Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Confusing modal meaning    

Confusing modal meaning

yanogator
United States

No, your first post was specifically about the passive use, and these new examples are active (and definitely correct).

I �ll take your word about your last statement, since I can �t prove that the sentence doesn �t exist anywhere in the English-speaking word. 

Bruce 

9 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Bruce, this is what I said :

"But, if you use a phrase that clearly implies the future, you can also use the perfect infinitive for the future, just like you would use the future perfect tense "

As for the passive, I am not sure that the change of voice will make the sentence lose its correctness, though ...

Are you saying that while this sentence is OK 

We�ll meet again next week. We might have finished the work by then.

Then its passive variant is wrong?

We�ll meet again next week. The work might have been finished by then.

Sorry If I got you wrong. I will come back tomorrow hoping to see your comments which I generally find interesting. 

9 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

And just to round it out, if anyone has an example of the �It must have been finished by next Monday. � form that is stand alone in usage, rather than a mere fragment, I �d love to see some. It �s prescriptively grammatically possible, but I have yet to see it in my limited interaction with descriptive grammars. Have a wonderful day everyone.

9 Mar 2015     

jean-in-japan
Japan

Interesting.  

I agree that this sentence is fine: By that date all the forms required must have been completed and returned to the School Administration office.

Why then does �It must have been finished by next Monday � seem so wrong then?  One possible reason is that, to the native speaker, �finished � seems like an adjective in that sentence rather than a past participle.  The verb �complete � is a transitive verb, and, with the object of �complete � stated in the sentence (in the passive voice), this sentence is clearly the present perfect in the passive voice.   �Finish, � on the other hand, is both an intransitive and a transitive verb.  I would argue that, without a clear object stated, native speakers perceive �finish � as an intransitive verb.   �The movie finishes at 9 p.m. �  and �What time does the dance finish? � can be simplified as �It finishes at 9 p.m. � or �What time does it finish? �  In these cases �it � is the subject, not the object.  In the sentence �It must have been finished by next Monday, � we see (or hear) �it � as the subject, not the object.  Thus �it must have been finished � is not perceived as being in the passive voice, because �it � is interpreted to be the subject rather than the object. Therefore we interpret �It must have been finished � to be the past tense of �must � showing deduction -- �It must have been raining -- that �s why his shoes were wet. �   �Their marriage must have been over by then because he went on holiday by himself. �  And, since �must have � is a past tense form, it is clearly impossible/wrong to use �by next Monday � with it.  

In your above sentence, it �s also possible that �must have been � is used instead of �must be � in order to make a slight distinction in the time of the two different actions (completing the forms and returning them).  First, they �re completed.  Then, they �re returned.  The �be � before �returned � is omitted as something that is understood. 

If you can change the sentence around and add other elements to it to make it clear that �finish � is being used as a transitive verb, then, yeah, maybe it �s possible.  This might be one example.  The teacher, talking to his students, says:

�Okay, you �ve had a lot of homework to do these past few months.  I know it �s been a difficult week, but, by next Monday, all of your assignments must have been finished and then put on my desk. �  Personally, as a Canadian, I would probably say �... must be finished � in that sentence but I know in the U.K. the perfect tense is used more often than it is in North America.

9 Mar 2015     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I haven �t really followed a lot of the ins and outs of this grammatical debate (t �s over my head), however, to refer to the original question - Mariflo, you are right. Must+have+pp can only be used for logical deduction for the past.

10 Mar 2015     

yanogator
United States

Well, Georgi, I �m not saying it �s wrong - just that we wouldn �t say it that way. So, even if it can be defended grammatically, it isn �t useful. 

Also, I guess I misspoke before. It was your examples that were passive, not your statement.. 

Bruce 

11 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Bruce, I�d be taking many of his statements as just aggressive!

Thanks everyone, I�ve found this thread interesting, even Giorgi�s musings on grammatical structures. Obviously not his overt aggression, however.

Take care, everyone!

11 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Despite some good-for-nothing, self-revealing comments from an extraterrestial member of the forum, the topic was somewhat interesting, as a whole. Thanks everyone for having the time to comment.

12 Mar 2015     

alien boy
Japan

Wow, Giorgi! I was so surprised that you were so intimidated by me that you had to make a personal attack on me (when you don �t know me from a bar of soap) before I called you a wanker! Passive agressive or what? I don �t suppose you �re particularly familiar with either British or antipodean Englishes. Bye-bye

12 Mar 2015     

Gi2gi
Georgia

AB,  I WOULD NOT LIKE TO ENTER IN A GRUESOME DIALOGUE WITH YOU AND EXCHANGE INSULTS AND OFFENCES. THIS IS NOT MY STYLE. FAREWELL. 

12 Mar 2015     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >