Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)    

F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)

cgato
Portugal

I just logged in and I was amazed by the discussion Marta�s ws has caused. Isn�t the criteria for uploading ws, that they are about esl teaching?We are all aduts and teachers. We have different kind of students, different religious and cultural backgrounds! If we find a ws useful we download it, if we don�t we don�t download it!!! Just as simple as that!
I have  found the discussion about the genital ws a loss of time!Idon�t know what teachers all around the world need for their classes and I didn�t find it shocking because it�s not too different from what my biology colleages teach! If they were pictures about lungs or heart they wouldn�t cause such an argument!
I�m rather interested in learning ( from and with you) matters concerning methods, strategies, grammar, linguistic accuracy....
Let�s be tolerant and colleagues that share!Wink

3 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, ladies and gentlemen (more ladies I suppose)
I �ll try to make short.
First, there are taboo topics and taboo topics. The ones that we can deal with in our classes but still with great precaution such as common/scientific (by opposition to vulgar) vocabulary related to the intimate parts of the body and the ones we should not even think of mentioning in our classes such as offensive words or F*words.
Because when we teach a topic we must be prepared and able to accept its feedback especially from teens.

So a simple question:
Are you ready "one day" to accept staying in a class where each sentence pronounced starts with an F*word and finishes with?

Second I come back to my question(s) which no one has answered completely and clearly up till now:

"Who teaches what? When? What age?" and I can add "What for?"

3 Oct 2008     

cgato
Portugal

Yes, I am. I�m a teacher!!! My job is, besides teaching English, advise and help students to have moral values, become good people, be tolerant, wise and generous. By doing so that day won�t happen! It has never had!For me there are no taboo topics! My students come to me for advice when they can�t talk to their parents! I usually start by telling them: � I�m going to speak to you as if you were my daughter/son...� Many parents have thanked me for my helping their children when they couldn�t... !
I�m not just an English teacher, but a teacher that really cares about her students and is always available for helping them!

3 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I can�t agree more with you. that is really the role of a good teacher. I can�t add anything more.
However, when your student come to you and you start the conversation with "� I�m going to speak to you as if you were my daughter/son...�" don�t you think that you are unwillingly putting some guardrail to the conversation so as to tell them that some language won�t be tolerated. Because I can hardly imagine a kid speaking to his mother or father using openly the word f***.

I am convinced that this kind of words whatever the language is, aren�t tolerated neither by the family nor the society and even less by or in schools.

We watch American movies with young people tattooed all over their bodies, holding and playing with extremely dangerous weapons, consuming drugs, but I can remember hearing one of them pronouncing such words in front of his/her father and even less in front of his/her mother.

I agree with you that there are things we teach our kids which we don�t plan or prepare a WS for.
Very often we take advantage from an given instant situation and teach the kids some thing (new).
Example: I am in class and I hear one of them pronouncing this kind of words (for the first time), I stop and try to explain to him/her that this is an offensive word that he/she shouldn�t use anyhow anywhereunless he/she wants to get into trouble with someone. This is also teaching.
A teacher of whatever is not a robot.

As Vickii says so well. The kids learn enough of such language on TV so let�s not to add to it.

3 Oct 2008     

cgato
Portugal

But I have witnessed kids speaking to their parents using such offensive words that they don�t use when talking to me or some other teachers! because many teachers in our schools are physically aggressed by students and parents. Other aggress their own parents!In my country some parents have lost control of their teenager children! It�s hard (and long) to explain- and I don�t want to take your time-   but here in Portugal the education is a mess!! Our authority as teachers has been destroyed by our government and their policies! So we are struggling- really hard- to educate the next generation into values such as honesty, hardwork, discipline, self-esteem.. If we don�t succeed a whole generation will be lost!
 Some time ago I posted a message thanking everyone because all your work has helped me out through these difficult times!If you have the time take a look:
So, The f* word is offensive but recently it has become so sadly common in my country (the portuguese translation) that now it is not a priority to me!Unhappy
Despite our cultural differences and different points of view, it�s nice to talk to someone who takes his job seriously as I�ve seen that you do!
Keep on participating! I enjoy reading your opinion

4 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I don�t say this kind of kids does exist. They existed and still exist everywhere . But everyday their number is increasing incredibly.
I don�t say these words aren�t commonplace because they are and everywhere in the world.

All this because one day somewhere a genius decided that parents and teachers/educators mus tolerate what has always been not tolerated.

Does this mean these words and behaviors are to be tolerated?

When I say "are these to be tolerated" I do not mean they should obligatory be faced with aggressiveness.

Aggressiveness results in aggressiveness only.

Explaining bad things to the kids and their effects is more educating than teaching.

Teaching implies a beforehand preparation and planning.
So, I can�t imagine myself coming to my class (young or adult) with a WS and a lesson plan in my hand and shouting to my Ss "Hey you, Attention please, Today we�re going to have a f* lesson about some F* words that people use in the street"

Sorry if I sound a little impolite but this how I understand it when some people tell me take it easy, be open minded, live your time, don�t be old fashioned...

PS:
We are not to be envied here in Algeria.
We have to deal with very difficult Ss and worse very difficult parents. And what the gov. is imposing us is not to make our life easier.
More some people even saw/see teachers as messengers of evil why many of us lost their lives just few years ago.

4 Oct 2008     

AnneMarck
Brazil

Somebody mentioned a lesson about swear words in the book Taboos and Issues. Well, I gave this lesson to my Ss - all of them were around 18 years old - and when I was asked the use of the word "f*ck" I told them that it could be used in many and different kinds of sentences and situations. I also gave them some examples. The next class, my Ss didn�t use this word, even ONCE, and any other one from that "swear word lesson". And it was like that until the end of the classes. So, we can�t say that, if you give any Ws about swearing to your Ss, they�ll start using it in class or even out of it. But, obviouslly, it depends on what kind of Ss you are dealing with.
For sure, I�d NEVER use this Ws in a class with Ss around 15 yrs old or a class with young adults with a child�s mind. It depends on your class if this ws is going to bring problems or not. We are all teachers and we know our Ss pretty well to select the Ws we�re going to use in class.
I downloaded this Ws for me, but, if I felt that a class is mature enough to start dealing with this kind of "everyday" language, if there was no problem on doing this and also if I felt comfortable with it, I�d surely give this kind of Ws to these Ss.

4 Oct 2008     

AnneMarck
Brazil

Goodnesses...

I don�t think you�re old fashioned or anything like that and I think nobody should say that about you.

It�s not a matter of being modern or not. Some teachers just don�t feel comfortable when taking these taboo topics to class. And that�s all! We must respect it, even if it�s not the same opinion as ours.

Here in Brazil we have the same problems with these rebel Ss and their parents who don�t educate their kids at home and think that it�s up to the teacher to make their children polite.

As I said, we have Ss and Ss. Each of them are different. Each of our classes are different. And we, as teachers, we know exactly how to deal - and how not to - with our Ss.

4 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

OK , AnneMarck
Brazil

If you think it is as important as teaching grammar, reading stories, holding a conversation around the climate change, wars in the world, family relationships, universal rights and freedoms and many other things we can use to prepare the kids to be aware of their citizenship, rights and duties, I suppose you should be right.

4 Oct 2008     

cgato
Portugal

I totally agree with you on : all this because one day somewhere a genius decided that parents and teachers/educators mus tolerate what has always been not tolerated  I would never use Marta�s ws in my classes! Nevertheless I respect the work she had making that ws. 

But she has the right to post here because it follows this site criteria!

And we shouldn�t waste our time on this because we have other more important things to talk about!
Here in Portugal it�s past midnight, so I�m going to sleep! I promised my daughter I wouldn� work tomorrow( I still have a lot of tests to correct Cry ) and I�d spend the day playing with her!
Besides English, I teach a class about.. I don�t know the correct translation, but it�s something about Civical Formation. To talk to students about tolerance, values, other countries and other religions... If you have something about the Muslim religion please tell me. After september 2001, my students have , what I think is a distorted vision of Islan!Maybe you can help me with that!Here in Portugal the main religion is Catholicism!
Thanks in advance for your time and patient!
Have a nice weekend!Big smile

4 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >