Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)    

F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)

cgato
Portugal

The yes was for goodnessesLOL
And the class I was referring to is really about that: the climate change, wars in the world, family relationships, universal rights and freedoms and many other things we can use to prepare the kids to be aware of their citizenship, rights and duties
Bye

4 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

First lesson: The weekend is over. Tomorrow it is work, work, work and work for me.
Good night and happy weekend.

4 Oct 2008     

AnneMarck
Brazil

Oh! Plz! Did I say it was important for the Ss to know how to use the word "f*uck"??

4 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Thats what I understood from your comments anne.  I still don�t understand the benefits of teaching the F word.  Can someone give me an example of a single benefit of teaching this language in class?  I am highly confused...

4 Oct 2008     

AnneMarck
Brazil

I�m really sorry, but I indeed didn�t mean that it�s important!

I just wanted to say that nowadays it�s a common word in English and Ss are gonna listen and maybe use it one day or another. And I�d NEVER give this Ws for teenagers, just for adults IF I and the Ss felt comfortable with it.

And I guess the only benefit of teaching it is learning the uses of a new word. So, it�s really not important or essential at all.

4 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hi goodnesses and vickii... and everyone else.

I�d just like to say that I�m glad that some of you have seen my point - while the worksheet may look interesting to us as an individual, I don�t think it is fit as classroom material. The F word is not a slang as vickii has pointed out, nor do we need to show children how to use it... and if we do - are we also condoning it�s use and saying it�s alright to use it? Kids look up to us and we should be very careful the type of things we teach...

4 Oct 2008     

marta73
Spain

Sorry, I have been writing about this topic on a different thread .I started it by mistake. Although I guess the discussion is already finished, I would like to add that everyword in a language is important because it describes a human emotion or experience. Maybe we have to change the  emotion so that nobody needs to expressit that way. 
I don�t agree when you say " if they want to understand the word, just watch some movies". I think that way of approaching things has been so harmful when dealing with topics such as sex and drugs, for example. We cannot leave them alone in such important aspects of  society. I may think that some war films are highly offensive, but if my children are  going to watch them anyway, I prefer they don�t do it alone and explain my point of view. Thanks to everybody for your opinions, no matter if we agree or not . This forum is so enriching.

5 Oct 2008     

Mietz
Germany

A few examples:
Last year I started teaching an adult class. Complete beginners. Asked about words they already know in English, one student grinningly announced the f***-word and the word motherf***... I cringed!!! I don�t like hearing those words at all! Never mind, that I am not a native speaker. I explained, that I don�t want that kind of language in my classroom at all. I haven�t heard it again with that class.
I have a British friend here in Germany. He is very relaxed about using the f***-word or most English swearing words for that matter. With the same relaxed attitude he used a really strong German f***-word against me that offended me so badly, that I didn�t speak to him for a while. The thing is, that he�d heard the word or seen it, but he was never told and taught not to use it. But for whatever reason he doesn�t get anyway, that I don�t appreciate that kind of language in English or in German. Must be some social background with him.
The 17 year old daughter of German friends of mine, proudly told me last year, that she called her maths teacher the same German f***-word. I felt offended for that teacher and told her, that she could lose me as a friend for that. Again - she had no idea at all about the meaning.

Point being? Swear words are part of used language. I don�t like it, but I can�t do much about it. I can try though at least to teach my students the meanings so they understand that kind of language and hopefully never use it.
I would - when I deem it appropriate etc. - use that worksheet. I think it can be absolutely useful for that and I think I can be a judge there. I�m not sure if my British friend should be a judge for that...
I think that most people here are capable of passing the judgement when to use that worksheet and when not. The people who aren�t, hopefully read and reflect on this discussion.
I�m glad the worksheet was uploaded, I�m glad I can follow this discussion and I�m glad that I can still make up my own opinion on this one.

5 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear, Mietz

No one, I think, would say that what you are pointing out is wrong.

But I have a simple question.

Following all what you said, do you really need to prepare a whole lesson with all its implications to explain to a kid, teenager and even an adult that a word i s a swear word, offensive and can lead to unwanted consequences?

Another question to make it two.

Don�t you think that, as a teacher, the educational side our job is to be left for the circumstances where what makes the difference among teachers is actually the way they react in these occasions?

5 Oct 2008     

Mietz
Germany

Dear goodnesses,

In the worksheet and the video I really appreciated the fact that an amount of aspects of this particular swear word is shown. As I said - I�d like to be left to judge where I use this worksheet or not. I can see some students of mine, who would actually benefit from this kind of lesson without me having to "tell them off". I only teach adults above the age of 20. They decide by themselves which language they use. I can only explain to them my point of view (see 1st statement). I have to be very careful though neither to moralise there nor to shock. From my experience that has worked well enough trying not to be too serious about it myself. So far I haven�t had any complaints about this in 3 years. Of course I know, that that kind of approach doesn�t work with every teacher, but just don�t use it then.
So to answer the first question: The worksheet is there and prepared. I trust myself to be able to judge the use of it. I actually think I might make use of it and therefore I might then need it. Does that disqualify me as a teacher? I think this judgement should be left to my students.

To answer the second part of your questions with another question: Is there actually THE correct way to react on these occasions? Who is passing the judgement? Another question: What is the "educational side of our job"? I�m not sure how you mean that. I know that certain reactions have to be left to the circumstances, but from my point of view I wouldn�t just call these situations the educational side of my job. May be you meant that differently.
I�ve certainly always hated situations where native speakers made fun of me using swear words and/ or double entendres. If the situation arises I make my students aware of different meanings in different situations. Should I really have to wait for my students to encounter a situation though, where they have to live with consequences of unknowingly or wrongly used language?
I would never dare telling somebody, that they have to use this worksheet to talk about this subject. Each teacher has to decide that by him- or herself. I think, that that works the same the other way round.

5 Oct 2008     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    Next >