Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > sad :(    

sad :(

miss_yanis
Argentina

sad :(

Hi everyone! I don �t usually write sad things on the forum, I �m more of a positive kind, but the truth is that today I �m feeling blue...

Influenza here is getting worse and worse, and classes will be cancelled as from this Monday on... In fact, they say holidays have benn extended, but I don �t think it �s a good solution because cinemas, theratres, shoppings and so on will still be opened to public and so the influenza will not be erradicated.

I have an 18-months-old baby, and I �m terrified with the possibility of being ill and making him ill... However, I feel only common citizens are worried about this issue, and politicians seem to look otherwise... They say they don �t call the emergency because of administrative issues! (can you believe it? How cheeky politicians can be!)

Well, sorry to bother you but I feel you �re my cyber family and wanted to share this feeling with you.

WHAT HAS EVER HAPPENED WITH INFLUENZA IN YOUR OWN COUNTRIES?

Kisses from Argentina, locked up in my house, LOL! and Thanks for being a shoulder to cry on...

Miss Yanis 

2 Jul 2009      

meuge
Argentina

Hi Yani!
Here in Santa Fe classes have been cancelled since Tuesday... I think it is a critical situation but one where we must stay calm and not to panic...  I know what you mean about being terrified with the idea of your baby getting ill... I have four children and they have all been ill, not with this influenza, just the other, which is also pretty bad... If you follow all the advises doctors give and just take into account all the measures that they give I believe everything will be all right... since we cannot trust our "so beloved politicians" Thumbs Down... 
Could you people believe that the government didn �t cancell the election where congressmen where chosen??????????? and they do it now with school and all other kind of activities... now that all political matter has passed... UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Sorry , taking everything from my chest!!!!

See you!!! Hug

M. Eugenia

2 Jul 2009     

Mariethe House
France

I can understand how terrified you must be for you and ths little baby of yours !!! What a terrible situation! I DO feel for you but I feel very hopeless! You can be sure everyone here will sympathize with you! Take care....
And a bigHugfor you and the little one!
Marieth�

2 Jul 2009     

sirah
Argentina

Hi Miss Yanis!! I am very worried too!! here in my city (Punta Alta.Bs As) we don �t have classes till 26th June!! We are in "emergencia sanitaria"  We have more than 100 people infected with influenza,even the hospital Director is ill!!! I am also locked up in my house because I have two daughters (2 and 8 years old)but unfortunately my husband works in a shop and he has to work and that is what worries me most,because we can stay indoors but he is in contact with lot of people and he can carry the virus home.
Sorry everybody for bother you but we are living a very dangerous situation and you are the only one we can meet.

hugs

2 Jul 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

Hi Miss Yani...
I understand you completely. I have three children of my own, one of which is a ten-month-old baby, I was and still am terrified of them coming down with this influenza...from my experience, I could tell you that the best thing you can do is to follow the instructions from the authorities... but from the looks of it they haven�t done all in their power to stop the contagion. So, here I go:
1. Please avoid public places. Don�t go anywhere public especially not with your child. Even the supermarket could be a dangerous place.
2. Don�t shake hands of kiss hello.
3. Avoid people who look potentially sick.
4. Wash your hands and your baby�s regularly. Carry around anti-bacterial gel.
5. Disinfect your home regularly (there�s a good disinfectant called lysol) dont forget doorknobs, kitchen counters, and even your car�s steering wheel. This liquid is also safe for your baby�s toys.
it�s kind of hard being locked up for a while, but enjoy your vacation, and your baby. I hope this helps you. I wish you all the best.

2 Jul 2009     

Marla D.
United States

Hi Yani,
Just remember. They say the best prevention is washing your hands with hot water and soap thoroughly. Dry with paper towels if you have them. Also use hand sanitizer. (Even after using the keyboard, especially if someone else uses it too.) Use it each time before you touch your baby, and after changing him. Don �t touch your hands to you mouth or nose (or face, if you can help it.) If you do go out and use a public restroom, after washing with hot water and soap, turn off the faucet with a paper towel and open the bathroom door using a paper towel. You probably know all this already, but just in case. 
I had major back surgery on May 11, and I was so afraid of getting the flu and not being able to have the surgery, or getting it right after. I was also afraid that my teenage daughter would get it while I was away. So, I understand your fears for you and your child.
Lots of hugs. Don �t worry I used hand sanitizer. Wink
Marla

2 Jul 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Yannis. Eug�nia and all of you from Argentina
I can understand how worry you are. I am sad to hear these so sad news. Here, in Portugal, we are aware, but now we are not in the critical period for influenzas. There are no serious cases, some have been reported, from people arriving from foreign countries, with strange symptoms, but, fortunately, nothing serious or even related.
If you don �t have classes, try to stay the most possible at home, try not to meet people, go to the supermarket ( protect yourself ) and buy everything you can, then close your doors and try to live inside, away from others, I can �t believe I am writing this, but if the problem is so serious, if you are in such panic, try to live away from situations you know can be dangerous.

All will be all right
A big hug to all of you

2 Jul 2009     

libertybelle
United States

You �ve gotten some great advice here and who knows better that teachers?

Good hygiene - Good hygiene-Good hygiene

wash your hands  and things you touch regularly.
Make sure everyone does the same.
Keep your house and your selves clean.

Don �t invite a lot of friends over - but tell them why.
Explain about your fear for your child.
Don �t take risks while this is going on.

Make your own food - no take outs and boil water and foods just in case.

And last, but not least - keep your immune system healthy by eating, sleeping and resting well.

Stay well
L

2 Jul 2009     

Fabiola Salinas
Argentina

Hi, Yanis! I deeply understand you, however, I believe we shouldn �t panic BUT TRY TO PREVENT further problems. Every piece of advice which has been given above is really excellent! Avoid public places above all and nothing is likely to happen. I have four children, the eldest is running a high temperature now... and I �m following what the doctor has told me.
Let �s WORRY about the kind of politicians we have in our country instead, who care about their power first , and the people �s needs in the last place (if they really care...)
Hope everything goes fine in all our families... xxx, Fabiola (from C�rdoba)

2 Jul 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

Thank you all for your support, and as I �ll be locked up here for a month, I �ll take advantage of the time and create some more worksheets! LOL!

Thanks for making me feel so much better! we Argentinians are not alone!!

Let �s put our heads up and hope this blooded influenza leaves quickly!

Big hugs!

Miss Yanis

2 Jul 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

Hi Miss Yanis, I just want to send my good wishes along to you too.....keep well and take good care of yourself and your sweet baby!! Hugs ! from Israel

2 Jul 2009     

1    2    3    Next >