Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Misusing the forum    

Misusing the forum

Sonn
Russian Federation

graca pereira, you are right. But how will we know a person has a birthday? I often visit the cafe, but I don �t do it every time and every day I enter this wonderful site. But what I see every time I do it are the messages on the forum.

BTW, on some forums there is a function where people can see who has a birthday on this or that day. e.g. if a person enters the site on April,2 he/she can see whose BD is celebrated on the 2d of April, if s/he enters it on September,23 s/he can see whose BD is celebrated on September, 23, etc.

Maybe it is possible to make it here? For example, above the button which leads to the cafe there could be a sentence like this: "Today is  ____ �s Birthday. You are welcome to congratulate her/him on it in our woderful cafe" or something like this. And in our profiles we could enter not only our names, but also the day and the month when we were born (the year is not necessary, but possible to mention). The people who don �t want to state this information would not enter it in the profile. This would allow the system to generate a list of birthday people and everyone would be able to congratulate them on it.

But I don �t know if it is an easy thing  to do.

2 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Aimee REALLY �s got a point !!

2 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

The truth is that MJ Misa is right. It does say in the rules:

�If you want to share photos, wishes, funny videos, etc. please use the "teachers � cafe", not the forum. �

The truth is that I don �t agree with the rule - I think it should be acceptable to wish people a happy birthday on the forums. It lets other people know that it is someone �s birthday and allows people to feel special.

The problem is that other people may not agree with more important rules like copying or using watermarked clip art. I don �t think we can fairly enforce one rule and not enforce another (however minor it appears).

I move to have the rule changed but until then I think we should respect it.

2 Apr 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I just want to torture you a little, so will you please tell us when your birthday is so that we can misuse the forum again!!!Smile

2 Apr 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Don �t bother about my birthday, Mariethe. I used to write it here, but then I deleted it because I don �t go to caf� and my friends do know when it is. So there is no need to misuse the space on the forum for this instead of more important topics. Maybe then people wouldn �t have to ask several times for help, if the forum was used for things it is supposed to.Disapprove

2 Apr 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I wish there was a way to advertise someone �s birthday on the forum (or the main page) but with a disabled reply button. That way, we would know and we could send the person a private message or post something in the cafe.

2 Apr 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I think an easy way to go is to delete all the pics some time after. Wishes themselves don �t take as much space as the pics.
MJ is right, in fact she �s just stated the rules. It �s the server that �s not really endless, we should think about it. At least for those who past pics in their wishes, may be you should take time to delete them a day after.

2 Apr 2010     

AJFC
Portugal

Hi, I think MJ is right!

And I �m sorry for my own mistakes, as  I usually love to put images on my topics and one of them was to thank ESL community. It would have been more appropriate to do that on "caf�", but I must confess I was not aware of all rules.

So, is it possible for me to delete a topic?

Thanks, everybody and from now on, let �s meet on "Caf�"!;)*

2 Apr 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

As I can see, the great majority enjoys and likes to wish happy birthday in the forum, so I think Victor should reconsider this rule

2 Apr 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi!
I do not quite agree with you, as far as birthdays are concerned... I think they make this place a wonderful human community, full of friends... With Victor �s new system ( ie : we can see the last message only ) I think it �s fine...I/we know the Caf�, but messages disappear, & we live in different parts of the World...If/when people do not send BIG ( !!) pictures, I �d think it �s OK, & nice, & quite refreshing after a loooong school day...to see warm & kind messages...
Maybe that �s not following the rules to �the letter �...but that �s a positive way to see things, don �t you think ??Wink I �m thankful to the person who posted Linda �s ( Zora) birthday today : When logging in tonight, I was glad to send her my best & friendly wishes...
Sylvie

2 Apr 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    Next >