Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A new rule against flashcards?    

A new rule against flashcards?

victor
Spain

A new rule against flashcards?

Hi dear friends,

I was wondering if we should set a new rule not allowing flashcards anymore.
I �ll explain my reasons:

This is a website for creative teachers, and we are supposed to share our own creations. But the flashcards are just collections of pictures taken from internet or books. Users who upload worksheets don �t draw them themselves (in most of the cases), they just add borders, frames, or the words.

I think the main rule would be "don �t send contributions in which the main value is not your own work". But that is  something that we can �t judge or measure. For this reason I think we could set a new rule (to be applied from now on - not retroactive) not allowing flashcards.

Please tell me what do you think.

9 Sep 2011      

ALI ALI
Egypt

Hello Victor,
thanks a lot for restoring my account. well I think that we all start our lessons with flash cards and although we can get free flash cards from other sites, but still flash cards are considered as an important Esl resource and as a member in ESL printaples, I like to get all my teaching materials from here rather than looking for them in other sites. So please don �t set this rule, you can change it into a free section like templates, but we do need them. best regards, Amira

9 Sep 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

Ali Ali you make a good point. Having everything in one place is really nice when searching. Your idea about maybe having flashcards in the free section like the templates is a good one too. And Victor you �re right too about limited original work added to most, but maybe a compromise can be reached with Ali Ali �s idea?
Let �s see what Victor and other members think.

9 Sep 2011     

languageleader88
Andorra

I agree with Ali Ali. I think flashcards must be in a free section such like templates that we can download. They are very useful and we really need them. Of course it is against the rules, and we need to be creative, but all of us know we need flashcards for our classroom. So, please V�ctor don �t set this rule.

9 Sep 2011     

lady_gargara
Turkey

if we want to create something original as fcs we have to draw them ourselves which is impossible for most of us. But Ali Ali �s idea is reasonable.

9 Sep 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hi.
This year I started teaching 1st Graders and since then I have downloaded a lot of flashcards, as I found them really useful. I agree with Victor that there is not much original work added, but the same are pictionaries, bingos... are they also be forbidden?
I think Ali �s idea is good, because flashcards are useful and helpful, especially for young learners. So I don �t think we should get rid off flashcards at all.
Just my humble opinion.

Have a great weekend everybody, Michaela

9 Sep 2011     

mmbermejo
Spain

I like teaching with Flash Cards and young learners like looking at them. I think that collect them is a hard work. Please allow them. They are very necessary!

Have a nice weekend!

9 Sep 2011     

mariamit
Greece

I also agree. Flashcards are an important language teaching tool. Ali Ali �s idea can allow us to find them here.
Have a great weekend everyone.

9 Sep 2011     

kinniejane
Russian Federation

Dear, Viktor, we really need them!

9 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

1) I think there are lots of them in the site already, like a whole lot, tons to be precise.
2) Amira �s idea to publish the flashcards in a free "flashcards" section or even transfer those already published on the site to this new section is quite an option. Or would it be a lot of trouble?
3) On the other hand flashcards are the easy way for new members (or those who have used up all their points) to get the needed points to download the ws they want for their classes.

I myself don �t have any flashcards in my "arsenal", but I do have a set of speaking cards thought, which might appear as a set of pics from the web with some words added... I did spend some time creating them, and, if one day I needed something like that, I would definitely appreciate the time an available set could save me.

Thanks, dear Victor, for letting us all have a say. And thank you for providing the service to us, though it must be quite challenging at times with the ever growing community. Keep up the good work and do know it IS greatly appreciated.

Sophia

9 Sep 2011     

Natalie simon
Germany

Hi everybody,
 As Ali Ali said It �s better to get all our tools from here, please don �t set this rule.

9 Sep 2011     

1    2    3    4    Next >