Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Inappropriate worksheet content    

Inappropriate worksheet content

fletsch
Canada

Inappropriate worksheet content

I was on elsprintables this morning and came across a worksheet by "iagomez alfonso".  It was a worksheet on female and male genitals.  The worksheet has diagrams of female and male genitals and then 2 crosswords to go along with the diagrams.  This worksheet is inappropriate for this website as well as for ESL teaching.  I looked at other worksheets by this user and found a PPT on �Jokes about Women�.  I can tell you that any woman I know would be offended by this, let alone ESL students.  The genitals worksheet I would never, ever download or even  imagine bringing into my classroom of University students.  I think that all of us at ESLprintables should boycott his worksheets, etc, and I think his account should be closed.  In my opinion, this is not the place for that type of material. 

26 Sep 2008      

goodnesses
Algeria

I absolutely agree with you.

If the purpose is to give the SS (more importantly the young ones) some general knowledge about intimate parts of the body, it can�t be but the job of the parents themselves and/or some specialized people/teachers in some particular situations. That is absolutely not the job of an English language teacher.

Don�t tell me what about parents/Ss who aren�t native speakers because I can return the question; What is the benefit for an Argentine, Brazilian, Turkish or Algerian SS to know about these intimate genital parts except maybe for young "adult" when and only when dealing with biology with their teacher of biology not of English.
We should be aware that there are sensitive issues we have to deal with with a lot of precaution. Some are particular to the different cultures and religions, some are common to most of them as the one here.

What I am mean here is more to protect (in many cases) the teacher than the Ss. Don�t you know that a lot of teachers have been accused of the most unthinkable things and where even sentenced to unbelievable sanctions. All this because one day they open "maybe innocently" the way to discussion about some political, cultural issues thinking they were just teaching their kids universal freedoms and liberties and how to express themselves.

And what makes this situation worse than any other conflictual one is that most of the time there is no real evidence to determine whho is wrong and who is right. There are only the words/affirmation of one side against those of the other.

Maybe iagomez has only good intentions or because he�s young (according to his avatar) but he should be careful, Very careful when dealing with some topics. He should take all the precautions so that these don�t bring him the opposite effects he was expecting.

Finally, if we admit that he did this with his PP without any regrettable effects because the situation/his situation in his school allowed him to, this does not allow him (in my opinion) to publish such WS here in this site. Because if some one here is really in need to deal with this kind of topic so she/he can find tons of material on the net to prepare his lesson without involving the site.

At least by respect to many of this site members. ((There is a "speech" for every place and a "place" for every speech.))

26 Sep 2008     

mmaarriiaa
Australia

I was truly shocked when I saw this worksheet, and i hope that iagomez removes this worksheet from the site. it is�inappropriate, and I agree with Fletsch, people who upload that kind of inappropriate material should have their accounts closed.

26 Sep 2008     

edylec
Poland

For me it was stupid topic.

26 Sep 2008     

edylec
Poland

I mean these worksheet. I won�t download it:/

26 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi,

first of all, I don�t use this type of topics in my classroom. One of the reason is that I think these sensitive topics should be dealt at home. However, what happens when they are not dealt at home? but that is another issue!

I don�t believe that the reproductive system should be an offence for anyone. However, I do agree it is a sensitive topic and more like a taboo in probabaly most societies (I include mine), and so it provokes all kinds of reactions among people.

I am sure this contributor did not want to offend any of us, probably he is teaching English related to biology and this topic is part of his school syllable. I think one should not be so hard on people who have different views.

To sum up,  I am not the person to say whether it must be removed or not. For me, it is a sensitive topic, but others may see it differently.

26 Sep 2008     

jcirnes
Mexico

Come on! Are we the inquisition? If you wouldn�t use the material, DON�T DOWNLOAD IT. Who appointed us judges here? so much for free speech. I�m dissapointed.

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

No, we aren�t inquisitive at all.
Are you aware at least whom you�re taliking to and what you�re taliking about?
We�re just giving a piece advice to someone who seem not having a lot experience?
Every body is free in his way of teaching. As everybody is responsible of his acts. We don�t need any lesson about this and everybody knows what the inquisition "was".
You seem not understand that the problem is not downloading or not this kind of WS. The problem is why do you provoke people to react unexpectedly since you can avoid it?
Was is really necessary to upload this WS knowing that there are thousands of members (what makes the value of this site) from tens of different cultural, religious, racial backgrounds.
Don�t pretend this is just teaching vocabulary. Because each kind of vocabulary is taught at a specific age of the SS with specific ways and resources.
This member seem to teach very young Ss if we refer to his other WS which are by way acceptable if not very good as far as teaching methodology and rules are concerned.
If you feel that you are so free to teach any way, anyhow, please do, but neither try to banalize certain issues nor diabolize those who try to put some guide lines as to avoid any kind of abuse.

Who told you this site is a
universal freedoms or rights defenders corner ?
So let�s keep things in their right place. Should you have forget, I remind you that this site is dedicated to teachers and teaching ideas and resources?
PS: Your avatar is very explicit.

26 Sep 2008     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Goodnesses,

"This member seem to teach very young Ss if we refer to his other WS which are by way acceptable if not very good as far as teaching methodology and rules are concerned." Don�t pretend this is just teaching vocabulary. Because each kind of vocabulary is taught at a specific age of the SS with specific ways and resources"
Do you really know about it? Probably, he has groups of different ages. Perhaps, for his school, these subjects are ok.

"The problem is why do you provoke people to react unexpectedly since you can avoid it?"

Probably, he was not aware that this topic would cause such a stir in other people. (Besides, in my opinion, the ws, is not done disrespectfully)

Anyway, I do not want to discuss more about this subject. You do not say swearwords but you do answer in a rude way and ironically.

I respect your point of view but do not take for granted things you do not know and accuse others without really knowing about their students and school, real intentions and cultural background.

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Try to read carefully before saying silly things.
Then make up your mind?

I was in no way rude or offending towards anyone.
But if you think accusing people of being inquisitive is kind , sorry I can�t but just advise you to re-check your history knowledge.

The discussion is over for me at least.

26 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

I can�t stand some one accusing me of being inquisitive.
If you can bear it it is up to you.

26 Sep 2008     

1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >