Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)    

F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)

Zora
Canada

F*cking Worksheet (Excuse my language)

Hmm...isn�t it funny how someone posting a worksheet on the human reproductive system i.e. genitals gets a huge outcry because it is considered quite inappropiate yet nobody, except another English speaker (since I too find it to be a bit offensive) has complained about the worksheet on the usage of the work "fuck".

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=113128#comments

In fact this worksheet has over 80 downloads.

As a native speaker, I find the usage of this word to be highly offensive in whatever shape or form. I have seen the youtube video it was based on (and copied literally word for word...)  and while it was done in a tongue and cheek way, it is still not considered something that I�d be teaching adults or teenagers.

3 Oct 2008      

Mishuna
Argentina

Hi zora, I partly agree with you. I would never use it with my young children in the private school. However, as this word actually exists and it�s very "available" in the media, most teenagers use it without knowing its real meaning. I have to say that I�m not against teaching swearing words because they are part of the culture of a language. Moreover, I strongly believe that language is very very connected with its culture. In fact, there�s a book called "Taboos and Issues" that has several units to read, speak and write about themes that are not commonly in regular books.
I have used the swearing unit with my teenagers students and they were very interested (of course with the premission of my boss). I was scared because I had thought that they wouldn�t take the lesson seriously but it turn out to be a very good class and they respected a lot the culture and the language too. I think that if the teacher makes clear the usage of the word, it�s acceptable. After all, it�s part of this precious language. I always bear in mind that a good teacher also has to know whether a topic is suitable for a student and must take into account their needs and interests.
This is the link if you want to see the book I�m referring too. You have to click on "Agree" and it will download:
http://englishtips.org/index.php?newsid=1150790117

3 Oct 2008     

mowells
United Kingdom

I have just seen the F***ing Worksheet and was horrified at the tone it was written in. It gives the impression it is funny to use this word but as a native of England I can tell you it�s not. It is regarded as a highly offensive word and people using it in public are considered to be a disgrace.
Some schools give their students detentions for using the �f� word in school. Thats how serious we take it here.
Think again before you teach it to your students. You could give them the wrong impression.

3 Oct 2008     

Mishuna
Argentina

Hi mowells, I know what you mean and I really understand you. What I meant is that, as teacher (and being carefully with the type of students) we are supposed to teach the whole language. The good and the bad. I�m not saying that it�s a word to use, but it�s not such a bad idea to teach it and give them the message that it�s incorrect and very offensive to use it. Students are learning to communicate and this is communication too. I think that in life we don�t have to say only NO, we also have to say the PURPOSE, the REASON why they shouldn�t say that word.
Some schools give their students detentions for using the �f� word in school.This is an example of the reasons I was talking about. Here, in Argentina, it�s a very common word used by almost every learner. I gave that class because I wanted them to know that if they go to England (to give an example) they will be very rude and offensive if they use that "common" and well-known word. The fact of being common doesn�t say that they know the real meaning.
It�s my opinion and of course I�m not a native speaker.

3 Oct 2008     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Hi Zora and Mishuna,

How are you doing??? I hope you�re fine...

Well, I have to say that I "COMPLETELY" agree with Mishuna, and by doing so, I disagree, in PARTS, with you Zora!!
I agree that the word fuck is considered highly offensive and that the worksheet with the genitals caused a lot of outcry and if anyone wants to check it, just go to... (I think ur opinion will be very important, I�ve given mine!!!!)

the link for the Genital worksheet is: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=109864#thetop
The forum link about it is: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=320

But I have to disagree with you when you say you�d never use both of the worksheets, �coz sometimes we change our minds... As a native I think you�re right, there�s no curiosity about this word, but as an EFL teacher, sometimes we realize that is important to bring some taboos to the class and the use of the word fuck is one of them...
And about the genital worksheet, If I were doing a project on the body or teaching a special course for medical students, the worksheet would be appropriate...

So, what I mean is... if you were teaching your language in an other country, maybe these two worksheets would be appropriate... of course according to the needs of your students...

A little kiss for everybody(*.*)

3 Oct 2008     

miss_marina...
Chile

There�s been a general agreement that the F word is highly offensive. But you have to keep in mind that it�s part of the language we are teaching. We can find the F word everywhere now. You just have to turn on your Tv.  But, If you think that your students are not mature enough to deal with these kind of topics. Just don�t teach it. And that�s it. Maybe in the future, they will find out for themselves.

3 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Hello Beauty Smile ... while I have no problem with the word in itself, I have, in the past, and in a very flippant way told students that if they want to use the word in my class at least conjugate it properly and that it is a regular verb! :-)

But, believe it or not, the worksheet in question and the expressions that are given, the whole tone of the worksheet as stated by mowells - is quite offensive to us native speakers. I would, in fact, not use that particular worksheet - ever. I did see it, thought "wow... interesting"...  and then was totally turned off by the "tone" and examples given there...

I know that many here might not catch the "nuances" but the sheet and expressions could be considered offensive and while I am in agreement that the "f" word is everywhere, the way the subject is presented in that particular worksheet makes me cringe..

And in Canada, a student also would be given a detention for using the word... 

3 Oct 2008     

Mishuna
Argentina

Hi wakebeauty, I cannot agree more with you
As a native I think you�re right, there�s no curiosity about this word, but as an EFL teacher, sometimes we realize that is important to bring some taboos to the class and the use of the word fuck is one of them...
You have explained why we, non-native speakers, disagree with native speakers, and viceversa.
This is an amazing topic to be discussed with native speakers because they can help us understand better the use of this kind of words. Thanks Zora for bringing it up.

3 Oct 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Sometimes we forget all of us come from so different cultural backgrounds that what is natural for some is not for others.

For a Greek person is quite natural to see a nude one as body represents "beauty" . Nothing to hide.
Meanwhile, people from other lands would never  just consider it.

In a place like this, tolerance and kindness should be the keys.

You do not like the subject, just let it go. Maybe others do and find it useful.

We should not judge but share.

3 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Sorry to make it sound like we are judging...but we are not ... we are cautioning people to be careful with the worksheet�s topic since there are some swear words in English that are extremely offensive and if used wrongly could literally get you in a lot of trouble...

I have not in any way said people should not download it, I had only meant to point out that it seems that "swears" are more acceptable than the human body and that, my friends, is sad...  

3 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I don�t care how often it is used in movies.  IT is an offensive word that offends people.  If someone said this to a teacher at my old school they would be suspended.  I am surprised that so many people think it is a wonderful subject to teach.  If you want some slang words to teach there are many colourful phrases that are commonly used and not nearly as offensive.  F**k is a swear word - not slang!  We call it a swear word because it offends people.  Surely if students are ready to understand the versatility of such an offensive word they could just watch a few american movies - does it really need to be taught.

Whenever I have heard the word used in a classroom setting - it has been done so with furtive looks in my direction.  I have explaied it is an offensive word that offends me and will not be toelrated in the classroom and then I provide them with some alternatives to use that are not so offensive. 

I can�t really understand under what circumstances this word becomes a good topic for conversation. 

3 Oct 2008     

1    2    3    4    5    Next >