Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > How about crowning a worksheet of the day?    

How about crowning a worksheet of the day?

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Sylvie,

I can see you really decided to go (again). I am really sorry what has happened in this discussion. Let me say a big THANK YOU for everything you have ever done not only for me, but for all members of this site. I �ll be happy if you contact me via e-mail or my Facebook account and stay in touch with me. You are one of the best people I have ever met here, even thought we didn �t agree on some things sometimes.

Have a great time my dear.

Kisses, Michaela

17 Feb 2011     

zailda
Brazil

I completely understand Sylvie�s position. In the past I let the heated arguments on the forum get on my nerves and was about to leave the site when the new rules were set. I even stopped sending my contributions for months, but now I see that the �emotional� thing doesn�t have a place here. If we get angry, disappointed, offended, hurt, etc., etc., every time someone tells us something we wouldn�t like to listen or we think we don�t deserve, the best thing is to keep away from the forum, because with more than 400,000 teachers there�ll always be some who deeply disagree with us.

I�m here 1) for professional purposes (improving my work, learning new approaches and techniques, finding inspiring designs and layouts, downloading ready-to-use worksheets when I don�t have the time to prepare one or run out of good ideas to start one from scratch, etc�.). 2) The sharing & helping attracts me, I do like to help people who are starting and also to get help from colleagues when I need some. 3) The forum, that�s a great resource for links, sites, videos, etc.

Each one has his own purposes, and there are some who want to be rewarded for their hard work and progress. Why not? But each time we leave the cooperative thing to adopt a competition we lose manners, time and� some members as it happened in the past and is happening right now.

Let�s make is less personal and ignore the ones who want visibility through their aggressive manners and words.

@Sylvie: I regret you leaving the site (again), and hope you can return (again) later. Thanks for your help and wise words even the ones I don�t really agree with.

Cheers

Zailda

17 Feb 2011     

mdros
Spain

I �m really sorry , Sylvie. It �s such a pity you leave this site. Cry  One of the things I always teach my ss is RESPECT and MANNERS. We �re a huge community and I guess it is kind of easy to find not respectful people. I think RESPECT should be rule no. 1.

17 Feb 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

How about crowning a worksheet of the day? Have you ever wondered why there isn �t an English Academy (along the lines of the Real Academia Espa�ola, the Acad�mie Fran�aise etc)? Well, basically for the same reasons that electing or �crowning � one worksheet among many won �t work. 

1. How do you decide who decides what is worthy and what isn �t? Which leads to...
2. Most people here (English teachers/Anglophiles etc) just don �t like- as this �debate � has shown -  being subjected to what might be perceived as �top-down � initiatives from self-appointed governors, especially when they believe they have better ideas themselves. Who, by the way, designs the process? Should there be a short list? Should it go to a general vote? Will votes then be transferable?
3. Ultimately, the whole elitist concept of a �crowned � worksheet will chime with some and jibe with others and needlessly opens a whole new can of wriggly things... As Ed jokingly suggested, there �s the issue of �me, me! �  and the subsequent bruised egos and prima donna behaviour to contend with, with people flouncing off for the silliest reasons and imagined slights - entertaining though this might be to some.

It �s unworkable, unrealistic, divisive and elitist; I vote we drop the whole idea completely - or, at least until the next time someone wants to shake the hive.

17 Feb 2011     

Apodo
Australia

What a vitriolic diatribe!

17 Feb 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you Apodo, you �ve just taught me two words !  It �s a shame the reason why !
Let �s drop it, people ... Have a good night, everyone

17 Feb 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

@ sylvie

My dear, so right you are.

All my support.

kiss
Linda

18 Feb 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Really, who wants a king or queen here?

On the other hand, I must admit I like Regina �s "brutal honesty", in Melahel �s accurate words.

I loved to read you all.

18 Feb 2011     

Aimee/S.
Israel

You have my love and my support forever.
J �admire ton courage
 Aimee/S

18 Feb 2011     

Marywell
Poland

what happened to you blunderbuster? Bad day? Ill? tired? drunk? All these ideas and complaints don �t make sense.
A few months ago there was an idea of choosing the best worksheets. Unfortunatelly, I cannot find this thread. I don �t know who put it forward and what the title was. It just seems to me that you blunderbuster were also aginst choosing the best uploads. And now...?

People, DO READ THE DESCRIPTION that is (or should be) NEXT TO EACH WS OR PPT AND HAVE A CLOSER LOOK BEFORE DOWNLOADING PARTICULAR MATERIAL AND YOU WON �T GET DISAPPOINTED!!!

If you don �t feel like reading the description or previewing the content and just download whatever looks nice, it �s your problem, don �t blame anybody; it �s a problem of those who download and not of those who upload.

Last but not least, if you don �t have time to check what you download I doubt you �ll have time to find that "special, unique, creative worksheet", so you should admit it �s a bad bad bad idea to "crown" somebody.

18 Feb 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    Next >