Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I īm quite disappointed.........    

I īm quite disappointed.........

JulietaVL
Mexico

Oh... I have a worksheet with some cow clipart I took from one of Katiana`s worksheets, I asked her for permission, she accepted...

Mmm... and as far as I remember that`s all

8 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Come on, people.
We all use the same tools and it is not possible to be much more original any more. Today,8-1-2010, we are 289323 registered users and we have 255059 printables, 19437 powerpoints and 2722 online exercises. 

How is it possible to be original? If there is the original creator īs name in the properties, fine - I also vote for removal. But the other day there wasn īt and most of the moderators voted for removal as well. Is it fair? No, I don īt think so.

@Samantha: I changed the style a bit, so no one could accuse me of stealing a layout. But anyone can make these layouts - just word frames and shapes.

I don īt agree that all layouts are stolen. It īs sooooo easy to create them by just looking them in the preview.

My point of view. Michaela

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I hope you don īt get offended but you once told me that you only use images you bought from some website, and that was why you did not want people copying things from you, but the SENNYNHA image (which is from a Brazilian NGO and it īs not available for selling) I mention is from one of your wss.

So my point is... everybody uses every now and then stuff they īve taken from others to create THEIR OWN esl resource. Because of the fact that you used an image without asking, mentioning, and that you īre not even allowed to, is your work less honest or are you a īlazy teacher � that could have taken the time to find free stuff?!

If you allow me, I would like to answer my own question: I don īt think so.

If you use things you can create without asking, how come people have to ask for yours?
Do you understand what I mean by COHERENCE.

I hope you understand all my examples and I beg your pardon for using your ws as an example for the reasons of my beliefs.

8 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi Bruna, again :-)

I understand what you mean, I īm not sure if you have seen my previous comment but as I īve mentioned, I was the one to report the worksheet the first time, because I thought it was Eva īs. And in fact the worksheet had been used as a template. I don īt know about the other reported worksheets you mentioned.
But I can only tell you that for sure you can re-create it, it īs a simple layout so why use other people īs work as template. If it īs so simple then why not do it myslef instead of copying. I can assure you that no-one can make two identical layouts, same colour and position of Texts and  cliparts in the same place. If so, it īs a copied work. You can be inspired as it was mentioned before by Moravc but even inspiration doesn īt make you come up with identical copies. 
If you give paper, a pen and colour red to two students and ask them to draw a house.. I doubt the drawings would come up exactly the same.
I don īt know if you get what I mean.
Maybe if this person liked so much that layout and it īs soo simple to make, why not try to make a similar one,... and I can assure you that you might add more circles, a different colour, maybe a box.. a line.. and that īs it...it īs different.. It īs not exactly the same now.

Some people don īt mind sharing their worksheet as templates at all. What īs more, a member was uploading loads of games as templates for people to make their own.. I personally think that this is not a stationary site where you can find such things but well.. if you can īt against them just join them!... :-)
I wanted to say something else, of course the site is for ESL resources not for graphic designers.. but isnīt it fantastic that through this many people were so inspired that started drawing and creating their own cliparts, that started mastering ppts... word tools, that were inspired and encouraged to give way to their creativity and even publish books!? wow

Off to bed!

8 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I don īt agree with Julieta on the last one.
I remember wss removed because they LOOKED similar, but there were not proof the layout was copied. I īd understand that in case of some particular wss, but otherwise all this shout about layouts seems to me much fuss about nothing, sorry.

8 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

?? which one?

but the SENNYNHA image

I sent you a pm

8 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Bruna, I do not get mad...

I am not fighting, we are just sharing our points of view..

I did not get that clipart from a Brazilian site... I do not remember from where, but I do remember taking some clipart from here and it is FREE

8 Jan 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Dear Julieta, that īs not my point. You don īt have to look for them... we are not allowed to use images like garfield, the simpson, pink panther and sooooooooooooooooo many others (even if we mentioned where we got it from).

So, if that is... how can we draw the line?!?!?! If not difficult, it īs impossible, that īs my point.

And while things are the way they are in here, I will never understand how come people don īt want to share graphics - since the point of the website is ENGLISH LEARNING RESOURCES.

I wish I also have cleared my point to you. It is you personal work, yes. But we īll never stop using OTHER PEOPLE īS WORK (with and without formal permission).

If I need other people īs help to make my wss more appealing to the eye, how can I deny helping others?!

Hugs, Bruna

8 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Got your point Bruna...

mmm... my brain is too tired to keep on thinking, lol...

almost 1:00 a.m in Mexico... I will continue reading this interesting thread tomorrow morning, see ya!

8 Jan 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Well.....the eternal topic!! 
1. I do not see a necessary act to leave a comment when you vote for a ws to be removed. I let comments when I think it is necessary. If we see a blank page reported.......what else can be said? "This is a blank page. Please delete it?" No. We just vote for it to be removed. 

2. Layouts...layouts....Did I tell you what  happened to me some weeks ago, when another member used some of my things? Well......i recognized my work as i didn īt quite cut it properly, but I used it on a white background...so it wasn īt noticed. But another member took it and used it on a colored background. One could easily see the cuttings there. I sent her/him a PM apologizing (ironically) that i didn īt cut them well. I got the answer back: NEVER MIND!!
So....using is one thing(even you don īt ask)......but being rude and having the nerve to be ironical after all...is stealing!!!!

8 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >